Sleepy Raspberry Lemon Poppy Seed Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 8, 2011

I wish I could say that I’ve played an instrumental role in the building of our fence, but I’d be lying. Although I did cook up some mean deer sausages for Kevin last night, so that has to count for something.

…. right?

I can’t believe how much they’ve gotten done in just 4 days. Don’t forget, they’re doing 4 rows!

We the boys still have to: extend the deck, make the gates, get top soil, figure out what the plan is for the grass + trees.

Okay, on to one of my favorite breakfasts… sleepy smoothies!

Mmm a smoothie enjoyed on our new deck would be nice, don’t you think?

[You can always count on me for bringing food into the equation]

[print_this]

Sleepy Raspberry Lemon Poppy Seed Smoothie

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

A lemon poppy seed muffin breakfast in glass!

• 1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk *see note
  • 1/2 cup raspberries
  • 2 tbsp uncontaminated rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • zest from 1 small lemon
  • pinch white stevia powder

Toppings: raspberries + lemon

To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance.

Combine all ingredients in a glass container [I like to use mason jars and give it a quick shake] and place in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, pour ingredients into blender and process until smooth.

I’ve had people tell me they blend all of the ingredients the night before, then let it sit overnight [say if you have a roommate that doesn't like the sound of a blender waking them up at 4am].

If you need added protein, don’t be afraid to add protein powder to the mix before letting it sit overnight.

*note: I used a combination of rice and hemp milk, but any non-dairy milk would be good!

[/print_this]

The creation of this bad boy was brought on by frustration, honestly.

I’d tried to make a batch of lemon poppy seed muffins with raspberry filling over the weekend. And, well, let’s just say the dogs wouldn’t even eat them if they were offered. Warning: poppy seeds are toxic to dogs… maybe comparing the taste of the muffins to our dogs’ palates was a bad idea, but you get the point.

Maybe I went overboard on the baking soda? I really don’t know what happened, but it was all bad.

So, with a saddened tummy, and a cooling rack full of gooey yellow blobs, I threw some of the muffin ingredients in a mason jar, put it in the fridge, and went to bed with a bounce in my step.

Why the bounce? Because there’s nothing better than waking up to a jar full of smoothie ingredients. 20 seconds, it’s in a glass and you have a big smile on your face. Best of all – you claim 10 minutes of your morning back that you can use to relax before your day starts.

Thankfully this mixture didn’t look bad, it smelled good, and thankfully, it was SO much better than the muffins.

Success!

On a completely different topic, be sure to check out my guest post on Amy’s blog, Simply Sugar & Gluten Free!

What’s the worst kitchen flop you’ve had lately?

What do you do when you bake something that really, really doesn’t work?

Lisa @ Healthful Sense

Hi Leanne! That looks yummy to wake up to in the Morning. I luv adding chia seeds to smoothies. Great way to sneak in some iron and omegas. Have a great day!

Andrea @ Vegvacious

I love ‘muffin’ smoothies ~ especially when enjoyed out on a brand spankin’ new deck on a gorgeous sunny morning ;-) This one looks fantastic! If I have a flop, I usually pout for just a minute or two ;-) and then toss it and try again!

I salvage 99% of what I make!

I dont really cook with much baking soda/powder or flour. I find that those things can give things crazy textures and flavors in a hurry!

Therefore everything I DO cook (baking not cooking im talking) is either raw/vegan or no-bake.

Meaning, tons of nut butter, various dry’s like oats or cereals, lots of sugar and vanilla extract, butter, agave, etc…there is no way I would ever pitch that stuff. I always find a way to make it all work!

I

I love making your recipes, they always work out perfectly. You’re right, when you get into the flours, baking sodas/powders, it can get so tricky!

Kaitlyn

These smoothies look so refreshing!! A great summer pre-lifting smoothie. My sleepy smoothies haven’t been thickening up like this one looks, but hopefully the chia seeds will help. Do you use the whole lemon rind, pit an all? Just peel it and pop it in?

One of the first times I ever baked I made chocolate chip cookies. The batter tasted great, a sure sign the cookies will be good. Then I put all the raw cookies in the oven at the same time and…burned every. single. one.

You’re right, this sleepy smoothie was definitely the thickest of them all. I don’t like my smoothies too thick, but if you do, just remove 1/4 cup of milk and see if that’s a bit better for you.
Just grate the rind and put the grated rind into the smoothie. I’ve never thought to use the whole peel, I think it’d be pretty bitter!

Michelle {lively kitchen}

I hate when baked goods go bad and you’ve wasted all the time, effort and ingredients. I made a rather unpleasant version of cookies a few weeks ago. Even the kids wouldn’t eat them.

It takes a lot for me to make a chocolate free smoothie, but a lemon based one sounds great. Thanks for another recipe!

Holly @ The Runny Egg

I love lemon poppyseed foods! This looks so good and I really like the “overnight oats blended up types smoothies” — I didn’t think I would but I love the texture.

Too bad about the muffins — I have flops all the time. I try to be creative but it doesn’t always work out!

I thought the texture would be a little odd too, but I think it’s all about how much oats you add to the mix. More than 1/4 cup just doesn’t do it for me!

Erin

Can’t wait to try this for Breakfast!

Faith @ lovelyascharged

Dang it, I knew I should’ve gotten raspberries this weekend! I rolled with blackberries instead…but this is at the top of my list for next week!

O.C.

Ohh I feel your pain!
This weekend I tried to do a gf and vegan banana PB bread that turned out like a big ol’ pile of icky banana-y mush. It has now become a topping for my breakfast oats for the week so It wasn’t all bad :)
Your smoothie looks great by the way, I love the idea of making them before bed so you save time in the morning!

Vicky

I try to save the flops and use them for something else. Sometimes it gets a bit tricky. I made a batch of oatmeal cookies last month and accidentally grabbed 1/2 T instead of a 1/2 tsp and added salt to the mix! I was on the phone and not really paying attention to what was going on. I normally avoid salt to begin with so I just had to throw these away they were so bad. I felt bad because I grew up in a house where it was bad to throw food out.

With the smoothie recipe, am I zesting the lemon peel and using that? I really enjoyed your smooothie recipes from last month! I have one for breakfast every morning and I after you posted about putting them through the blender the night before, that’s what I’ve been doing. It makes for a happier house in the morning :)

Sara Grambusch

Oh that looks interesting. I just made this horrible smoothie I couldn’t even drink. That’s never happened before so now I feel smoothie-defeated. I can come back from this! :)

JT

This is a bit off topic since it has nothing to do with baking flops but….this is the best time of year for the simple fact that the lilac bushes are in bloom. If you have some spare room in your yard for a lilac bush or two, you will not be disappointed. I have a couple huge ones and they make the whole yard smell yummy in the spring. It’s just too bad that they only bloom for a short while. *sigh* :) :)

Thank you, JT! We had a lilac bush in one of our homes growing up, and I loved it! Thanks for the reminder :) I’ll definitely be putting that on the list!

starjumper

so i think poppy seeds are on my “no go list”, would you omit them or replace them, and what with?

Hmm… you could just make it a lemon raspberry smoothie! The poppy seed flavor is so subtle, so it’s okay to remove it.

Ragnhild

Yay, this smoothie looks really good! Guess it was meant that the muffins shouldnt turn out good :)

I have experienced the “some things aren’t meant to be healthified” curse at times. I tried to make chocolate chip pretzel bars more healthy and they turned into tasteless bricks. I had to throw them out – they were well-beyond salvage. Oops! Usually I just roll my eyes and laugh it off.

haha fair enough, I get the “some things aren’t meant to be healthified” bit. I’ve tried to revamp a couple of recipes and just CANT get them to work, no matter how many times I attack them.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks!

I love the different take on a smoothie. I find myself making them more often in the summer time to have something cold to drink while sitting outside. My kitchen failures always involve brownies…it is very rare for them to turn out alright!

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life

Leanne, I LOVE your sleepy smoothies! Every one I’ve tried has been delicious :-) When ever I bake something that’s a total failure, I get SUPER bummed. It’s ridiculous. I’m such a cry baby. But, then I try again! Maybe not right then, but eventually. I like a challenge. And when something doesn’t work out, it just gives me inspiration to try and fix it. :-)

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Yum, that smoothie looks amazing. I’ve been having issues getting breakfast in my stomach right away in the morning lately between feeding everyone else and potty training my daughter so I’m going to make one of these tonight. My last kitchen flop tasted really good, but it got stuck in the pan and looked awful. I actually make big batches of sandwich bread for my hubby so there were 4 really ugly loaves of bread, haha. I hate wasting food, so even if something is awful I try to fix it or make it into something else. Very rarely do I ever throw anything out – you know it’s bad if I do. And if it’s not too bad I just eat it, or feed it to the kids even if I don’t really enjoy it. Kind of awful now that I think of it :(

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Love the raspberry smoothie, it looks so refreshing and tasty! :D I still haven’t added oats to my smoothies, it must definitely give it a nice different texture :)

Tori (Fresh Fruition)

The fence looks great! And my biggest recent flop has to be dropping my just-made mini doughnuts right onto the floor! :(

char @ char on a mission

Honestly…to have a kitchen flop, you need to have a functioning oven; this is something I don’t have right now. My only flop is making NOTHING at all…besides uncooked stuff. I mean, it’s good for getting in a lot of natural stuff, but bad for wanting to create some hot dishes! Gah!

Wow, I don`t know what I`d do without an oven… but you`re right, I bet it forces you to eat really, really clean!

Callie {Rawxy}

That’s the beauty of cooking – you feed, they work. Win, Win :) Smoothie looks freaking incredible – the specks from the poppyseeds make for one amazing photoshoot – Loooove!

Sophie33

MMMMMMMMMMM,….What a great & tasty smoothy!! So lovely & apart too! :)

Yummm!!!

The Teenage Taste

Don’t worry, Leanne, smoothies are wayyyy more important than fences! ;-)
In the summertime I drink smoothies all the time! They are so yummy and keep me so full! Thanks for sharing this recipe! :-D

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Jess@HealthyExposures

The yard work looks great! And so does the smoothie. I adore lemon poppyseed and the addition of raspberry sounds perfect ;)
If something turns out less than stellar…I usually try to save it. It’s a lot easier with savory dishes because you can add seasoning and what not, but if it’s desserts I’ll try it with yogurt or smeared with some PB. Fixes almost anything! And if it doesn’t and it’s really, truly awful, I feed it to the garbage. Not something I enjoy doing but more often than not I make small batches anyways. I’m always experimenting; something’s bound to go wrong at some point!

Feed it to the garbage, I like that! I do the same with nut butters. I whip up a batch of maple chia butter every couple of weeks and end up smearing it on baked goods that go horribly wrong. haha

Brittany

Yuuuuu-uhhmmmm!!!! This sounds so refreshing!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel

Leanne you sold me with the strawberries in combination with oats and poppy seeds!!!!! some of my favorite foods in a smoothie form, and its so pretty too :)

xoxo

Kat

Poppyseeds in a smoothie sounds amazing!

Sky

Hi Leanne,

I have been following your site for a few months and it has become my favorite. I always look forward to reading your posts when I come home after a long day. I figured it was about time I post a comment =)

Sorry you haven’t had any luck with your poppy seeds muffins. The smoothie looks great though! Thanks for adding the information about people blending it the night before, I had been wondering about that for a while.

As far as flops in my kitchen, they happen from time to time and I get pretty frustrated. I will usually make the recipe over and over until I get it right. My latest horror story happened a few weeks ago with cake pops. Bakerella made them look so easy but mine would not stay on the sticks and kept falling in the coating. It was a mess. I ended up using the uncoated cake balls as topping for ice cream sundaes. Most sweets are pretty good crumbled up on top of ice cream =P

Hi Sky, thanks for introducing yourself! Good call on the cake pops. We actually keep a bag in the freezer of all of my baking failures specifically to be used for ice cream or oatmeal toppings. You’re not alone!

eva @5FruitsNVeggies

my flops have been consecutive tries of making a vegan meatloaf…..i don’t know why mine are always too runny…

Happy When Not Hungry

This smoothie looks amazing! Love the poppy seeds in there as well. Yum!

Erin

Hi Leanne! I recently found your website and I’m so excited to try your sleepy smoothies! Do you always use fresh fruit or is there a way to use frozen? I use frozen mostly because I don’t have an ice maker and it keeps everything cold.

Hi Erin, I’m so happy you stopped to say hi! You can use frozen too. Just plop the frozen fruit in before you blend in the morning if you like your smoothies cold. You may have to add a bit more liquid so that the frozen fruit can fully blend. Also, I’ve added frozen fruit to the jar and let it defrost in the fridge overnight. Either way, it should work!