Tuna Chard Wraps with Fresh Dill Sauce + Apple Dips

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 19, 2011

Kevin had to work late last night, so the girls and I got to enjoy another ladies night.

I came home to a clean house [couldn't be happier that I busted my buns cleaning the house over the weekend], went for a snow-in-shoe-and-socks walk in the park, and made a Summery dinner to remind myself that warm weather is just around the corner.

I could never, ever eat chard on it’s own, but it’s actually fantastic when used as a wrap [as long as the fillings are good!]

Some of my favorite fillings are: sauteed hummus + roasted veg, homemade burgers + pickles, and leftover mac n’ cheese.

Oh yum.

Tuna Chard Wraps with Fresh Dill Sauce

Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free

These wraps make for a light meal high in protein, vitamin K, and phytonutrients. Using Swiss chard instead of conventional wheat based wraps gives you 2 extra servings of veggies while also helping to balance your blood sugar. Best of all, this dinner is ready in under 10 minutes!

• 2 leaves of Swiss chard
  • 1/2 cup leftover fresh tuna or organic canned tuna *see note
  • 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk – I like to use the cream from the top of the can
  • 2 green onions
  • 1 tbsp fresh dill
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp Herbamare original or Himalayan rock salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste

1. Lay the Swiss chard leaves face down so that the stem is visible. Run a small knife along the stem to remove the bulk of it, but not so much that the full leaf separates. Repeat for second leaf and set aside
  2. Place coconut milk, green onions, dill, lemon juice, and herbamare in a blender and blend until smooth.
  3. Place tuna in a small bowl, combine with 1/2 the sauce, and sprinkle with pepper.
  4. Divide the tuna mix and place on each leaf. Roll the leaf tightly [be gentle!] and cut down the middle.
  5. Place on a plate with extra lemon, remaining sauce + veggie sticks.

Checkout Gena’s tutorial if none of my instructions make sense.

Makes 1 serving.

Note: you’re looking for a mercury free tuna. If you don’t have tuna, salmon would work too!

The tuna + dill sauce combo was fantastic!

… Pebbles thought so to.

Note to self: never leave food unattended in the office, even if it’s just for 10 seconds to get a napkin.

Thankfully I had a dessert in mind – one of our all time favorite Omgiidernigtd Snacks

Apple Cinnamon Dips

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free

The quickest and most popular snack in the Healthful Pursuit household. Get creative by pouring the nut butter over top the apples and coating with crushed flax seeds, nuts, or granola!

• 1 your favorite type of apple, sliced
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp nut butter – we like to use cocoalmond mania butter

1. Sprinkle apple with cinnamon and serve with a side of nut butter, maple syrup, or honey.

Makes 1 serving.

I’m happy to say that Pebbles got none of this action!

What are your favorite sandwich/wrap fillings?

Do you have pets? Have they ever stolen your food?

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)

Pets are such beggers and will stop at nothing to score a bite of human food, I swear :)

Your food always rocks, Leanne! Love it!

SO true. Pebbles is horrible for that. Thanks, Averie :)

Cait @ Beyond Bananas

Those tuna wraps look so yummy! Simple too!

Chad

Oh I’m so glad you posted this – I’m always looking for more ways to use Red Chard!

I am bookmarking this! I get produce every couple weeks , and lately there has been big bundles of chard in it-and I had no idea what to do with it (Gasp! I gave it away….. :( ) Now I can’t wait to get the next bundle!!

Give them away?! Well, now you don’t have to! Let me know how you like them, Alex :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog)

Those wraps look so good! Yum! I’ve never had chard, though. :)

I’ll be honest, it’s nasty on it’s own, it’s very bitter! But it’s so good mixed with tasty ingredients!

Megan

Your wraps looks delicious! I love any sort of lettuce and any sort of filling inside.

Parsley Sage

These apple cinnamon dips have my name all over them. Pebbles is joined by Lunchbox in NFTC (that’s Ninja Food Thief Club for those unfamiliar with the organization.) No croutons are safe when he’s about…

hahaha I love it! Should would fit right into NFTC. She’s SO good at it.

I love that you used the lettuce as the wrap. Mine always include siracha or hummus and whatever array or veggies I have on hand. Apples are really good IN the wrap too – they fit perfectly if sliced as matchsticks. :)

Apples in the wrap, hmm? Sounds delicious! I’ve seen a couple of banana + almond butter chard wraps, but haven’t tried it. I’m definitely going to give the apple + almond butter mix a try! Thanks, Laura :)

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

I was thisclose to buying swiss chard at the grocery store this weekend – but then I thought that it might go to waste! I’m definitely going to buy it next time so I can make some chard wraps! These are a perfect light meal for when we actually get some hot summer weather! :)

They really are, Laura was saying they’re good with apples in them too! Definitely going to try a dessert chard wrap tonight!

Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen

Those cinnamon apples are a great idea! What a deliciously healthy midday snack. I’m gonna bring some of these to work tomorrow :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Oooh, I’m super excited for fresh chard from my garden this year. I grew it last year, let it get massive because I didn’t know what to do with it and then finally chopped it up and steamed it and ate it that way. And then remembered I didn’t really like chard since I ate it all the time as a kid. Somehow I think I’d like this though. Raw vs cooked greens are always better in my books. I don’t have pets, but I have to worry about children stealing my food. I can’t even put it down for a second while I grab my camera, haha. And I have so many food pictures with childrens hands reaching over it’s not even funny anymore :P

haha that’s too funny about your children stealing you food!

kate@ahealthypassion

chard wraps are seriously the most amazing thing ever im addicted!

Lele

One time my cat inadvertently tried a sip of coffee. Hilaaaaaaaaaaarious. She made a face like “You drink this?!”

I have fresh dill in my fridge and am eyeing that sauce!

haha I wish I could say that about our dogs, they will eat anything. Especially the big one, Lexy. Too funny though, I’ve never tried to give them coffee!

Jess@HealthyExposures

haha, I actually love chard! Maybe I just got a lucky bunch that was good, though? I’ll have to try it in a wrap next time.
And apples + cinnamon + nut butter? YES – love that snack/dessert! Preferably with a good almond butter :]

Michelle Wood

I LOVE wraps and I also love putting tuna in them. Lately, though, my favorite wrap has been a hummus veggie wrap with vinegar.
I have two cats and have too often left a muffin or two on the table that they chewed the top off of. Little rascals.

(what runs) Lori

Beautiful and delicious!

I don’t have pets now but I do remember a certain little dog jumping on the chair to jump onto the table to steal some food off the plates… lol

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition

I’ve never tried cooking with chard but I feel like I would really like it because I love it’s siblings spinach and kale. These look super easy and delicious too! Thanks for the great idea!

Kate@Diethood

Your wraps look amazing! And then there’s those apples…. beautiful!!

Clarkie @ Beloved Green

I love these, this would definitely be one of those meals for a night I have the girls over.