Overnight Banana Berry Pudding

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 5, 2011

I loved the banana almond version so much that I tried a coconut berry version.

It’s simple.

It’s quick.

It’s delicious.

Mmmm banana, I <3 you.

Overnight Banana Berry Pudding

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free

5 ingredient breakfasts are the best way to go. This quick and easy breakfast can be made the night before for a simple start to your hectic day. Serve cold, or warm up in the microwave.

• 1/2 banana, sliced and mashed
  • 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • Mixed berries, fresh or frozen – I used a handful

To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance.

1. Combine all ingredients in a glass container, stir until incorporated, seal, and  place in the fridge overnight.
  2. Enjoy right from the fridge, or heat in the microwave for 45 seconds.

Makes 1 serving

Yummy toppings could include: almonds, raisins, coconut, or granola.

Check out Laura’s take on banana pudding, cashew-vanilla style. It’s so versatile!

A to Z, now you know me!

I had a peaceful and relaxing Friday night and these things are just so fun that I couldn’t resist.

A. Age: 24

B. Bed size: Queen. I saved paychecks and my allowance as a teenager to buy myself a queen bed when I was 15. Best purchase ever. We’ve since got a new mattress, but queen size is where it’s at.

C. Chore you dislike: Emptying the dishwasher. I have no idea why, it’s so simple, I just really hate it.

D. Dogs: Lexy (German Sheppard Border Collie X) and Pebbles (the smallest Pomeranian you’ve ever seen). They get along so well – they love to play fight and steal each others toys. It’s great to have them around to keep me company when Kevin is away and they’re great to cuddle with!

E. Essential start to your day: Smoothie – 1 cup almond milk, ½ cup berries, 1 scoop hemp protein

F. Favorite color: easy choice… PURPLE! (then green)

G. Gold or silver: Silver all the way.

H. Height: 5 ’10

I. Instruments you play(ed): I started with the recorder in grade 3, then the clarinet in grade 6, flute for about a week (not a fan), trumpet for a couple months, landed on the saxophone in grade 9 and played it and the clarinet for 4 years.

J. Job title: Business owner, Nutritionist, Senior Marketing Manager, Recipe Creator, Professional Snacker (hehe).

K. Kids: Lexy and Pebs keep us busy enough!

L. Live: In a small town outside of a large city. We hear the coyotes at night and the cows in the morning.

M. Mom’s name: Mary Claire

N. Nicknames: Vogel, Bunny (my Dad has never called me by “Leanne” for as long as I can remember), Sleepy muffin (Kevin started calling me this after I made us this for breakfast one morning)

O. Overnight hospital stays: Being anaphylactic to peanuts puts you in the hospital a lot as a kid. Also, I broke my wrist last year on a snowboarding trip and had to spend the night. Fun times!

P. Pet peeves: Having to wait for people, lineups, and traffic jams.  Can you tell I’m impatient?

Q. Quote from a movie: I have a very, very bad memory and an attention span of a goldfish. Great thing is, I can watch a movie 2 or 3 times before I realize I’ve seen it before!

R. Righty or lefty: Righty.

S. Siblings: Christina, my little sister (younger than me by 3 years)

T. Time you wake up: 5am on weekdays and 5:30am on weekends

U. Underwear: Underthere!

V. Vegetables you don’t like: Parsnips. YUCK!

W. What makes you run late: Food. I don’t know why, but anytime we have to leave to go somewhere I decide to spend my time in the kitchen  instead of getting ready. The best ideas come to me when I’m in a hustle!

X. X-rays you’ve had: I’m quite the klutz… knee, ankles, wrist (about 12 times throughout my broken wrist recovery), abdomen, nose, elbow…

Y. Yummy food you make: Definitely not the salad I ate for lunch yesterday. Blah! My favorite is this.

Z. Zoo animal favorites: The Calgary Zoo has had some pretty bad cases of animals dying under their care, so we don’t like to go… but my favorite wild animal is the polar bear!

What banana pudding flavors would you create?

kate@ahealthypassion

This pudding looks incredible, love your a-z I definitely agree with you on the kitchen thing I am always the last one ready because I was doing something in the kitchen or with my food rather than getting ready! Enjoy your Saturday.

I totally forgot about the recorder. Can you imagine being that music teacher? The headache! LOL!

Next batch of banana pudding I’m thinking chocolate almond butter…

Stephanie

That banana pudding looks fantastic! I’ve never thought of mixing mashed banana with chia…huh, it’s so obvious now that I’ve seen it. I think a great pudding would be: banana, chia seeds, almond milk, cacao powder.

Jess@HealthyExposures

Oh yum – this pudding looks delicious, too. I think I’m a new fan of your blog, thanks to seeing you on the Link Love from Angela’s site ;)

Bridget

Hi! I came across your blog a few days ago and I really love your recipes.That breakfast looks so delicious! I can’t really get chia seeds in the UK though – any ideas on what I could use instead?

Thank you Bridget, I’m glad you like the foods I’ve been creating! You could use flax seed instead of chia. If that’s hard to find too, you could try hemp seed. The seeds work to bulk up the pudding a bit and also contribute to your daily healthy fats intake. If none of these seeds are available to you, you could try mixing in some coconut flour or almond flour, just to give it the extra thickness. Good luck! I’d love to know what seed/nut you end up using.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

Two things that caught my eye: 1) You’re only 24!?!? You seem much older – in a good way of course. 2) I wouldn’t have thought you are as tall as you are!

Hey Chelsey! Ya, I get that a lot – I look/act much older than I am. I (sometimes) use my age as an excuse for not understanding things, or not wanting to clean our house. It comes in handy haha. And yes, I am monstrously tall. I used to hate it as a kid, but now I LOVE it. I save so much money on not having to get heels! Hope you’re having a good Saturday :)

RavieNomNoms

That look so good! I love the color and I love the banana AND the almonds! Yummilicious!

sonia

Great banana pudding. its looking so healthy and nutritious. will surely make it for my little one !

Ryan @ Aloha Appetite

I haven’t tried overnight pudding. Looks yum. I’ll have to try!

Charissa

This looks fantastic! I need to make something like this soon! Thanks for visiting my site, I just love meeting other bloggers. ;)

A little bit of everything

i hate emptying the dishwasher too :)) Loved your A to Z and the pudding sounds delicious. thanks for sharing

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

Ah, a professional snacker! I share that profession! :)

I have a horrible memory too–especially for movie quotes! haha I totally had to look mine up!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat

I have to use up some coconut milk so I’d like to make this pudding. Is there anything I can substitute the chia seeds for? I would definately make this chocolate flavoured
Wow you’re tall
It is too bad about all the cases they have been having at the zoo. I remember when they used to have polar bears!

Flax seed would work well if you have some, anything else wont gel up like chia or flax but will still be tasty like hemp seed, ground almonds, peanuts, or cashews.
I loved the polar bears! Too bad :(

Kat @ Cupcake Kat

Thanks, they would have to be whole flax seeds right?

The best way to add flax to this recipe is to measure it out and put it in a ziploc bag. Seal the bag and lay it out on your cutting board. Then, take the bottom of a pan and hit the bag a couple of times. This will remove the shell from the germ of the seed [for a couple of seeds anyways]. Then use it that way. If you just add in the whole flax seed your body wont be able to process any of the good parts of the seed!

Jeanette

Love chia seed pudding! I made something similar recently with some almond milk, coconut milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Love the addition of fresh fruits to your pudding!

Oh yum, that sounds delicious! I’ll have to try that variation. Thanks, Jeanette!

Sandra

First your pudding looks divine! Love your photos too..
Second I love knowing bit more about you, I could agree on more than few answers!:)

Kate @ Diethood.com

I love the flavors in this pudding! And yours looks fabulous… beautiful photos!

Happy When Not Hungry

This looks so delicious and healthy! Love how easy this recipe is. Such a great snack!

Joy

I can’t wait to try this for my daughter.

Sophie

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,..;What more can I say?

I loved the answers & the questionaire a lot! It is great to know more about you!

nnd

Hi,
What do you think about chia seeds? I have a very poor digestion and sluggish system. Currently battling some issues of bacterial overgrowth and extreme gas build-up in my digestive tract. Thoughts on chia seeds? I’m not sure if they would be too seedy or gritty?
Do you like your smoothies thick or watery?

Chia seeds are fantastic for your digestion, so long as you soak them before eating them. Try soaking 1 tbsp in 1 cup of milk and adding it to your cereal or smoothie in the morning. They’re better left in whole form and eaten that way. They don’t act like other nuts and seeds that can do harm to your digestion. Chia seeds have been the #1 tool I’ve used to get my digestion on track. I suggest it to all of my frustrated digestion clients!