Sleepy Banana Muffin Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on February 5, 2011

I’ve been making smoothies everyday for breakfast for the last 3.5 years. I even brought my VitaMix with me to Portugal on a business trip, just so I wouldn’t miss out on my breakfast tradition.

Commitment? Or fear that I wouldn’t know how to ask for a smoothie in Portuguese? We’ll never know.

My smoothie drinking began right around the time I decided to heal my digestion, once and for all.

You see, smoothies:

• Are easily digested. Simply put: when you eat solid food, your digestive system has to work hard to convert it to a smoothie-like consistency. [This broken down food mass is called chyme.] Eating foods that are broken down and in a chyme-like state, eliminates the need for our body to work hard at breaking down the food, making nutrients easier to assimilate.
  • Are a fantastic delivery system. You can hide the craziest things in smoothies! Like aloe vera juice, spirulina and other greens powders, extra enzymes, probiotics, bitters, or herbs, you name it!
  • Wake up the digestive system  at a slow and steady pace. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like being woken up by someone jolting the bed and scaring me. So, why would we do this to our digestion? Just like we enjoy waking up slowly, stretching, debating whether we should get up or not, our digestion likes it too. Drinking smoothies before a solid breakfast makes sure our tummy gets a nice and relaxing wake up.

I remember one of the first smoothies I ever created was 1 full carrot, 1 cup aloe juice, 1 apple, 1 tbsp ground flax and 2 leaves of kale.

It was something to be desired, and I sure as heck didn’t desire it. ick! But it did wonders on healing my digestive tract and I got used to it overtime.

No time in the mornings

I am not kidding you when I say that everyone, absolutely every client, friend, and family member I’ve chatted with about breakfast asks if I I can give them breakfast ideas that:

• Can replace a meal
  • Ready in under 1 minute
  • Packs a strong nutritious punch
  • Is inexpensive

I’d give them suggestions, but it was never good enough. There was something missing.

Enter the Sleepy Smoothie!

It meets every requirement.

All measuring and preparation is done the night before you enjoy this delectable breakfast.

Wake up, throw in the blender and enjoy:

• 6g fiber
  • 9g fat [the good fat - omega 3's and 6's]
  • 6g protein
  • 40% of your daily intake of calcium
  • 18% of your daily intake of iron & vitamin C

Sleepy Banana Muffin Smoothie

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free

• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1/4 cup for blending
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 2 tbsp uncontaminated regular oats – alternatively you can use packaged gluten free oatmeal, gluten free granola, or quinoa flakes
  • 1 tbsp raisins
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp raw walnuts
  • pinch of ground cinnamon
  • Optional toppings: coconut, raisins, walnuts, or chocolate chips

1. Night before: combine all ingredients [but the frozen banana and 1/4 cup almond milk] in a glass or plastic container. Stir to combine and place in fridge.
  2. Morning: pour contents of container into blender, add banana and additional almond milk, blend until smooth.

Makes 2 cups

The chocolate chips seriously make it for me… mmmm

How much time do you have in the mornings to prepare breakfast? What is your breakfast of choice?

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

I have about 5 minutes to prepare breakfast–and that’s being generous! I mean I suppose I could wake up a little earlier–but I’d rather sleep in until the last minute. ;)

I love the idea of getting smoothie ingredients prepped the night before and just throwing them in the Vita in the morning!

I usually have overnight oats/chia pudding or a banana/almond butter sandwich. I take more time to prepare breakfasts on the weekends–which is just another reason why I love the weekend so much! :)

Elise

Leanne, it sounds delicious, but isn’t it a bit low on protein for somebody who trains at the gym 5 days a week? I usually have oatmeal, 1 egg and 3 egg whites for breakfast.

Leanne

Coming in at almost 10g of protein, I don’t feel it’s too low, especially if it’s a pre-workout snack. I talk more about my approach to eating before and after workouts here

I usually start my day off with a smoothie, go to the gym, then have 2nd breakfast that contains another 10g. I eat protein at every snack/meal. Snacks usually have 10g or protein, and meals anywhere from 15-20g. By the end of the day I usually come in at 60-80g of protein, depending on whether or not it’s a workout day. Now, this is just for me, everyone is different. There are some days that I find I need more protein than others. It’s all about listening to your body and doing what’s right for you as an individual.

If the oatmeal, egg + egg whites work great for you, go for it! That’s something I’d have after a workout but would totally die of exhaustion if I had it before a workout.

Gwen

Wow! That really sounds wonderful! I thought the aloe juice one sounded good too. ;) smoothies are so wonderful, thx for the new idea!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat

Are you kidding me??? Of course, add gluten-free oats to a smoothie! Why haven’t I thought of that? To a breakfast smoothie QUEEN, this is a DUH revelation. Thank you! Can’t wait to try it!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies)

now this! is what im talking bout.. this sounds and looks FANTASTIC!

Tiffany

I love it! I don’t do raisins, do you think dried cranberries or blueberries would be ok?

Leanne

I think cranberries might be a bit bitter, but you could try the blueberries. That or dates, prunes, or apricots would work well.

Sabrina

OMG this looks beautiful!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I make a smoothie everyday as well for breakfast but sometimes I just want something different! Thanks!

torviewtoronto

healthy delicious smoothie

Kankana

This looks so easy and tasty .. 1 minute BF .. wow !!

Sprinkled with Flour

This is my kind of smoothie! I will have to try this one, it sounds so yummy:)

Tammy

I just picked up almond milk..I’ll have to try this. I love smoothies but I don’t always have time to make them as often as I like. I’m going to try though…this post has inspired me!
It looks delicious and sounds very healthy!

Irena

I just made banana bread and saw your post…great smoothie idea, thanks for sharing:)

cheryl & adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com

This looks wonderful, and those are great tips on digestion. Thanks!

Happy When Not Hungry

Wow this looks so tasty and delicious! What a great recipe! Def have to try!

Heather (Where's the Beach)

Yum

Hillary

What do you think about substituting unsweetened coconut milk for the almond milk. I just stumbled upon your website today and I am very excited about trying your recipes.

Angela (Oh She Glows)

This is the best idea in the world!!!!

thanks Angela! I know how much you like bananas so you may also like this one [it's my favorite of the sleepy smoothies] http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/02/sleepy-banana-muffin-smoothie/

omg haha long day I suppose [I was in the kitchen for a total of 8 hours!] fail on sharing the banana muffin smoothie with you when it’s the one you commented on! I JUST posted a blueberry muffin smoothie so got a bit confused. I think I need nap pronto! Have a great night Angela :)

Imwaytoobusy

Now, you know how to top a smoothie! Sounds wonderful.

PoweredbyPeanutButter

Smoothie looks delicious!

Sam (the neurotic yogini)

I have everything minus the raisins at home… 15 minutes til this smoothie will be in my belly! :)

Nice! Let me know how you like it, Sam!

Raquel

BEST SMOOTHIE I’VE EVER HAD!!! Thank you so much, I think this is my new daily breakfast :D

haha that’s great Raquel! I’m glad you liked it :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins

Hi Leanne! I just came across your blog and am loving it. I’ve had the same experience with finding a breakfast recommendation for clients, friends and family that really resonates, and have also found make-ahead smoothies to be wildly successful. I love that you topped yours with raisins and choco chips – I wouldn’t have thought of raisins but now that I see it, I could imagine it be extremely tasty atop a cold, creamy smoothie. Like raisinettes on ice cream, but healthier :)

Exactly, raisinettes! I never thought about that! Thanks for your kind words, Meghan :)

sophie

Hey hey!

Where are you gettng the 9 grams of protein in this recipe?
There’s not much in almond milk or the fruit…and there is only one tablespoon of nuts?

Thanks!

Hi Sophie! This is a pretty old recipe. At the time I was using a not so reliable calorie counter. I’ve since switched to about.com and find it a lot more accurate. Thanks for finding this one. I’ll be sure to edit it with better info. Feel free to check back in a couple of minutes :)

Danielle

I’m having one right now and it’s…awesome! I can’t drink almond milk alone (maybe it takes me a while to get used to it), but I love it with oatmeal! Thanks!

Sam

I didn’t find this recipe until the morning I wanted to make it so unfortunately it did not get to rest over night, however, I still cannot believe how amazing this smoothie tasted! I almost died it was so good (so drinkers beware ;) ) I just used vanilla coconut milk because I was out of almond. It legitimately tastes like liquid banana bread! YUM! Thank you, this recipe is GOLDEN!

I’m glad you enjoyed it, Sam!

Nicole

I was told cold smoothies are bad for your digestion because it puts out the digestive fire. Any thoughts on that?

Karie Fraley

Omg I was so excited to share this with my readers thank you for the inspiration! http://crazypantscookin.com/2014/02/banana-bread-breakfast-smoothie/