Overnight Banana Almond Pudding

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on February 27, 2011

Thank you for sharing your personal experiences and support on yesterdays post.

It’s comforting to know that there are other people out there that go through the same life challenges. When I’m having a low moment I like to think that someone, somewhere is dealing with the same feelings. I guess it’s my way of staying connected.

My first [official] week of marathon training is complete and…

• I scream in agony every time I try to sit down [darn those lunges!]
  • I passed out while laying on my heating pad last night to calm my muscles. Somehow my retainer didn’t get into my mouth before I drifted off, and now I have a mangled and melted retainer.
  • I’ve learned that although our neighbors garage door is the same style and color as ours, our remote control will not open it. I did however get a good scare when I sat in front of what I thought was my garage and the darn thing wouldn’t open.
  • I cried when we ran out of ketchup. An omelet just isn’t an omelet without ketchup, okay?!

What an exciting adventure I’m having!

Today is my first rest day in what feels like forever. I <3 Sundays. The plan for today:

• Have breakfast [the one below, of course!]
  • Nap
  • Plan next weeks recipes – I feel a smoothie in our near future
  • Make this and this for my lunches this week
  • Laundry :(
  • Oh, and can’t forget… I’m making apple fiber bars!

Okay, time to get to it!

Overnight Banana Almond Pudding

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free

This pudding is a great on-the-go breakfast [or snack], is good cold or, if it’s a chilly morning, you can warm up in the microwave for 45 seconds. It’s gooey, it’s a bit sticky, and it’s healthy!!

• 1 tbsp raw almond butter
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1/4 cup almond milk – I use unsweetened original
  • 2 tbsp shelled flax seed

Suggested toppings: granola, coconut, raisins, almonds, dried apples, maple syrup, extra flax seed

To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance

1. If your flax seed is not shelled, no worries! Place flax seed in a ziploc bag and place on your cutting board. Take a medium sized saucepan and hit the bag with the flat side of the pot. The shells should separate from the inner germ. Place the entire contents of the bag in a glass container.
  2. Combine remaining ingredients and stir until incorporated.
  3. Seal container and keep in the fridge overnight.
  4. Enjoy right from the fridge, or heat in the microwave for 45 seconds.

Makes 1 serving

Nutrition stats: calories 419; fat 30g; saturated fat 14.2g; dietary fiber 9g; sugars 16g; protein 8g

What’s the silliest thing you’ve done or said when you’re tired?

megan @ blackberries for jam

This looks so incredibly tasty and simple! I am desperately in need of new snack ideas and the combination of almond butter and bananas is one of my favorites. I’ll definitely be making this. Lovely photos, by the way!

YUM! I do this sometimes….only I don’t let it sit….and I add unsweetened chocolate ;) ;)

Gina

Sounds delicious! Do you think I could replace the flax with chia seeds?

For sure you can. Since chia bulks up so much I would only use 1 tbsp chia.

I know what I’ll be having for breakfast! This sounds great – there’s nothing better than bananas and nut butter. :)

Eizel

Is this the same recipe you were having a hard time with rice flour? This turned out good so maybe almond flour is the best thing :)

Nope, no flour in this one! It was the apple fiber bars I’ve been working on… but I think I’ve finally nailed the recipe. Woot! I’ll share it with you later on this week. They’re delicious. Hope you’re having a good weekend :)

torviewtoronto

looks healthy and delicious lovely picture

Alex @ Healing Beauty

Ooh this looks so delicious and easy! Remember you are never alone in your struggles when you have a low moment. :)

Sara @CaffeIna

Oh I want this for tomorrow’s breakfast! Enjoy your Sunday of (so deserved) relax!

Kate @ Diethood.com

Oh this would be a great breakfast…Topped with some of those goodies and I’ll be ready to go.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

What’s the difference between shelled flax and regular flax? That looks delicious!

Shelled flax is where the inner germ has been removed from the brown outer shell, but both pieces are in the product. Regular flax is the full flax seed, not tampered with. The reason I like shelled flax more is that it can be easier digested and more of the nutrients can be absorbed from the product. If you cook or use whole flax seed the seed stays in tact all the way through your digestive tract, so all it really does is add bulk, but not many nutrients are absorbed.

Here’s a picture of shelled flax: http://www.healthsdelight.com/Shelled%20Flax%20Scoop.jpg

You can shell it on your own by placing regular flax seed in a ziploc bag and place on your cutting board. Take a medium sized saucepan and hit the bag with the flat side of the pot. The shells should separate from the inner germ. And there you have it! Shelled flax!

JoyceLYH

All the best for your marathon training! I’m thinking of running one myself end of this year in my country’s yearly marathon. I missed last year’s coz I was too busy to train, and was falling sick, and was preparing for marriage, and, all sorts of excuses!!

Anyhow, take an epsom salt bath to relieve the aches. My quads would have died from yesterday’s walking lunges if not for the fifteen-minute epsom salt hot tub immersion I took yesterday night.

PS I love almond! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Sounds like you had one busy year! I’m learning that you definitely need a lot of time to train for a marathon.

Thanks for the advice, I will do that on Tuesday when I have my next strength training day. I don’t want a repeat of last week. Ouchhh!

Jeanette

Yum, this sounds delicious and healthy, a great pick me up, snack or dessert!

sasha

Looks great. I have done this with chia. I love the idea.

For those that are textured challenged like myself( I can’t eat a porridge texture, just because I HAD to eat it a lot as a child) do you have any other versions? I love the idea of putting everything in the fridge and having it there in the morning, but for me it needs to be firmer. Just thought maybe you would have an idea?

I saw your comment last night, so this morning I added about a cup of granola to the mix + 1/4 cup milk and it got rid of the gooey texture. Also, you could try adding a couple [2-3] tbsp of flour and throwing it in the microwave for 1min 30sec – 1min 45sec. It should harden up slightly and make it more tolerable. Something similar to this: http://edibleperspective.com/2011/01/buckwheat-in-a-bowl/

Good luck!

Melissa@EyesBigger

This sounds delicious. I like the idea of just pulling breakfast out of the fridge ready to go.
Good luck with the training! I just started 10km training two weeks ago after taking a year off from running but the weather is being so uncooperative. Hate running on a treadmill.

Thanks, Melissa. The weather sure plays a big part in training hey? We have an indoor track at our gym [thank goodness because our Canadian winters are absolutely killer!] so I’m able to continue my running inside. I’m totally with you, I hate treadmills. I always find that I bounce all over the place. Good luck with your training!

Medeja

I totally love this recipe :) Im saving it and hope to try it soon :)

Lauren

Recipe sounds great. I love any sort of pudding. What race are you training for? A summer race it would seem?

I’m training for an August run in Edmonton Alberta, a few hours drive from where I live. So pumped!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg

*Beautiful* photography!!!!! And this looks delicious, too!

Becky

A simple, healthy breakfast, perfect for marathon training. Keep your eye on the prize! what marathon are you running?

It is totally perfect for marathon training. I added a bit of milk and granola to it this morning and threw it in the microwave. It was absolutely delicious! I think I’ll train harder when I know there is a breakfast this fantastic waiting for me on the other end. I’ll be running the Edmonton [Alberta] marathon in August.

sasha

Thanks for that Leanne. I will give it a try.!!

kate@ahealthypassion

This looks delicious cant wait to try it! I love having something to make getting out of bed in the morning worth it!

Sophie

What a grand & fab breakfast!! So easy yet so tasty!!

Ann

Do you think ground flax seeds are okay to use?

If you grind your own be sure not to ground them fully, just for a moment to break the shells or your pudding could be very, very goopy! If all you have is pre-ground, try using just 1 tbsp of ground flax instead of 2. Good luck Ann!

Michelle Wood

This looks AMAZING! I know what I’ll be having for breakfast tomorrow!

Chad Wood

My wife made this and it made my morning very very special… these are amazing.

Thanks Chad, I’m glad you liked it!

Anjanette

Yum! Made this for hubby’s day off so we could sleep in and still have bfast ready. Sleeping in didn’t happen (who am I kidding? We have 2 toddlers!), but bfast was easy! I saw the add flour/heat suggestion for firming it up and we might have to try this again with a little coconut flour. Also envisioning all kinds of new flavors… :)

Freebies

we are absolutely loving this pudding!! it is so versatile and better nutrition for breakfast than boxed cereal.

I have yet to use almond butter, but I have used peanut and homemade sunflower seed butter (yummy and super cheap). And I am using chia seeds instead of flax- I’m sure I will try the flax, I’m just totally into chia right now.

So far I have done:
Peanut, Banana, Chia
Peanut, Banana, Chia topped with granola (from your recipe)
Sunflower, Banana, Chia and Coconut
Peanut, Banana, Chia and mixed in a bit of leftover steel cut oatmeal
Sunflower, Banana, Chia and mixed in some leftover Rice/Quinoa “pilaf” and raisins.

There are all great and my 5 and 6 year love them!!

jenetta

Monique (@AmbitiousKitch)

So simple yet amazing. I’m craving banana cream pudding now.

Kelley

how long does this keep for? would it still be good if I made enough to have it for the whole work(/school) week?

It should be okay in the fridge for a week. The banana may go bad. I usually make enough for 3 days as that seems to be the best. Time. Alternatively, you could make the 5 batches and freeze a couple. They still work great when frozen + defrosted.

Kelley

wonderful! thank you so much!