February has been a challenge for me, I was losing muscle, motivation, and forgetting why I began running in the first place. My passion was slowly exiting.
A couple days ago I decided I needed to switch things up, I needed to ask for help. [Something I dislike doing, but need to realize that it's okay to get a hand with things and let people in]
I sent a message to Angie, a triathlon coach I’d been chatting with back in August and before I knew it I had a new training plan.
First thing I told myself: it’s okay to be nervous and a bit overwhelmed.
Change has always been hard for me, but I just need to believe in myself and keep my end goal in sight.
Second thing I told myself: holy moly, I’m actually going to do this!
Then I had a granola cake. Good nutrients give courage, no?
No Bake Granola Cakes
Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free
All the granola taste and texture in a convenient cake! These no bake cakes are perfect for after the gym with a plate of carrot sticks, or can double as a unique dessert for a dinner party.
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
23 tbsp brown rice syrup, maple syrup, or honey – if honey is used, the recipe is no longer vegan*
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + extra for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
*Note: this recipe can be made sweetener free by removing the brown rice syrup completely and replacing it with extra almond butter. I made a batch with no sweetener and it tasted fantastic!
- Combine almond butter, rice syrup, vanilla, and coconut oil in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium low and simmer for 5 minutes, or until drippy/liquidy stirring every minute or so. Be sure it doesn’t burn!
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour heated almond butter mixture into nuts and seeds bowl, and stir until all pieces are coated.
- Spoon mixture into large muffin liners or muffin tin [the mixture will be very clumpy and you will doubt that it will all hold together, but don't worry... it will!], pressing down firmly on each one and flattening with hands.
- Sprinkle with coconut and place in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
Nutrition stats [1 granola cake]: calories 189; fat 15g [all good fats!]; saturated fat 5g; carbohydrates 13g; dietary fiber 2g; sugars 5g; protein 4g
Makes 12 cakes.
Are you more in the mood for a cookie? No problem! Add:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
To the mixture above.
- Form into cookies, sprinkle with coconut and bake at 350F for 15-18 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Makes 12 cookies.
When was the last time you were overwhelmed with something?