- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar + 1-2 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon herbamare
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 6 slices beef bacon – see note
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms – see note
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
To prepare the salad dressing:
- Combine all ingredients but extra vinegar in a small saucepan. Heat on medium heat until it is brought to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in additional apple cider vinegar for some extra kick!
- Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to chill.
Meanwhile, prepare the salad:
- Hard boil the eggs using this handy-dandy guide on the perfect hard boiled egg.
- Cook the bacon as per package instructions – about 2 minutes per side on medium heat. Remove from pan, place on a paper towel lined plate and pat the excess fat off. Cut into pieces and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Drizzle with enough dressing to coat; toss gently and serve immediately.
- Leftover dressing can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. If you have leftovers of the salad with the dressing on, the spinach will become wilted overnight, but it’s still tasty! I like adding the wilted salad to a lunch wrap with chicken or chickpeas!
- Alternatively, portion out vegetable ingredients without dressing if you plan on storing the leftovers for future meals.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
I purchase beef bacon at our local butcher but haven’t found it in any grocery stores yet. Pork or turkey bacon would also work. Watch the ingredients in turkey bacon. I find that many brands use a lot of fillers and artificial ingredients.
I used cremini mushrooms because I find them to be meatier than white mushrooms.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 298
- Calories from Fat: 164
- Total Fat: 18.2
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 131> mg
- Sodium: 676 mg
- Carbs: 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
- Net Carbs: 12.6 g
- Sugars: 9.6 g
- Protein: 11.6 g