- 1½ cup water
- ¾ cup raw quinoa
- ½ cup cooked sweet potato
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Add quinoa and water to a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Once complete, remove from the stove, keep lid on and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Remove lid, transfer to a bowl and cool completely (so that it doesn’t melt the chocolate chips).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl. Then, measure 1½ cups of the cooked quinoa and add to the dry ingredients. Stir to coat, until all quinoa granules are covered in the mixture. Set aside.
- Add all wet ingredients to a small bowl and stir well, ensuring that the sweet potato is fully mashed.
- Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and stir to combine.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- One tablespoon at a time, scoop mixture onto prepared baking sheet, leaving a small space between each cookie. They will not spread out, so you can keep the cookies close. Lightly form each cookie, as you’d like them to come out. I flattened them slightly between my palms.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through and golden.
- Remove from the oven, let cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and allowing them to cool for a couple of hours. Because cooked quinoa was used in this recipe, the longer you leave it to cool, the firmer it will become. Leave it be and it will transform!
Spread the love, earn karma points:
To make grain-free: replace gluten-free mix with almond flour
Oil: you can use any type of oil you’d like in this recipe
To prepare the sweet potato: I added a whole (small) sweet potato to a 375F oven and roasted for 40 minutes. Removed from the oven and allowed to cool completely. Then I removed the skin and mashed.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 66
- Calories from Fat: 18
- Total Fat: 2
- Sodium: 17 mg
- Carbs: 10.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1 g
- Net Carbs: 9.3 g
- Sugars: 3.1 g
- Protein: 1 g