- 2 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil – see note
- 2 tablespoon cashews, roughly chopped or halved
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, diced and divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lite coconut milk or other non-dairy milk of choice
- 5 cardamom pods
- 3 tablespoon demerara, coconut sugar or date sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pineapple extract, optional
- 1/2 cup rice vermicelli noodles, broken into 1/2 –inch pieces
- In a medium sized saucepan combine ghee, cashews, raisins and half the pineapple. Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring constantly until cashews are browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except noodles and remaining pineapple. Bring mixture back to a boil then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
- At the 5 minute mark, stir in vermicelli noodles and allow to cook. The mixture should begin to thicken in the last 2 minutes. If it’s too thick for your liking, add a bit more water until your desired consistency is reached.
- Place remaining diced pineapple at the bottom of a serving bowl and drop payasam mixture over top. Serve with diced fruits or seeds sprinkled over top. Alternatively, separate the pasayam into 4 small dishes, one for each serving.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
To make vegan, sub the ghee for extra virgin coconut oil. It will change the flavor of the dish, but still taste great!
Ghee is made from dairy, but all lactose and casein is removed in the clarification process. Use your own personal judgement when opting for a dairy-free diet. If you’ve chosen to omit, use vegan suggestion above.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 273
- Calories from Fat: 93
- Total Fat: 10.4
- Saturated Fat: 5.2 g
- Cholesterol: 16> mg
- Sodium: 526 mg
- Carbs: 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.1 g
- Net Carbs: 41.2 g
- Sugars: 15.1 g
- Protein: 3.4 g