- ¾ cup blanched ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- Preheat your waffle iron. I used heat setting #4 on my Breville No-Mess Waffle Iron.
- Meanwhile, add ground almonds, hemp seeds, baking soda, baking powder and salt to a medium-sized bowl. Stir to incorporate and set aside.
- Add egg, coconut milk and coconut oil to the bowl of your blender or an immersion blender cup. Whisk until frothy.
- Pour egg mixture into almond mixture and stir with a spoon, just until incorporated. The mixture will be thick. See below for a picture.
- Once your waffle iron is ready, drop the paleo waffle batter onto your waffle iron and close the top. Grill until crisp, a couple of minutes.
- Remove from waffle iron, top with your favorites and enjoy. This is a savory waffle so can be dressed like a sandwich. My favorite, is homemade bacon mayo with fresh herbs, a couple of slices of prosciutto and a side of fresh veggies.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Ground Almonds: no need to go with finely ground almond flour for this recipe. The more rough, the better for the cornbread texture
Egg-free: you could try making this recipe with a flax egg (1 tablespoon finely ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of warm water).
Coconut-free: you could try replacing the coconut milk with a dairy-free milk of your choice. And try avocado oil instead of coconut oil, or another heat-stable oil that you like.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 738
- Calories from Fat: 598
- Total Fat: 66.5
- Saturated Fat: 21.7 g
- Cholesterol: 164> mg
- Sodium: 1115 mg
- Carbs: 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 9.4 g
- Net Carbs: 9.2 g
- Sugars: 3.8 g
- Protein: 26.1 g