- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana or ¾ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 2 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract or flesh from 1 vanilla bean
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup unflavored protein powder
- ¼ cup ground or milled flax seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon gluten-free baking soda (double if using this product)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- pinch ground cloves
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoon coconut butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375F and line an baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl with a hand or stand mixer.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl. Once incorporated, add to the wet mix and mix until smooth.
- Add shredded carrots and raisins. Allow to sit for 1-2 minutes to thicken up.
- Scoop approximately ? cup at a time into your hand. Shape into a bar and place on prepared baking sheet. You can also shape the bars on the baking sheet, I found that was easiest.
- Bake bars for 22-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean, the bottoms of the bars or golden, and the tops are cracking slightly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack
- Once cooled completely, top with a drizzle of coconut butter.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Banana vs. apple: both yield a similar bar, but banana makes the bar sweeter, naturally.
Protein powder: Any type of protein should do the trick. If you use hemp protein, you may have to reduce the amount as hemp protein is quite dry. To keep grain-free and paleo, choose a protein powder that’s not made from rice. If you don’t want to use protein powder, you could try almond flour instead.
Storing instructions: The bars will keep in the fridge for about 5 days. They also freeze well. Wait until the bars are completely cooled and coated with coconut butter. Place them in an air-tight container and stick in the freezer. No wrapping of individual bars needed. When you want to eat, just take out of the freezer and allow to thaw for 30 minutes or so.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 242
- Calories from Fat: 73
- Total Fat: 8.1
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 82> mg
- Sodium: 189 mg
- Carbs: 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 6.6 g
- Net Carbs: 21.8 g
- Sugars: 14 g
- Protein: 13.3 g