- 11 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 3 tablespoons lucuma powder
- 1 teaspoon Ener-G gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Ener-G gluten-free baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 7 tablespoons coconut nectar
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons egg whites
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pure lemon extract
- Zest from ½ large lemon
- ¼ cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 6 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to a medium-sized bowl. Combine with a whisk.
- In the same bowl, add wet ingredients: coconut nectar, milk, egg whites, oil, extracts and zest.
- Mix thoroughly, then add boiling water. Stir completely.
- Let sit for 1 minute, then pour into prepared paper liners.
- Bake in preheated oven for 23-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. I found that the toothpick held a bit of gumminess due to using chickpea flour but left to cool, they firmed up perfectly to the consistency of a real, gluten-packed cupcake.
- Remove from the oven, and immediately take out of muffin tin. Place on a cooling rack to cool completely, about 1 hour, before adding frosting.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Vegan and egg-free – I’m sure that you could try making this recipe vegan or egg-free by replacing the egg whites with 2 teaspoons of ground flax seed and 4 teaspoons of warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes, then use in recipe. I have not tested this, but it’s where I would start. That, or an equal amount of apple sauce or banana puree.
Baking soda and baking powder – if you are going to use conventional baking powder or baking soda (not the Ener-G brand), reduce the measurements by half of what it calls for in my recipe.
Lucuma powder – I’m sure that this can be replaced with an equal amount of protein powder, banana powder or any other super food powder.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 230
- Calories from Fat: 55
- Total Fat: 6.1
- Sodium: 273 mg
- Carbs: 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 5.2 g
- Net Carbs: 34.5 g
- Sugars: 21.1 g
- Protein: 5.5 g