Coffee Cake Topping
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon finely ground, blanched almond flour
- 2 cups finely ground, blanched almond flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk – I used unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 medjool date, pitted
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 6 tablespoon coconut oil at room temperature
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170F and place rack in center of oven. Place the coffee cake topping nuts on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until fragrant and lightly brown. Let cool and then coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Set oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut sugar, roasted nuts, ground cinnamon and flour. Set aside.
- Oil a 9-inch spring form pan with a dab of coconut oil. Line the bottom of the pan with a circle of parchment paper.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the milk, date, and cashews and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the coconut oil until softened (about 30 seconds). Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture and milk mixture. Mix only until combined.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Sprinkle about half of the nut topping on top of the batter. Cover with the remaining batter and then sprinkle with the remaining nut topping. Bake for about 30- 40 minutes (mine took 40 but was a bit crispy and burned at the edges), or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before releasing the sides of the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 330
- Calories from Fat: 222
- Total Fat: 24.7
- Saturated Fat: 7.7 g
- Cholesterol: 31> mg
- Sodium: 110 mg
- Carbs: 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g
- Net Carbs: 19.5 g
- Sugars: 16.5 g
- Protein: 7.3 g