- 1.5 cups vegetable shortening
- 1.5 cups of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1.5 cups unsulfured blackstrap molasses
- 1.5 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3.75 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 3 tablespoon freshly ground flax seed
- 1.5 cup teff flour
- 2.25 cup light buckwheat flour
- 1.5 cup sorghum flour
- 1.5 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2.5 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Gluten-free candies like M&Ms, skittles, Mike n’ ikes, Swedish berries, hard candies, jelly tots, or jube jubes
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Combine shortening and brown sugar in a large bowl and mix with hand blender until light and fluffy. Add the molasses and vanilla and continue to mix. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon. Transfer to the wet mixture and beat with hand mixer until incorporated.
- The dough will be crumbly at first but will come together and a couple of minutes. Finish kneading by hand.
- The dough can be used right away, no need to chill. Take sections of the dough and roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness. If you don’t want to use the do right away, wrap in plastic and store in the fridge overnight.
- There is no need to flour the surface of your counter, the mix is very easy to work with!
- Cut desired shapes and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, depending on the sizes of your cut outs. We found that the smaller pieces were good with 8 minutes, and the larger pieces were perfect at 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Room temperature coconut oil could be used in place of shortening.
Brown rice flour can be used instead of sorghum flour.
Millet flour can be used instead of chickpea flour.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 208
- Calories from Fat: 83
- Total Fat: 9.2
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 193 mg
- Carbs: 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.2 g
- Net Carbs: 27.5 g
- Sugars: 13.7 g
- Protein: 2.7 g