- 2 cups roughly ground golden flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large eggs, I used pastured eggs
- ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs (if making savory) or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Place your waffle maker on the counter and heat on medium, or your desired setting for crisp waffles.
- Combine flax seed with baking powder and sea salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine fully and set aside.
- Add eggs, water and oil to the jug of your high-powered blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds, until foamy.
- Transfer liquid mixture to the bowl with the flaxseed mixture.
- Stir with a spatula, just until incorporated. The mixture will be very fluffy. Once incorporated, allow to sit for 3 minutes.
- Add in your fresh herbs or stir in the ground cinnamon.
- Divide mixture into 4 servings. Scoop each; one at a time, onto the preheated waffle maker and close the top. Cook until it beeps and repeat with remaining batter.
- Eat immediately or freeze in an air-tight container for a couple of weeks. Can be frozen and then toasted for a quick breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Fresh herbs: I like to use a combination of rosemary, parsley and thyme.
Make it vegan or egg-free: replace eggs with 5 tablespoons finely ground flaxseed with 15 tablespoons of warm water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it’s gooey. Alternatively, you can use 10 teaspoons of finely ground chia seed and 15 tablespoons warm water.
Waffle maker: I have this Breville Smart Waffle Maker but in Canada, it’s a circle. It’s the same product, just different shape in the US. This waffle maker has a moat around it that catches all of the batter that oozes over the side of the standard waffle makers making cleanup a breeze! And it locks in while you cook for even waffles through and through.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 550
- Calories from Fat: 378
- Total Fat: 42
- Saturated Fat: 6.7 g
- Cholesterol: 233> mg
- Sodium: 575 mg
- Carbs: 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 15.4 g
- Net Carbs: 3 g
- Sugars: 1.3 g
- Protein: 18.3 g