Greens bowl loaded with steamed greens, paprika roasted almonds and a creamy mushroom sauce.
When your body is not getting estrogen, it has a hard time maintaining bone density – a major problem for someone who hasn’t been producing estrogen for over 5 years (aka me).
As some of you know, I started on hormone replacement therapy earlier this year and massively shifted my eating style to get my estrogen levels and bone density in check.
Three things I’ve been relying on to increase my bone density…
Greens (like broccoli, kale, spinach, asparagus, cabbage, spinach and watercress)
Almonds (homemade almond milk, soaked almonds and almond butter)
AOR is a Canadian-based company (their products can be found in Canada, US and UK) that has sponsored my entire journey – start to delicious finish. They’ve been with me every step of the way. Last month, we focused on hormones. This month, it’s all about the healthy bones!
Their Bone Basics product stimulates bone formation and increases the body’s ability to absorb calcium. One of its active ingredients ishydroxyapatite complex – an extract of bovine bone derived from New Zealand pasture-fed, free-range livestock not subjected to routine antibiotics or rBGH. AOR has a vegan bone supplement, too.
In true Healthful Pursuit style, I’m approaching my “health issue” the only way I know how – with a combination of balanced lifestyle choices, fantastic supplements and good food.
For me, it’s the only way!
- 1 batch Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 12 asparagus spears
- 1 teaspoon grape seed oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 small cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- ½ cup almonds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Sea salt, to taste
- Water, for sauteing
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Add broccoli and asparagus to the sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add oil and cumin seeds to a medium-sized frying pan. Toast on medium-high heat for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add onions and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low and saute for 10 minutes, adding a splash of water a couple of times if needed. Add almonds, paprika and salt. Continue to saute for 10 minutes.
- Place 2 cups of spinach in the bottom of each bowl. Pour mushroom soup over top then stack veggies and paprika almonds on top. Serve!
View nutrition information (once on page, scroll down)
I’d love to know:
Do you add specific foods into your day that helps with your various health goals?
If so, share your story! I know a bunch of women in our community will benefit from your experiences.
PS: stay tuned next week for an exciting AOR giveaway ;)