Bits of cauliflower enveloped in a toasted coconut milk and cardamom sauce. Coconut “rice” without the grains or starch.
People who love to eat? That’s ME! (And I know that’s you, too)
I received a copy in the mail a couple of weeks ago and honest to goodness, I couldn’t decide which recipe to make first.
Mustard-Garlic Brussels Sprouts, Sunrise Scramble, Plantain Nachos… ah, the choices?!
In the end, I went with the recipe that made me the MOST skeptical.
Coconut Cauliflower Rice.
Sounds a little crazy, don’t it?
I assure you, this recipe is nothing short of brilliant! Kevin and I couldn’t stop eating it.
Lightly adapted from Well Fed 2 Cookbook, Melissa Joulwan
- Break the cauliflower into florets. Using a cheese grater, grate the cauliflower. Or, if you have a food processor, add florets to the bowl of your food processor and pulse until cauliflower looks like rice. About 10-15 seconds of pulsing.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the coconut oil, melt, then add the onion. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cardamom and stir with a wooden spoon until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower and coconut milk, stirring to combine. Saute the cauliflower for about 10-12 minutes until the coconut milk is adsorbed.
- The consistency will be a little off for awhile, but it will come together as the cauliflower dries out a bit and brown specks begin to appear.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve!
View nutrition information (once on page, scroll down)
And? You can make it savory (like above) OR sweet by adding in a touch of cinnamon and cardamom and omitting the onion, salt & pepper.
The sweet version is delicious with a touch of maple syrup and bits of fresh apple. I think I’ll have to make it again, take pictures of it and share it with you.
I would love to know (as I can’t be the only one!)…
What recent recipe were you skeptical of that totally surprised you?
Are you familiar with Melissa from Clothes Make the Girl?
Her blog is filled with gluten-free, grain-free goodness. Highly recommend checking her out.