I’m a huge fan of roasted vegetables.
They’re easy, versatile, flavorful and make for amazing leftovers.
You can blend them with chickpeas to make hummus, add them to a salad, eat them plain, or stick them in between 2 slices of gluten-free bread for a quick sandwich.
They must have known I was coming, because we ate a lot of roasted veg at Yasodhara ashram, including this eggplant and zucchini grain bowl.
- ¼ cup millet, rinsed
- ¼ cup buckwheat, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1½ teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 teaspoon extra virgin coconut oil (optional)
- Place all marinaded veggies ingredients in a large bowl. Cover, and place in the fridge for 1 hour (optional – just makes the flavors combine nicely)
- Once marinaded, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicon baking mat. Cook in a preheated oven at 375F for 50 minutes, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, combine grains and water in a medium sized saucepan. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and allow to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep the lid on until ready to use.
- Once veggies are ready, portion out rice and place veggies over top. Sprinkle with Herbamare and add an optional 1 teaspoon extra virgin coconut oil to each bowl.
View Nutritional Information (once on page scroll down)
We had these bowls for dinner last night and they were a huge success. Kevin had his with chicken and I stirred in a couple tablespoons of sweet almond spread for good measure. I’d have to say that combining these two yasodhara recipes is right up there with awesome!