Slow cooker shredded pork (or beef) made with stevia-sweetened natural Ginger Root Beer, honey-sweetened barbecue sauce and a simple blend of dried spices.
Another Crock Pot recipe for the books!
Stuffed in a sweet potato, sprinkled over yam fries with a touch of garlic aioli, or mixed with steamed quinoa and roasted veggies.
Really, any way you decide to serve this… it’ll be amazing.
And! Other shredded pork recipes call for upwards of 1 cup of brown sugar + regular ‘ol sugar-high root beer.
This recipe? Has none of that.
Natural, whole, goodness.
Through and through.
- 7 lbs. pork shoulder roast
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cans natural stevia-sweetened root beer
- 2 cups (500mL) gluten-free barbecue sauce
- Remove the twine from the shoulder roast and place in your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the roast with paprika, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Pour the root beer along the side of the pork.
- Cover and cook, on low, for 9 hours.
- Drain the juices from the slow cooker, return the meat back to the slow cooker, shred with a fork.
- Stir in barbecue sauce and cook on low for 1 hour.
- Serve with a roasted sweet potato and veggies or a gluten-free wrap, bun or bread.
Barbecue Sauce: Any barbecue sauce would do the trick. I used a honey-sweetened (local) barbecue sauce. You can also make your own using this sugar-free barbecue sauce recipe.
Pork vs. Beef: to make this recipe leaner, swap out the pork for a sirloin roast. You can keep all of the ingredients the same except you'll need 4 cans of root beer and you'll need to cook on low for 12 hours instead.
View nutrition information (once on page, scroll down)
This recipe makes 24 servings and I had all 24 of them. Back to back to back for 24 awesome days.
Check out all the ways that I enjoyed it HERE.
You’re a creative bunch. Other than stuffed in a bun, how else could you serve pulled pork?