Gingerbread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on December 8, 2013

Gingerbread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies #glutenfree #dairyfree #vegan Vegan, gluten-free gingerbread breakfast cookies made with cooked quinoa, blackstrap molasses and Winter spices.

Blackstrap molasses was the first superfood that I was introduced to. The great thing about this superfood is that it doesn’t cost an arm & a leg!

For those who don’t know; because I didn’t either, blackstrap molasses is one (of many) types of molasses. Blackstrap is created from the nutrients, minerals and vitamins that are removed from sugar cane when it’s refined into table sugar.

Quote-Line2

Basically, everything that’s missing from table sugar, is in blackstrap molasses!

Quote-Line2

Turns out, blackstrap molasses is high in iron, calcium, copper and manganese, potassium, b vitamins and magnesium. 1 tablespoon per day will provide you with 20% of your daily recommended intake of calcium and is even used as a natural multi-mineral for pregnant women!

Cool, right?

When purchasing a blackstrap molasses, make sure you look for an organic, unsulphured brand, like this one.

Gingerbread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies #glutenfree #dairyfree #vegan

4.7 from 3 reviews

Gingerbread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 24

Dry
Wet
Instructions
  1. Add quinoa and water to a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Once complete, remove from the stove, remove lid and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
  3. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl. Then, measure 1½ cups of the cooked quinoa and add to the dry ingredients. Stir to coat, until all quinoa granules are covered in the mixture. Set aside.
  4. Add all wet ingredients to a small bowl and stir well.
  5. Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir to combine.
  6. One tablespoon at a time, scoop mixture onto prepared baking sheet, leaving a small space between each cookie. They will not spread out, so you can keep the cookies close. Lightly form each cookie, as you’d like them to come out. I flattened them slightly between my palms.
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until cooked through.
  8. Remove from the oven, let cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and allowing them to cool for a couple of hours. Because cooked quinoa was used in this recipe, the longer you leave it to cool, the firmer the cookies will become.
Notes
Gluten-free Flour Mix: You could use any type of all-purpose gluten-free mixture that you have on hand. I like the Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten-free Mix, but anything should work here. I have not (successfully) created my own homemade all purpose mix. When I do, though, you’ll be the first to hear about it!

Oil: Feel free to use any type of oil here. I used grape seed because it has a high smoking point and I ran out of coconut oil this week because I’ve been drowning my veggies in it. Hey, it’s Winter. My body needs the oil ;)

View nutrition information

Gingerbread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies #glutenfree #dairyfree #vegan

If you’re interested in experimenting with blackstrap molasses, here are 5 of my favorite recipes using the wonder ingredient:

Healthy Blackstrap Molasses Recipes

1. Vegan Lentil “Meat” Loaf

2. Grain-free Gingerbread Protein Pancakes

3. Millet & Amaranth Porridge

4. Gingerbread Brownies (you NEED to make these!)

5. Vegan + Gluten-free Gingersnap Cookies

Gingerbread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies-5163 Have you tried making my quinoa breakfast cookies?

Which recipe is your favorite?

What flavor would you like to see next?

std-Full-Banner-468x60.005

Katy

This looks so good, but I thought flax seeds were not supposed to be heated and thus should not be used in baking. I thought theheat destroys all the great fats, causes rancidity, and releases free radicals. What are your thoughts on this?

Hey Katy – a flax company came on the blog a bit ago and explained the science behind this. I wish I could remember what blog post it was that they commented on. It was amazing! Basically, I’m not too concerned about it. But to each their own!

Barbara T

thank you SO much for sharing this, Barbara!!

Araceli

Any recommendations on how not to make them so firm and more soft/chewy instead?
Would love to try them.

You could try adding apple sauce into the mix!

Kathy

So grateful for this informative post! Not only do your cookies look amazing they have healthier ingredients for when we choose to indulge. I appreciate all you do. Thank you ~ Hugs!

Thanks for your beautiful comment, Kathy! Have an amazing day.

Kayla

These cookies look soooo good. I might add some fresh ginger to make them nice and spicy. :) Side note: In the first photo, I absolutely love how the little quinoa grains fade into quinoa bokeh. Quinoa bokeh! Magical.

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake

I’ve been craving ginger cookies. Thank you for the inspiration.

meg @ A Dash of Meg

in addition to things from your cookbook, i need to make those brownies at christmas :D my mom and eddie LOVE brownies :D

i also need to start incorporating some molasses into my diet! gee whiz i need to get with it ;)

lauren

I was LITERALLY just talking about having gingerbread for breakfast! You read my mind!!! Totes making these for tomorrow, especially if we are snowed in again. I may be out of fruit :( but I have all these ingredients. Thanks Leanne!

Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables

Yay, gingerbread! I can’t get enough ginger around this time of year.

Irina @ wandercrush

How creative to use cooked quinoa! I love the gingerbread flavour profile and am always looking for alternative cookie treatment, so this naturally will be going on my list.

Anna

Leanne,please tell me, coconut sugar and organic unsulphured blackstrap Molasses can eat for diabetics type 2?

Hi Anna – it really depends on your overall diet and whether or not you’re able to handle coconut sugar and blackstrap. If you pair it with lots of fiber, it should be okay… but it really depends!

Tiffany

Would the result be the same if I used coconut flour instead of APGFF? These look so yummy! Thanks for posting!

Melissa

These cookies sound delicious! I generally love ginger-y desserts, but the addition of quinoa makes them seem even better.

marlies

these are so delicious! i could barely restrain myself from eating the whole thing before i even baked them ;)
would you recommend storing these in the fridge or is room temp ok?

Hey Marlies! Wow… I’ve never tried the raw dough… because I use a gluten-free mix that has chickpea flour in it. You’ll only make that mistake once! I store them on the counter for a day or so, but no longer. Enjoy!

Chelsea

These look great! I’m excited to try them. Quick question- I don’t necessarily need them to be gluten free… Could is use just regular all purpose flour? Thanks!!

Hi Chelsea – I am sure that you could use any type of all-purpose that you have on hand!

Alley

Great recipe! I made a few adjustments for the ingredients I had. I used a half a pear instead of applesauce, canola oil instead of grape seed oil and added fresh ginger and a little extra cinnamon, and nutmeg! I like em full of flavor! They turned out great! Also in terms of making them a little bit more chewy (response to Araceli) I have found that taking a minute or two off the cook time makes them a little more chewy and moist. I baked these for 18 and they were just perfect but maybe try 16 minutes and see how they are after they cool. :) Thank you Leanne!