Cherry Chunk Protein Ice Cream

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 18, 2013

Cherry Chunk Protein Ice Cream (66)

I’m bursting with gratitude and love for you.

It’s been 48 days since my dessert cookbook launched and a momentous THANK YOU is in order.

The love, enthusiasm and incredible support you blasted my way throughout the cookbook process helped to fuel my creative fire.

I majorly rocked it because you light up my life.

Dessert Freedom is for people looking to confront cravings, indulge in dessert again, bust through their allergies, and feel good about their body.

Quote-Line2

Dessert Freedom has the potential to prime you for major growth, awesome happenings and healthy heights…

Quote-Line2

… and it’s super cool when I’m told that that’s exactly what my book is doing (hurrah!).

I work so very hard (I love every moment of it!) and knowing that I’m doing a good job is ultra nourishing – goes right to my heart!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Let’s celebrate with some ice cream (another healthy + easy dessert recipe to keep our Dessert Freedom motors revving!)

Cherry Chunk Protein Ice Cream from Healthful Pursuit

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

5.0 from 1 reviews

Cherry Chunk Protein Ice Cream
Author:
Allergens: Vegan (option), Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4

Healthy nut-free, dairy-free ice cream with cherry chunks and strawberry ripples. It’s packed with protein, too!
Instructions
  1. Add navy beans, non-dairy milk, banana, honey and extracts to the just of your high powered blender and blend on high for 3 minutes or until ridiculously smooth.
  2. Pour into a bowl and stir in strawberries and cherries.
  3. Ice cream maker version: transfer mixture into a bowl. Cover and chill for 12 hours. Then, use in your ice cream maker, according to its directions.
  4. Freezer method: separate mixture into 4 bowls and place in the freezer for a total of 3 hours. Remove bowls from the freezer every 30-45 minutes to whisk everything together and prevent the mixture from clumping.
Notes
To make vegan: use coconut nectar instead of honey.

View nutrition information

Cherry Chunk Protein Ice Cream from Healthful Pursuit

You have to blend the mix until it’s smooth. The smoother, the better. Blend it… HARD!

Cherry Chunk Protein Ice Cream from Healthful Pursuit

Then you pour the mix into a bowl and mix it with the chopped strawberries and pitted cherries.

If you have an ice cream maker, follow the ice cream maker instructions above. I have this Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and I love it dearly. We keep the bowl in the freezer at all times so ice cream can be made on a whim.

If you don’t have an ice cream maker, I included non-ice cream maker instructions in the recipe, too. It’s good either way.

Cherry Chunk Protein Ice Cream from Healthful Pursuit

And… the last thing I have to say about this recipe…

Don’t let the beans scare you.

Embrace the bean.

Your life will be better because of it.

Cherry Chunk Protein Ice Cream from Healthful PursuitWhat’s the craziest recipe/meal you’ve seen/read/eaten?

Beans in ice cream definitely tops the cake for me. So strange, so good, so totally making this one more than once!

LOL I’m smiling because I just made something similar to this on the weekend – no beans though! I love the cherry and almond flavour combo (hence that smoothie recipe I did as my guest post for you last year!) so this is totally right up my alley. As for strange recipes, I’d have to say your cauliflower lemon pudding! I never would have thought of that! :)

Linda

I was wondering if you can do this without the banana. While I love them I can’t eat them. This is the closest I have come to an ice cream recipe I can actually use. I would be thrilled if there was a substitution.

Fi

I make an “ice-cream” with frozen mango chunks from trader joes. Comes out with a similar texture to frozen banana ice-cream. I’ve also heard of people using frozen durian for ice cream. Apparently you can get it from SE Asian grocery stores. I haven’t been able to find it.

Durian, interesting! I’ve never heard of it!

Lindsay

OMG, this looks good! I am a black bean brownie superfan so dairy-free navy bean ice cream is right up my alley. So yummy looking and easy to make I need to buy myself an ice cream maker! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle Roebuck

“Embrace the bean.” Yes! I need to whip up a batch of this for some bean-shy folks I know. :)

I’m drawing a blank on weirdest thing I’ve ever eaten… A lot of things I used to think were totally bizarre are now “old hat”. On this side of things, where I eat more “real” foods, the things I ate when I was younger are starting to look like the “weirdest” things of all. Like Star Crunch Cakes from Little Debbie. Or Fruit Roll-ups of any flavor. Kool-Aid. Jell-O. Sunny Delight. I don’t feed my children ANY of those things, but I ate my way through kilos of each, I’m sure.

Dana

This is so true, Michelle! WHAT WERE WE THINKING??? :) I think back to the time (long, long ago) when I used to make a package of ‘fancy’ mac n cheese for breakfast (!!!!). A whole box just for skinny little 8 year old me! I don’t know how I ever thought powdered cheese was a great option, let alone why I thought it would make a wicked breakfast. Oh, how times have changed…

I SO had KD for breakfast, too.

Ally @ Om Nom Ally

Now that’s a surprising ingredient that looks like a killer idea! Even though it’s freezing cold here atm, I could go for a bowl or two of that ice cream right now :D

I LOVE this idea!!! If I can get my act together, it may be my #strangebutgood insporation this week. :)

Ágnes

Hi,
I don’t think that in Hungary I can find some navy beans, or at least I haven’t ever tried. :)
Do you think I can sub them with another kind of bean? Which one would you recommend?
Thanks!
Ágnes

Kat

Agnes,I’m Hungarian as well, but live in the US. Navy bean here is the same as our beans that are white ( don’t know the name). Also, another bean that’s similar in taste to the navy bean is the red bean we use for the “babgulyas”, I don’t know the exact name, but that reddish color one. My mom makes a cake using it.

Ágnes

Hi Kat,
thank you so much for your help! :)

Liz

Agnes,
Any other kind of white bean should work for this. I’ve interchanged canellini, Great Northern and navy beans in many recipes, always without a problem. As long as you can find a soft, light colored bean, that should work, I believe.

Ágnes

Hi Liz,
I know cannellini beans, I will give it a try with that! Thanks a lot!

Hi Ágnes! I bet you could try any type of white bean… whatever you can find!

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green

Beans.. in ice cream? No way. I looove cherries and ice cream so I will be making this asap!

Ya, I know… it’s CRAZY! But so good. Hope you enjoy it when you give it a try, Christine :)

steph@stephsbitebybite

You’re so sneaky!! I’m loving it!

Megan (The Lyons' Share)

This is so creative! I’m looking forward to trying it! And … CONGRATS on the success of the book!

Christine

Thank you so much for this recipe, I love it. I just made the batter and could barely wait for it to freeze before eating it all! I can’t wait to try other variations, I was thinking something with almond butter or cocoa powder could add a delicious twist!

jo @ including cake

Love it! I made a chocolate version using black beans last year but I hadn’t thought to try a ‘white bean’ variety. It looks awesome. :-)

Christa @ Edible Balance

This looks freakin’ amazing!! So creamy and incredibly creative. Yum!

Liz

I can’t believe you made ice cream out of beans! Well, I mean, I CAN, but I’m still blown away. :) I so wish I had an ice cream maker to try this out. I know you gave ice cream maker-less instructions, but I’ve never had much luck with making frozen treats using that method. I’m thinking I may have to invest in one just to try this out!

Dana

Congratulations on the success of Dessert Freedom, Leanne! It has totally rocked my world, that’s for sure. I was planning to try a new recipe every few weeks, but then I hit those dang Strawberry Chia squares and now I don’t want to try anything else for a little while… I keep making those squares over and over instead. (And by ‘over and over’, I actually mean I made them twice and am thinking about making them again instead of moving on to a different recipe. I’m savouring every bite of them and not wolfing them down like a demon.) :)

Wendy

I am SOOO going to try this, as soon as I find the canister to my ice cream maker! The strangest thing I’ve made/eaten? That would probably be the dark chocolate ‘mousse’ I made using frozen banana, frozen avocado, some other stuff, and, yes, kale. It’s actually pretty yummy!

kale in mousse? Wow, I need to try this!

Faye

leanne – this looks amazing. I have the same question as noted above – can I substitute something candida-safe for the banana? I’ll substitute yacon for the honey but I’m not sure what to do about the banana.

hope you’re well!!

Faye! Hi! How the heck are ya?! Things are well, thank you. You guys, too? I would just remove the banana completely, it was just sweetening it up a bit + adding a bit of creaminess. You could go with a handful of cashews in it’s place, I bet that would work really nice!

Kristina

I have one word for you: WOW. You never cease to amaze me with your ingenuity Leanne, keep up the good work!!

char eats greens

NAVY BEANS?!?! You never cease to amaze me ;)

NAVY BEANS *nods head with big grin*

Angela

Nice recipe Leanne
Do you soak and semi sprout your navy beans prior to cooking them in order to release those phytates and enzyme inhibitors which would make them much easier to digest?

Hi Angela – I always soak my beans for 3 days – 1 day on the counter, then drain, rinse, sprout for 1 day, then soak again for 1 day. No gas up in here!

Angela

Hi Leanne – that’s great but why do you soak them again after sprouting? I’m guessing this is for using raw but if cooking then would you just semi sprout then cook? Thx :)

Hey Angela! I’ve always soaked my sprouts in a bit of water to help them sprout… stronger I guess you could say? I have no idea if it’s necessary… just a little thing I picked up and it seems to work!

Lisa

Yum! I’ve been making hubby ice cream with bean puree/whipped coconut cream/vegan sweetened condensed milk (rice milk & honey reduced) and it’s SOOOO good! I’m going to try the banana as a sweetener instead and see what happens…I bet good things will result! Lol! :-)

Reba - Not So Perfect Life

Found your blog via your guest post on Eating Bird Food… OMG such a great idea to use beans! HIgh in protein and tasty… I’m not a fan of berries so i’ll sub them out. Thanks for the recipe!

jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur

I love how versatile beans can be. I’ve done several versions of “cookie dough” type treats, but hadn’t thought that the same concept could be applied to ice cream. What a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing with us, Leanne!

Suzanne @RollWithIt

Oh yum – this looks SOOOOO good! When I saw protein ice cream I thought you were going to use a protein powder but the beans are way more clean and accessible to the average person. Great idea! Love it!

KC

Is the measurement for milk correct? The mixture turned out very thin. Also, do beans need to be cooked or will canned beans work? Thanks!

Hi KC! You bet, it’s right. The beans are added to give protein and creaminess but the mixture should be thin, like pancake batter or a bit thicker. I used homemade cooked beans but I bet canned would work, too!

sarah

Hey Leanne, Really love your website and happy for your successes!

I have something to ask…would love your opinion….
I’m feeling REALLY badly about myself…my 2-day cleanse starts on Friday (I pre-purchased one for just 2 days…kind of nervous about it)…, so I was supposed to follow a specific meal plan for the 3 days prior to the cleanse (which I vowed I would do because I’ve been a BAD eater – I’m very emotional/bingy very late at night – well the last 2 days, I “binged” again very late at night (I’m talking like 1000 calories on top of a days worth of cals including a ton of sugars and carbs)…so today is just JUST ONE day BEFORE the cleanse and I didn’t do anything “right”.
This makes me feel so badly because really the cleanse is a good opportunity for me to finally straighten out my body and its not just a 2 day thing (my body REALLY needed the 3 day pre-cleanse). I could freeze the juices, but a part of me says no, just screw it, do the best I can today and start the cleanse on Friday (tomorrow ) anyway.
Thoughts? I feel so badly, everyone told me to eat the pre-cleanse diet…I’m wasting my money and hurting my body.
Please tell me its okay :) that I haven’t wasted my money and time and …body.

Feeling major down right now.

loren

I am sorry to hear you suffering over there. its hard work losing weight and getting our diets together but punishing yourself is even worse. maybe not to go to extremes but just start by eliminating things gradually and then maybe you’ll feel stronger to take off those other more extreme methods. just eliminate some stuff have good snacks on hand all the time. less opportunities to fail and more opportunities to snack. we have to fix our hearts and our brains before we can fix our bodies. much love sister girl. the world kick some ass everyday you don’t have to kick your own ass. Babysteps!! (PS i havesimiliar struggles. Pray for me n ill pray for you,okay?

nancy

love this recipe – wondering if you think I could somehow make this in a popsicle mold for summer snacks – to ramp up the kid-friendly factor! Maybe after the final whisking try to “smush” into into one?

Lisa Marie

I just put the “ice cream” in the freezer, much anticipation in the results. Fear the bean? I FEAR NOTHING!! :)) More to follow.

Melanie

I’m wondering if I can make ths without the almond extract, or if theres something I can replace irt with??

Melanie

I’m wondering if I can make ths without the almond extract, or if theres something I can replace it with??

You can make it without the extract, for sure!

meg @ A Dash of Meg

i love that there are beans in this! so cool :D xoxo

Samantha

Leanne,

I was wondering if you can use another fruit in place of banana due to my son have a banana allergy. Do you have any suggestions? Or can it be left out completely?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Samantha – it’s there to sweeten things. I bet you could use anything, 1/4 cup worth. Enjoy!

Samantha

Thank you so much! You’re a dear!

Lynn Paul

Have to avoid bananas for the time being…(and pineapple !) suggestions for the banana?

Hi Lynn ;) the banana is there to sweeten things. I bet you could use anything, 1/4 cup worth. Enjoy!

Ben

I find dates work very well a banana substitute, so long as they are well hydrated and then turned into a puree *prior* to be added to the other ingredients. To hydrate, immerse the dates in water for 8 hours.

Allison

im sooo going to make this today, my daughter and I are vegan and her bf is veggie and trying to find some sort of GOOD creamy ice cream. Will let you know how it turns out :)