Thyme and Onion Crackers (Grain-free + Nut-free)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on January 7, 2013

Thyme and Onion Crackers #grainfree #paleo #vegan #nutfree

If the dessert crackers from last week didn’t entice you, I’m sure that these will. They’re crunchy, savory and taste a lot like Wheat Thins, believe it or not. Also, don’t let the flax-base scare you. They’re not your average flax cracker. In fact, they’re anything but.

I remember the first time I made flax crackers. They took 3 days to make and a whole lot of patience. Soaking, drying, mashing, drying some more. And the result? Horrible, just horrible. The flax seed stuck to my teeth, they were all gummy and gross and the flavor just wasn’t there at all.

These crackers are not horrible. You don’t have to soak the flax, you don’t have to dehydrate them for days and they most certainly don’t taste like a hippie.

Ya, I said it.

Thyme and Onion Crackers #grainfree #paleo #vegan #nutfree

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

5.0 from 5 reviews

Thyme and Onion Crackers
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 15

Crunchy, grain-free flax crackers with loads of savory flavor.
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion (Vidalia)
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • ¼ cup grapeseed oil
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
  • ¼ teaspoon Himalayan rock salt or sea salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1½ cups roughly ground flax seeds or milled flax seeds
  • ¼ cup sunflower seeds, ground fine
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 225F and take out two large baking sheets. Set aside.
  2. Place onion, garlic, oil, thyme, salt and pepper in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse until onion is completely pureed.
  3. Add flax seeds and ground sunflower seeds and pulse just until combined.
  4. Transfer to a large bowl.
  5. Grab a piece of parchment paper about 10 inches wide. Scoop ½ cup of the cracker dough, roll it between your hands to make a ball, then place on one side of the parchment, in the middle.
  6. Fold over the parchment (like a book) and then roll the dough between the two pieces of parchment until it’s about ¼-inch thick. Fold away the top half and cut or rip it away. Score the crackers into 1-inch cubes. Keeping the crackers on their current sheet of parchment, transfer the sheet to a baking sheet and repeat.
  7. Bake for 2 hours, flipping halfway through and removing the parchment paper. The baking time will vary greatly on how thick/thin you make the crackers. You want the end result to be crisp, crunchy with no moisture left.
  8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
  9. Makes 75 crackers, 5 crackers per serving.

View nutrition information

Thyme and Onion Crackers #grainfree #paleo #vegan #nutfree

You’ll want to grind the sunflower seeds into a fine powder. You can do this in your food processor or a coffee grinder. My coffee grinder (that was all of $20) is one of my favorite kitchen appliances. It’s never once ground actual coffee, but it’s made ground flax, other seeds, nuts, masalas, you name it. Definitely a good purchase!

Thyme and Onion Crackers #grainfree #paleo #vegan #nutfree

For the flax, feel free to use the milled flax you can purchase at the store. I like Bob’s Red Mill ground flax because it’s a bit chunky and has some texture to it making it absolutely perfect for this recipe!

You’ll want to puree the onion until it’s really broken up. Think the consistency of apple sauce.

Thyme and Onion Crackers #grainfree #paleo #vegan #nutfree

Once the dough is prepared, transfer it to a bowl and begin rolling. You’ll find that the consistency of the dough is very, very similar to any other kind of cracker dough you’ve worked with. And if you’ve never worked with cracker dough, then this is a great way to be introduced!

Thyme and Onion Crackers #grainfree #paleo #vegan #nutfree

I liked rolling the dough between the two sheets of parchment to avoid having to clean up. I hate cleaning my kitchen.

Yes, Mom taught me that hate is a very strong word. Reserved for kitchen cleaning… I’m sure of it.

Thyme and Onion Crackers #grainfree #paleo #vegan #nutfree

When you begin scoring the crackers, you’ll see here that you can just lift the sections of remaining dough from the sides of the sheet.

Cut the sheet down to size and place on the prepared baking sheet.

Repeat until all remaining dough has been rolled, scored and placed on a baking sheet.

Thyme and Onion Crackers #grainfree #paleo #vegan #nutfree

You’ll likely need two baking sheets as this recipe makes quite a bit of crackers. But don’t worry, you’ll have no issue putting each one of the 75 crackers to good use.

Thyme and Onion Crackers #grainfree #paleo #vegan #nutfree

Other amazing grain-free cracker recipes on the web:

Ruta

Thanks so much for linking back to me!

These crackers are really interesting, and I’m envious of the perfect squares to managed to create. I’ve never had onions in a cracker, but now I want to try!

Of course, Ruta! I loved your take on the grain-free cracker, very creative :)

Maggie@SoulFoodComp

This is such a straight forward cracker recipe I love it! So many people end up snacking on refined highly processed crackers with no nutritional value whatsoever leaving them longing for more! These are a fantastic alternative! Have to check out the dessert ones now too!

Thanks Maggie! You’re so right. I am definitely the snacking type and have had my fair share of those empty cracker snack attacks. Well, no more!

You know I’m totally going to have to make these, AND another batch of the cinnamon ones again, right?! They sound awesome! Do you think using dried thyme rather than using fresh would work? I’m kinda excited to try experimenting with the other flavours we chatted about. I think you and I need to open a flax cracker making factory!

Well now that you have a grinder, you can make them again and again and again… if you really wanted to. I don’t know about dried thyme. I’m sure it would… Flax cracker making… sounds right up my alley!

In other news – vanilla balsamic in strawberry protein smoothie this morning = HEAVEN. Oh my word.

Chris

These sound amazing! What can I use instead of onion? I am allergic. Would pureed zucchini work? How much does the puree of onion amount to? Would it be an equal replacement measure?

Thanks!

Hi Chris – I haven’t tried it with anything other than apple and onion so I’m not 100% sure but zucchini may work. It wont give the same strong flavor so if you can have garlic, I would increase the amount in your zucchini version. Same amount (I would think) of zucchini to onion, 1 cup roughly chopped. Let me know how it goes!

Lisanne

I just love this website and have passed it on to several friends that are Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free, Low Carb and/or a mixture of these. I can’t wait to try this recipe! I have a great recipe for grain free, coconut flour bread that is MOIST!! Makes the most deicious french toast. Let me know if I can post it somewhere on here.

Thanks for sharing the Healthful Pursuit love, Lisanne. It means so much to me that you’ve shared the blog and my recipes with your friends and family. Wow, coconut flour bread that’s moist? Sounds right up my alley! Feel free to add it to the comments here if you’d like!

These sound absolutely mouthwatering!

They ARE! In fact I’m eating some right now with a bit of hummus and a bunch of fresh-cut carrots!

Tamikko

mmm, savory! This is such a quick and seemingly easy recipe, I’m amazed. I’ve seen so many cracker recipes that make you want to buy them ready made because it looks so time consuming and you just know you’re going to eat them all in 1 or 2 days. I think I’ll make this recipe while I’m juicing and stock up. How long do you think they’ll keep for Leanne? Thanks for the recipe.

Ugh, I know, right? I’m so lazy in the kitchen (believe it or not). Always trying to cut corners so that I can move on to other things. A couple of hours of prep work for crackers just isn’t worth it! I’ve kept a couple of my batches in the fridge. The one was in there for 3 weeks with no issues at all. Enjoy!

Another winner cracker recipe! You are so good at them and all the flavors & variations are endless and they look so healthy and satisfying!

Thanks Averie! I’m sure I could go a little overboard on all different kinds of cracker flavors. Think I’ll take a break for a week or so… I have too many crackers in the house!

katrina

LeAnn,
Is it possible to eat too much flax? I have heard that consuming more than 2 Tbs. per day can be toxic. it would be easy to consume more than that with these crackers.

Hi Katrina – that’s an excellent question, and something I had to look into as I wasn’t too sure on the answer. From a bit of reading I found that the hydrogen cyanide levels (the ‘toxin’ that people refer to when talking about flax seed) are the same in flax seed as they are in lima beans, fava beans, chickpeas, cassava, yams, cashews and almonds. I’ve listed each serving to be 5 crackers which works out to be about 1 1/2 tablespoons of flax seed per serving of cracker so that’s not too much flax to warrant worries about eating too much. Hope that helps!

Suzanne @ RollWithIt

BAHAHAHAHAHHA! “and they most certainly don’t taste like a hippie.” I love it! These look amazing – loving your creativity Leanne!

Jessica

Your baking bowls rule. And now I have to make these crackers if they don’t taste like a hippie. Can’t wait!

Shundara@ SavyNaturalista

I love crackers but I have had a hard time finding a recipe.. I am so excited to try this recipe since I have some thyme that I need to use up quickly; will this recipe work well in a dehydrator?

Great to hear, Shundara. I hope you enjoy them just as much as we have! Yes, I’ve made these in the dehydrator too and they worked wonderfully. I had them at 110F for 7 hours if I remember correctly. Enjoy!

Harley

Do you think I can substitute grapseed oil with walnut oil? Can’t wait to try these!

Oh I’m sure you can, Harley. I just made a batch last night with olive oil so I think any type of oil is fair game.

Heidi

Thanks for the recipe. I used to love munching on wheat thins so hope this will take their place. I made some flax crackers a couple weeks ago and put them in the freezer. I just get a few out whenever I want some and they have stayed nice & crisp.

I hadn’t thought of placing my crackers in the freezer. I’ll have to give that a go, granted they last long enough for them to be placed in the freezer! I hope you enjoy the recipe, Heidi. I’d love to know how you like it when you give it a shot!

Cookie and Kate

These look like such a tasty, savory treat! I have never tried making crackers. Love that I could share these with my gluten-free friends.

These ones are super easy, great introductory recipe for a cracker newbie!

Mrs G

Great crackers, Leanne! We really liked the recipes.
I did 2 minor substitutions: sunflower oil in place of grapeseed and fresh basil instead of thyme.
Delicious!

Basil… oh yes. I’ll definitely have to try that next time! So happy that you liked them :)

Peggy

The possibilities are endless when I start to think of things to serve these crackers with! Love the savory combo =)

Sus

These are 5 star crackers! I absolutely love them! My husband really liked them as well. The combination of the sweet onion and thyme is incredible!

Cat

Hi !
I am digging your recipes, fo sho! ;)
Question …. if I don’t have grapeseed oil, is there another type of oil I can substitute? Maybe coconut oil? I want to make these today but don’t have the GS oil

Thanks!!
Cat

Cat

Ok I just read other comments & answered my own question! :D

Thanks!!

Awesome, glad you found the answer! Enjoy the crackers, Cat ;)

Betania

Thanks for the recipe, I eat grains (and mostly vegan) but my husband tries to limit his carb consumption so this will be a good alternative for him. I’m thinking of making them following the recipe first, and then perhaps try out green pumpkin seeds (pepitas) instead of sunflower seeds, to see how that tastes. I’d also like to try adding a few other seeds for flavor, such as poppy seeds or caraway perhaps. We’ll see if I get around to it.

Caraway… interesting. Sounds like you have some awesome flavor combos up your sleeves, Betania!

Sus

The caraway seeds sound really interesting.

Kim

Pumpkin seeds, great idea! I also would like to try these with sesame seeds, and maybe some ginger? My hubby does not like these, but I’m glad – more for me!!! They would be great with a big hunk of cheese… :(

Gisele

This is a PERFECT snack item for someone with Candidiasis. I’m going to make these crackers this afternoon.

You’re right, it is! Here’s another one you might like, too: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/04/yeast-bustin-carob-clusters/

Gisele

Yum. Those Carob Clusters look great. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

They were my go-to snack when I was killing off the yeasty beasties. Enjoy!

Michelle

I really wish I had some of these today to go with my homemade “Mama Hummus” (as my kids call it)!

You may have said and I just missed it, but why is grapeseed oil your choice for these crackers and others? I’ve used it in a cold noodle salad before, but never like this. I’m very curious. :)

Mama hummus… sounds like serious business! I like baking with grape seed as opposed to other oils because it has a high smoke point. I would have used coconut, but I wanted to make them as allergen-free as possible.

Deb

Hi Leanne!
I just made these. I am so excited to make these with my granmunchkin! We cook together (she’s only 2 and loves to put her apron on with ‘ammah’ and bake. ). I sent your website to my allergist to give to her patients. It’s a life-saver to us with food allergies . I was sharing my recipes with her but your site is FAR more awesome. Deb.

Maya

Hi Leanne!

Thank you for developing this recipe; these look so delish :-) My diet is so restrictive – to have a few crackers would be heavenly. Speaking of restrictions, I can’t have flax seeds at this time; do you think this recipe would work with ground hemp seeds? I wasn’t sure if not having the mucilaginous property of the flax would impact the final outcome. What do you think? Will they fall apart without the *glue*?

Hmm… that is such a great question. And… I’m not sure of the answer. I think you may be okay, but I don’t want to tell you it would be 100% fine. If you do try it, please let me know how you get on with it!

CJ Larson

OMG! This recipe has been patiently waiting for me to make it, but finally, today was the day. It was so easy to put together, that I kept checking and rechecking the recipe to make sure I was doing it right, because it just seemed too easy. Then once I got it going in the oven, I almost went nuts from the delicious aroma wafting to me from the kitchen.

I was concerned it wouldn’t taste right as I sampled the dough (pre-baking) and it tasted like it needed more salt. I sprinkled just a smidgen on the top figuring that would work, and boy did it! These are so yummy and crispy that I just may have to make it a staple in my kitchen.

I just wish I had them done when I was eating my homemade tomato soup. D-lish! Oh well, there is always lunch tomorrow! Thanks so much. Can’t wait to make more.

Blessings! CJ