I’m headed on a little solo trip to NYC this morning for a 4 day photography workshop coupled with 3 days of checking out some of the best gluten-free meals the big apple has to offer. I’ll be posting oodles of pictures on Instagram if you’d like to join me in my hostel staying, subway riding, and good food finding adventures!
If it were up to Kevin, he’d live off sliced bread, sausages, hungry man meals and homemade oatmeal jars in my absence. So I made him a stew. A veggie stew. A no meat, all vegan, hearty, nourishing stew that I know he’s going to love because it tastes like Greek salad and has spinach in it. For a guy that could live off meat, he sure does love his cooked spinach!
So even though there is definitely going to be an increase of sausage consumption up in the Vogel Kraft house for the next week, this vegan stew should help balance things just a little.
To print, email or text this recipe, click here.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups gluten-free, yeast-free vegetable broth
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups raw buckwheat groats, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups chopped eggplant
- 1 cup (300 mL jar) roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onion, shallots and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, buckwheat, vinegar, rosemary and marjoram. Cover, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer until the buckwheat is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the chopped eggplant 10 minutes in.
- When complete, stir in the roasted red peppers, spinach, and olives. Allow to cook until heated through, season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Remove rosemary sprigs before serving.
View nutrition information (once on page, scroll down)
Other vegan and gluten-free stews in cyberspace:
- Eggplant Chickpea Pomegranate Stew from Vanilla and Spice
- Moroccan Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew from A Couple Cooks (just omit the dollop of Greek yogurt)
- Black Eyed Pea and Mung Bean Stew from Vegan Richa
For Kevin, it’s sausages. For me, it’s a baked sweet potato with hemp seeds. What’s your go to meal when you just don’t have the time (or energy) to prepare anything?