- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups raw buckwheat groats, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups chopped eggplant
- 1 cup (300 mL jar) roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onion, shallots and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, buckwheat, vinegar, rosemary and marjoram. Cover, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer until the buckwheat is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the chopped eggplant 10 minutes in.
- When complete, stir in the roasted red peppers, spinach, and olives. Allow to cook until heated through, season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Remove rosemary sprigs before serving.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
To prepare in a slow cooker, add all ingredients and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 346
- Calories from Fat: 85
- Total Fat: 9.4
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 1660 mg
- Carbs: 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 10.3 g
- Net Carbs: 43.6 g
- Sugars: 12.1 g
- Protein: 16.7 g