A Tour of Our New Home (Before + Afters)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 14, 2012

Our move is officially complete! It feels good not to be tripping over boxes, getting packing tape stuck to my socks, or fishing for my underwear out of a large suitcase. Remind me to never move again. It’s so much work!

All of our friends and family have been begging us for pictures of the new place, so I thought it’d be fun to give everyone a little tour of our humble abode.

Come on in!

The entrance way to our home has doors on either side allowing me to put up more seasonal wreaths. Yay! I have a little thing for owls, so finding this wreath was the highlight of the season.

We love sprinkling pictures of us and the family throughout our house. Only problem is that we ran out of pictures of us as we were setting up this frame so the random family on the left side will just have to stay there until we photograph more memories.

Our entrance way is nice and large with granite-like tile from the 60s. Starting on the left is the door to my office and going clockwise from there is the bathroom, then the kitchen, Kevin’s office, our bedroom, the living room, then the stairs to the basement.

There was a little space in between my office and the bathroom where I chose to place an old dresser that my Aunt gave us, along with a ridiculously old picture of my family, and my Sylvia Grantins paintings. Her work is so beautiful! We’re using this dresser as a place to house our seasonal things like scarves, hats and mittens.

My favorite room in the new house is my office. It’s 100 times better than my previous one because all of my things are in one place. It’s my office, my studio, my prop room, and it’s huge! I still have to decide on what curtains I’d like in the space, but other than that, it’s complete.

The room was mustard yellow when we moved in making the space far from inspiring and warm. Nothing a little purple paint can’t fix!

I chose to use Hemnes shelves to house all of my blog props, and even managed to fit my chaise in the room without it being too cramped. I’ve already cuddled up in that spot to read a book, take a nap, or work on my sketches.

Here’s where I’ll take all of my food photos for the blog, complete with my new Lowel Ego light that I can’t wait to try!

In my previous prop room my fabrics and backdrops were all over the place. Now, they’re all tucked away in a drawer. So much better!

Before we visited Montreal to check out the new place back in August, Kevin and I put together a little swatch book using Behr swatches so we could get a feel for what colors we wanted each room to be, and what matched our current furniture. These swatches were so handy! Once we decided on the theme for each room, we took the little book everywhere with us to help us decide on colors of pillows, paintings, etc.

The colors we used for my office:

• Weeping Wisteria
  • Ultra Pure White
  • Crowning
  • Cloud Nine

Okay, on to the kitchen!

Very minimal counter space, right? And there is no dishwasher. I know, I was scared at first, too but I’m happy to report that having such a small space actually encourages me to keep the kitchen tidy but doesn’t limit what I can do. We set up an IKEA counter on the other side of the kitchen that I can drag over to the end of the stove if I really need the extra space. I haven’t needed it yet, but I’m sure I will once I get into massive amounts of recipe development again next week.

We didn’t have to make many changes to the kitchen when we moved in. Thank goodness because kitchens are not that fun to paint!

My pantry is very deep making it difficult to find things. The trick is just memorizing what’s on each shelf and where, and then not messing up with the organization. It may not look like much, but there’s a system to this setup.

Unlike in the old place where I had absolutely no space to showcase my favorite cookbooks, now I do! Having my cookbooks in the kitchen is far better than having to store them on a bookshelf in my office.

For the kitchen, we went with:

• Asparagus
  • Swan Wing
  • Celery Ice
  • Mysteria

I’m in the middle of building a large spice rack system in the kitchen on one of the bare walls at the entrance. I’ll be sure to share it with you when the project is complete.

One of our favorite spaces in the home, and a requirement we had when searching for a place, is our large balcony. This Alberta girl just can’t live without her barbecue and access to the great outdoors.

Kevin’s office is still under development. We ordered a white desk for him which should be here in the next couple of days. The room was originally all yellow, but he wanted one blue wall, so we went with a navy blue called Deep Royal. I think it’ll look fabulous when it’s complete!

Okay, maybe the master bedroom is my favorite room of the house. Can I have two favorites? The colors we chose are so calming and earthy, I could spend all day in here. We’d had our eyes on this color palate for ages, always wanting to paint the old house, but never having the time. I couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out and wish we’d done it sooner.

The walls were originally beige and blue. Pretty, but not us.

I used an IKEA closet organizer to house wicker baskets with all of my dresser items – socks, bathing suites, jeans, etc.

And our dream log cabin sits beside the bed for safe keeping. Maybe one of these days we’ll get around to staining it, although the natural color is growing on me.

And of course, no bedroom would be complete without Snuffles, my childhood stuffed animal. That polar bear is 26 years old and probably the most-loved bear around.

For the bedroom we used:

• Egyptian Nile
  • Cottage White
  • Rejuvenate
  • Chanti

Don’t those colors just sound amazing?

On to the living room!

The glass mosaic has yet to be hung because it’s over 100 pounds and building a system for it to stay secure on the wall is proving to be difficult.

The original feature wall was red but I wanted to make the room a bit more earthy, so went with a milk chocolate color instead.

We placed a little table behind the couch to break up the two spaces a bit, and are in the market for a sofa table to store all of our blankets, pillows and extra blog props from across the hall.

For a coffee table, I made one out of a serving tray and a storage box. The space between our couch is small, and requires a table that can be moved around easily, and this is perfect!

The colors for our living room are:

• Earth Tone
  • Linen White
  • Clamshell
  • Shy Violet

Down the stairs is a small room that we’ve made into a second living room, complete with a sofa bed for when people come to visit us.

And of course, we needed a place to put all of our games!

Wow, that was a lot of pictures, wasn’t it? We couldn’t be happier with the home we chose, our neighbors, or the community. While we miss our old place, we both have no regrets about making this substantial change at this point in our lives. And, after just a few short weeks here, it’s already starting to feel like home.

… Lexy agrees….

Oh WOW Leanne, you guys have done a BEAUTIFUL job!! I adore your office! As you’ll soon see, my room is purple too, so I’m definitely in support of your colour choice! I love all the natural light you’ve got pouring in the windows there. And that patio – oh my goodness!! Umm.. can I come over for a BBQ tonight?! If I hope on the train now I should be there by dinner! ;)

Thanks, Angela! I’m really happy about the space. It’s the first home we’ve had that totally, 100% feels like us! I can’t wait to see your purple room, that sounds absolutely perfect. You can come for a BBQ if you bring us a propane tank… still haven’t gotten around to getting one. Sound like a plan? ;)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

I love every paint color you picked out! Keeping the random family in the frame is totally something I would do (on purpose) and the little log cabin you keep by your bed is tres adorable!

Thanks Erica! I felt like such a rebel picking any color I wanted and going to town. I’ve never painted so many walls without much concern with the outcome. And, it all worked perfectly!

Dana @ Minimalist Baker

gorgeous home, and I love your workspace!

Tastefully Julie

Wow! The house looks absolutely stunning and I can’t believe how fast you got it done. Color me a tad jealous of all your great props, too!

Michele Sparrow

Your house is awesome! When you had mentioned a while back that you were scaling down in size, I imagined that you would be cramped within a tiny, little space. But, you have so much room! Your organization makes me wonder what in the world I have been doing with all of my time! LOL! You have done an outstanding job on your home and I bet it is an absolute comfort to dwell in it now. Congrats on getting everything done so beautifully! :-)

Thanks Michele :) We were definitely living excess in our last home. This space is half the size and still has so much room. The best thing I’ve found with downsizing is that we have just enough furniture and decor for each room whereas in the last house, everything was spaced out and empty feeling. Thanks for all your kind words!

Jessica

It’s beautiful! It’s hard to believe you just moved in recently! hahaha :) Great job, beautiful colors!

Woohoo! That’s what we were going for. I despise living out of boxes, so we just pushed through it and got it all done as quickly as possible.

Jo @ LivingMintGreen

Leanne, your home is so beautiful & inviting – well done! (I have the same wall flower mural) I LOVE the color choices for your home office & bedroom. ( My bedroom is mint green…. obvi :D )
I’m intrigued by the green floor – is it painted hardwood?! Lovelovelove!

Thanks Jo! Mint green, good choice for you for sure.

Yep, the floor in the basement is green stained hardwood. Crazy, right?

Janae @ Bring-Joy

Leanne, wow, wow, wow. You are amazingly organized. I’m soo coveting all your dishes & props. I have NOTHING to work with at our current location, so my shoots are real & raw as can be :). In a few months I’ll be able to settle into my own kitchen & get things going again. For now I have to settle with white dishes.

Are you renting (maybe I missed that somewhere)? If so, that’s so cool that you can paint & change things up. Everything looks beautiful. I’m having a good dose of jealousy right now :), especially since it’s still going to be awhile yet until we’re living in a place of our own. Super excited for you–you’re amazing!

You’d never be able to tell from your photographs, Janae. They all look just amazing as before. Plus, white dishes have lots of potential!

We are renting, yes. Probably wont buy again for awhile until we figure out what we’re going to do with our home in Airdrie and where we want to settle down (if we want to settle down at all!). One of our requirements on finding a new place was that the landlord allow us to paint. I couldn’t live in a house that I couldn’t personalize, no way!

Stephanie

Lovely house! I love how much color you added!

As I was flipping through the photos I noticed that you and I have the same stuffed polar bear! Mine is about 30 years old (my aunt gave it to my parents when they got married but I pilfered it as a little girl) and in similar condition. What a coincidence!

lol that’s too cool! That guy has been my best bud for many years, what a coincidence!

Crystal Phillips

Can’t wait to visit!!

You’re welcome any time :)

Boofly

Very nice!! have you no pictures of the “loo”?

Nope, not yet… it’s a work in progress and I couldn’t get any blog-worthy shots. I should be done all of the painting and projects in the next couple of weeks.

Michelle@Peachy Palate

I love all the colours, especially the strong blue and the purple! All looking gorgeous! Hard work definitely paid off!

Thanks Michelle!

Dayanna

Wow! Looks amazing. I agree with you owls are the best – I have a big quirky bird obsession!
Would love to see more pictures of your office and how it is organized. It looks so awesome and I love the purple and white – so chic! Did you bring that funky light fixture you had with you in your last office?

Ah, I’m glad I’m not alone with the bird love :)

That’s a great idea. I’ll try to do a post about how I organized the office. It’s still a work in progress. Just need to solve my craft supplies situation…

I didn’t bring the funky light :( our new tenants wanted to keep it, so I left it behind but I’m in the market to locate a new one!

Jennifer S

Looks AMAZING! Your color choices are so vibrant and fun. Question. What kind of water filter is that in the kitchen shot?

Hi Jennifer – thanks! The water filter is a santevia water filter for alkaline water. We’ve had it for a couple of months and I’m still not sure what I think about it, so I haven’t written anything on it just yet.

chris jennings

Congrats on your new place!!! Beautiful decorating!!! What is the appliance behind the stove on the angle? Just like new things! Thank you for sharing

Thanks Chris! Appliance behind the stove on the angle… I think you’re talking about the indoor grill. I haven’t quite figured out what to do with it yet other than to make the perfect slice of golden toast. It doesn’t get hot enough to cook meat, but will toast just about anything to perfection!

Tamikko

I love your new home! The colours are so homey! I can’t believe you painted all those rooms, I’m going crazy painting just two. Please show us around your kitchen when your spice rack is done. If you don’t mind I’m going to steal some of your colour ideas too :) Welcome home!!!

Yes, steal away! They’re all so warm and fabulous. I wouldn’t change a thing if I had to do it all over again… except to maybe space out the time I gave myself to paint. All those walls in just a couple of days was a bit ridiculous!

Your new place looks beautiful! My absolute favorite part is the teal wood floor. That is so awesome.

It’s quite different, isn’t it? I didn’t like it at first, but now that it has some furniture on it, it’s definitely growing on me!

It’s so amazing what you’ve done in such a short time!!!!! And gorgeous ! From the lilac to the green, to the makeover from the burnt orange back to cream, and the end table with that lens! sitting on it…Leanne, you outdid yourself!

Thanks Averie! Picking out the colors was the best part…. painting all those walls, not so much. I think I have speckles of paint in my ears!

kim@hungryhealthygirl

That was fast….I love, love, love all of the beautiful colors! It looks cozy and inviting!

Thanks Kim!!

Melanie

Oh I love the green wood floor that’s awesome! Nice design and decorating, your hard work payed off it looks fab!

Thanks Melanie!

Robyn

Wow! You have been very busy indeed :)) Love all the vibrant colour and decor,,must feel so clean and fresh…now a little down time??

Oh yes, downtime is definitely being had.

Sophie

You did all of this in a week?!?!??!

It looksgreat!

Ha, ya… and I wondered how I got the flu… sheesh!

Kankana

Thanks for the tour and now I wish to vist someday :) And those props SIGH .. i went a little green looking at the gorgeous collection you have ..specially those colorful cake stands :) Now you can relax and enjoy the new space.

Carol

Wow! You just moved in and already have everything setup. I’m jealous. I’m still living out of boxes. I always wondered what a blogger’s office looked like:)

Irina @ Chocolatea Time

You have such a beautiful home! I love the colors you chose. Bright and fitting. Congrats again on the new home!

Julie

I used that same asparagus color for an accent wall in my kitchen. My roommate wasn’t fond of such a weirdly named color but loved it so much, we painted another wall!

Kevin was afraid of the color too, but I think it’s growing on him!

Patty

Congratulations, Leanne….it is such a dreamy place.

Thanks Patty!

Sonia! The Healthy Foodie

Wow! You did ALL that in so little time??!?! Oh my lord. I am impressed! But I mean really impressed! You guys are superheros! Beautiful place, absolutely love it. Your office is a dream, and that purple color? Amazing! I see we have the same tastes in colors also.

I couldn’t help but notice the beautiful natural light that you have coming in. Lucky! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the Lowel light though. Looks like a neat little gadget.

Well, thanks for giving us a tour and congrats on a job well done. It’s really a nice place you have there and I still can’t believe that you have done all this work in so little time.

I know right? I’m tired and I never want to see another paint brush again!! Well, maybe not never, but I’m holding off on touching up the corners and such for a little while.

The weather’s been bad these last couple of days so the light comes and goes. Darn rain, go away! I just told Brandon a couple of comments behind you that I just shot with the Lowel Ego today – loved the temperature of the light – not too warm, not too cold, just right. What I didn’t like is that it’s not long enough so the food at the front of the photo is nicely lit and the stuff at the back is darker. The pictures I took today will be posted on Monday. Have a look and you’ll see what I mean. Will try to rig something up to make it work for me instead of going out and buying something else.

Brandon

Leanne, your new home is great! You’ll have to let me know how you like the Lowel Ego light, I was literally JUST looking at them online two days ago! Congrats on the move-in!

Thanks Brandon! I just shot with it today – loved the temperature of the light – not too warm, not too cold, just right. What I didn’t like is that it’s not long enough so the food at the front of the photo is nicely lit and the stuff at the back is darker. The pictures I took today will be posted on Monday. Have a look and you’ll see what I mean. Will try to rig something up to make it work for me.

Courtney

Leanne,
Your home is lovely! I absolutely adore all of your color choices. My landlord won’t allow me to paint, so I’m trying to add color with decor, but I would definitely go bold with paint if I could. I especially love your purple office and green kitchen. Your organization puts my house to shame.

Thanks, Courtney! If it makes you feel any better, I can just about guarantee that in a couple of months time all of this organization will have gone out the window haha…

Kevin

Lots of paint. Lots of work. Lots of furniture assembly. Love the result.
Leanne is great at picking colors and making sure everything matches.

Aw, thanks :D Couldn’t have done it withoutcha <3

Mikelle @ Zen Thyroid

Leanne! I have been away from computer world for awhile and haven’t had a chance to tell you how excited I am for your new chapter in life. Congratulations to you and Kevin :) I love this post!!! Your home is so lovely. It seems like there is so much natural light in there. Beautiful. Your office is great – the purple is so cute and the chaise…wow to the chaise and rug. LOVE the bedroom color too. It is all wonderful and I am truly so happy for you!

Thanks, Mikelle! I hope you’ve enjoyed your time away from the computer. Were you on a vacation of sorts?

Mikelle @ Zen Thyroid

Yes and also of sorts :) Yes to a road trip through Utah and Colorado. The of sorts refer to a heavy metals detox that I am undergoing. Both have kept me away from the computer for awhile. Hope you are having a perfectly wonderful Sunday in your new home and new town. Must be so fun to explore all the new spots!

Sarah

Ahem. I have a Snuffles too!! I’ll take a picture and post it. Tweeting it is probably easier. I’ll do that :D (@appifanie)

Jen @ Existential Evolution

Your new place looks amazing! The hubby and I have been thinking about making a serious change as well…your story really hit home with me. I went on a spiritual quest to Sedona in April and since returning have realized that some serious changes are in order. Thank you for inspiring me to trust my gut even though most think we’re crazy to give up our great house and corporate jobs. I’ve started my blog recently as an outlet to pursue my heart’s true desire. Wishing you all the best in your new adventure.

Katherine @ Green Thickies

Wow your new home looks gorgeous. I adore your colour schemes throughout your house and how different all the rooms look from each other. You’ve got a real eye for details and home decor. In the past I’ve always gone with black and white as it’s easy to mix and match when I move house (as I do frequently) but now I’m finally settled I need to do up our plain house and I’m taking inspiration from your colour scheme.
Your cosy corner and space for taking photos in the natural light look perfect.
It’s hard moving house and I’m like you, I need to having everything sorted out quickly so I can get back to my normal routines.
I hope you’ll feel at home there.

Danielle @ A Sense of Balance

I love the color of your kitchen! I just finished up refinishing my kitchen cabinets to a lighter wood grain color similar to yours, and had been thinking about doing a green on the walls. Thank you for giving the paint colors your used, I might use that same one!

Michelle

How wonderful that you were willing to share your gorgeous new space with us! While I’m sitting here coveting several things (dedicated office space for each of you, that back deck – to die for!), I am grateful for the sneak peek at your photo props. As a novice blogger who more often than not still uses her iPhone for both photos and posts while juggling two young children (and and and), it was a good glimpse of where I could go as I grow. I have wondered about the lovely wood table that has appeared in so many of your shoots, whether it was an eating table or prop table – How ideal that you’ve created a lovely little food photography studio! Great inspiration – thanks!!

And I’ll try to make sure I update you when I make the dishes you recommended for my writing “boot camp” – next class coming up in T-minus three days and anxiously counting! Thanks again!!

Can’t wait to hear how those dishes go, and how the boot camp goes as well. Sounded like such a neat activity!

Charlotte

OMG!!!! I am absolutely IN LOVE with your place. And what you’ve done with it! You both did a great job choosing your colors. When I move out of my shoebox apartment I want to be able to decorate my walls and do whatever I like with them. I always imagined I’d have a similar color scheme; I’m not scared of experimenting and color adds so much life to a room. Especially love your office. Beautiful lavender/purple!

Heather

You both did such a wonderful job–it looks awesome! I love the paint colors you chose for each room. I’m glad y’all are all settled in!

Thanks Heather!

Cara

Love the new place, it’s looking great! If I were to repaint my office, it would be that color too. I just showed my husband your blog prop collection too and kindly asked him to stop complaining that I have too much :)

Thanks Cara :) Ha glad my collection stopped the bickering!

Holly

I love your room. What a great space for creativity. I also wish I had a chaise like that for reading.

Thanks Holly! I’ve had my chaise since I purchased my first home about 4 years ago. I do sure love that thing, use it almost every single day!

Michelle

WOW! You have a BEAUTIFUL home and I love all the bright colors!!! Thanks for the tour and congrats on getting in and getting settled!!

Thank you, Michelle!