Creamy Chicken Risotto

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on August 23, 2012

3 entrees in one week? I don’t think this has ever happened on the blog. I’m the girl that enjoys pancakes for dinner, gluten-free cupcakes in the afternoon, and chowing down on homemade granola… not gushing over a rib-sticking, comforting meal.

Hypothetically if my sweet tooth were to never return, I think it’s fair to say that I could live on this risotto. It’s creamy yet light, rich but not full of oil, dairy-free, made up of 9 easy to find ingredients, oh and did I mention it’s delicious?

I’ve enjoyed my fair share of risottos in my day, but none of them were made by me. Seems strange, doesn’t it? I’d always thought that homemade risottos were too complicated – lots of boiling, chopping, preparing, but when I saw how easy it was to do (thanks Tyler Florence), I figured it was about time for me to make the jump and create my very own risotto recipe.

The directions just look long but don’t be intimidated like I was. It’s really just like making a stir-fry, only you cook the rice with the stir-fry. Easy peasy!

print, email or text this recipe

5.0 from 1 reviews

Creamy Chicken Risotto
Author:
Allergens: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6 cups, 4 servings

This risotto is made up of simple, easy to find ingredients that combine to make one hearty, flavorful risotto.
Instructions
  1. Place olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for up to 8 minutes, until onion is translucent.
  2. Meanwhile, heat chicken broth and almond milk in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer.
  3. Add rice to onion mixture and stir for one minute.
  4. Add wine to pan to de-glaze. Cook until the wine has reduced completely.
  5. Add cooked and cubed chicken breast.
  6. Slowly add 1 cup of hot broth to the rice mixture. Bring mixture to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally until the broth is absorbed.
  7. Add another 1 cup broth, stir until absorbed.
  8. Add in ½ cup broth at a time allowing each portion to absorb before adding another. This process should take about 25 – 30 minutes.
  9. Once complete, risotto mixture should be tender. Stir in fresh parsley and serve.
  10. To store, place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Or, place in the freezer to extend lifetime, up to 2 months.

I realized as I was chopping up the chicken I’d just cooked that I didn’t have any chicken broth so I chose to use bouillon instead of running out to the store. Either one will do the trick. I used one with sodium so I didn’t have to add any additional salt to the recipe.

We haven’t been to our butcher in a while just because I’m no longer working in the city and finding an opportunity to use the car to go on a couple of errands has been pretty challenging to do lately! When this happens, I purchase PC Free From meats, meat raised free from antibiotics and hormones. It’s better than your average store-bought meat, but I’m still a bit skeptical of it.

You can use leftover chicken, or bake the chicken breast beforehand for this recipe. I wanted to make a recipe that I could re-purpose for all the leftover chicken we seem to accumulate throughout the week.

Begin by placing the olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for up to 8 minutes, until onion is translucent. Once complete, add rice to the mix and cook for one minute. Add wine to de-glaze the pan (my favorite part)

While this is happening, heat chicken broth and almond milk in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer.

Once the wine has reduced, add cooked and cubed chicken. Then, add a ladle or so of hot broth to the rice mixture. Bring to a boil, wait until it’s absorbed, then add more. Continue this until all of the broth is gone and the rice is tender. I left it to sit on the stove and stirred every couple of minutes.

After that, sprinkle in some fresh parsley, and away you go!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

YUM! I absolutely adore risotto. I haven’t made any since I cut out dairy though, for fear of being let down by missing my parmesan. You are making it not seem so bad now :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

The one time I tried to make risotto I absolutely destroyed the pan. Here’s to second chances!

Oh no! I made mine in a cast iron pan that’s been worked for many, many years. Nothing sticks to that baby… Maybe try cooking at a lower heat?

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

It’s been years since I butchered that first attempt but I think I did have the heat up way to high (I’m so impatient). I’ll try it again on a low heat and maybe use the cast iron skillet my mom got me that’s been collecting dust!

*gasp* cast iron collecting dust? Get on it! I swear you’ll LOVE your cast iron more than any other kitchen item you have. I bought mine for $5 at a second hand store 6 years ago and still use it every single day.

Ooh this looks so so good! I haven’t had a risotto in ages but you’re right – there’s really nothing hard about it – it’s just a stir fry really! Now that I’m craving more warm foods, rice is going to be back in my regular rotation. (I’ve been all about the quick-cooking quinoa, millet etc this summer.) Love the bright colours in your photos today! :)

Alissa N

I love Tyler Florence, I miss his shows. This looks sooo good, though I am not a meat eater, I think this would be awesome even meatless!! Have you ever tried farro?

Oh I’m sure it’d be great without chicken! I’ve wanted to try farro, but it has gluten so I can’t. I’ve heard it’s really great!

Alissa N

Silly me, I forgot you don’t do gluten! I also wanted to tell you (I feel like I am constantly confessing my love to you) that I really look forward to your posts every day. I love that you are consistent with posting, and everything is always scrumptious looking and brilliant!!!

Sweet! I love that you forgot… that tells me that (perhaps) you don’t see that my recipes are lacking in anything. Woohoo, mission accomplished! I’m really thankful for your kind words, Alissa. Muchly appreciated.

katie @KatieDid

I think risotto is pretty therapeutic to make. Just constantly stirring for 45 minutes can do a mind good!

Deborah

Ahhh. I think making risotto is the ultimate therapy. Just keep stirring. P.S. Thanks for the tip about blanching sun dried tomatoes! Makes them so much more tender.

kim@hungryhealthygirl

I need to try making risotto too. It’s always been one of those intimidating things for me to try to make. Your’s looks delicious and really pretty easy. I’m going to give it a shot!!

j3nn

That sounds very good! I haven’t made a risotto is years but I should. :)

Eat Good 4 Life

I haven’t made risotto in for ever!! Maybe now I will :-)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers

I haven’t tried to make risotto yet, but this sounds like a winner. I’m printing my copy now so that I actually remember to make it!

Alaine @ MY GF & DF Living

I have yet to try a dairy-free risotto! I think this recipe will be the winner. It looks so tasty. Thanks for posting!

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

oh YUM!!! that sounds like a hug in a bowl! :)

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry

I’m a risotto fan-Big Time! And yet I have never made a chicken risotto. This looks super creamy and delicious and love that it is dairy-free. Thanks for another fabulous dinner recipe!

Bethany

Quick question – if I freeze this lovely meal for future use, how would I thaw it best for serving?

Hi Bethany – I usually just throw my frozen meals from the freezer into a casserole dish, then the oven – 350 for 45 minutes or so, depending on the size of the frozen container. Alternatively, let it thaw on the counter for a couple of hours, then put it in the oven. Hope that helps!

Angie

I’m going to make this very soon…perfect for our family. Im going tomsoak some almonds tonite and make milk tomorrow. Yum!! Thanks, Leanne! I’ve so enjoyed joining your email list and your many recipes!!

It’s one of our favorites, too! I’m so happy that you joined the community :)

Tam

Hi Leanne! can I use a substitute for almond milk? I canĀ“t find any where I live. thanks!!

For sure, just look for a milk that isn’t sweetened with sugar or flavorings. I hope that helps!

Naomi

Thanks for this recipe. I have recently had to cut out dairy and I really love risotto. I tried this recipe and the end of result was very tasty!