Fudge-Tastic Brownies (Vegan + Gluten-free + Grain-free + Nut-free)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 16, 2012

Fudge-Tastic Brownies #vegan #glutenfree #grainfree #nutfree

Oh have I got a treat for you today!

I’ve held on to this recipe for months and am wondering why the heck I waited this long to make it. I guess there just isn’t enough time in the day to try each and every single recipe I have pinned, tweeted and Facebooked.

But there will always be enough time for brownies, always. Even if they are months in the making.

Fudge-Tastic Brownies #vegan #glutenfree #grainfree #nutfree

This recipe really appealed to me because it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, nut-free, sugar-free, potato-free, yeast-free, grain-free… and should hopefully be consumable by anyone with a food allergy. Heck, if you’re sensitive to chocolate you could sub out the cacao powder for carob and still enjoy them!

Fudge-Tastic Brownies #vegan #glutenfree #grainfree #nutfree

I often get asked by you guys, ‘how do I communicate my allergies and sensitivities to friends and family to avoid the awkwardness that surrounds social gatherings?’ My best answer is… send them a bunch of recipes! It’s usually far easier than trying to describe your allergies or write down a list of all the foods you can or cannot have.

This is one of those perfect recipes you can pass on to a friend, prepare for a group with multiple food allergies, and let that awkwardness just melt away… with fudgey goodness!

Fudge-Tastic Brownies #vegan #glutenfree #grainfree #nutfree

Lightly adapted from Elana’s Pantry

print, text or email this recipe

Fudge-Tastic Brownies (Vegan + Gluten-free + Grain-free + Nut-free)
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 16 servings

Allergen-free brownies fudge brownies. They’ll melt in your mouth!
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and prepare an 8×8 baking dish with coconut oil. Ensure all nooks and crannies are well oiled. The mixture naturally has oil, so I didn’t bother using parchment.
  2. In a food processor , combine bananas, sunflower butter and chia seed mix. Process until smooth.
  3. Add in coconut oil, date syrup, xylitol, stevia and vanilla. Again, process until smooth before adding cacao, salt and baking soda
  4. Transfer batter into a well greased 8×8 inch Pyrex baking dish and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and the sides begin to get golden.
  6. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Cut in the pan into 16 squares and have at ‘er!
Notes
note: if vegan, do not sweeten with honey. If grain-free, do not sweeten with brown rice syrup. note: I tried a batch without the stevia and they weren’t sweet enough. If you don’t want to use stevia, sub the plain roasted sunflower seed butter with the sweetened version and you should be good!

Fudge-Tastic Brownies #vegan #glutenfree #grainfree #nutfree

They are melt-in-your-mouth fantasticness. At least that’s how Kevin described it.

… and Lexy would have too if she had, had the guts to grab the brownie out of Kevin’s hand!

Fudge-Tastic Brownies #vegan #glutenfree #grainfree #nutfree

PS: these brownies are really, really not safe for puppies! Not only is chocolate toxic to them, but xylitol is too. Unfortunately they’ll have to sit this treat out, but you could always make them a batch of puppy treats!

oh myyy. Leanne, you really hit the target on this one. Seriously, so dense and fudgy….ugh, why do I have to go somewhere now? I have such a busy day and I’m going to have to wait to make these tomorrow…the torture!

Oooh swoooooooooooooon! These look so moist and dense and… just plain delicious! Question – you said potato-free… is that really a common allergy? I’d never have expected it!

Megan

Actually I have a potato allergy…I developed it last August. What?? Crazy. I have also learned the hard way that potato is in lots of things, even gluten free flours. But the plus side is that I’m turning into quite the pro at reading labels. :)

Brianne

These look amazing! Thank you!!!

Brianne

PS… Pinned! ;)

Gina C.

Wow. These look SO good. I have such a weakness for sweet chocolatey treats at night, but they don’t like me too much. These look like the perfect nighttime treat substitute! I’m so glad I am heading to the grocery store this morning — gonna pick up some sunbutter!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

Yum these look so fudgey! :)

meredith

Thank you so much! Its getting hard to find anything fun to eat with allergies… These look amazing.
I line outside US and cannot get sunflower butter read made – is that just grinding sunflower seeds much like almond butter? Perhaps I can make it myself? Would another nut butter work as a substitution?

If you’re not sensitive to nuts another type of nut butter would work fine. If I had to choose one, it’d be roasted cashew butter. My gosh, it’d be SO good in these brownies! But I’m sure anything would do the trick. Or yes, you could make the sunflower butter yourself with roasted sunflower seeds. Enjoy!

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

Brownies are my weakness!!
These look amazing =)

sophie

if i wasn’t already behind in my paper, i would make these today. :(

must it be a frozen banana?

I didn’t try it with anything but a defrosted banana, but I’m sure a ripe one would do, too! Good luck on your paper :)

I have seen that recipe of Elana’s umpteen times over the years but have never made it..love that you did an used SFSButter in these. My fave! They look so moist and rich and decadent!

hjortehjerte

It looks so good!

Why do you choose to use xylitol? It has always struck me as very unhealthy?

I thought that as well, so did a bunch of research into it, asked naturopaths, contacted companies, and I’ve found that it’s a lot more purer than many forms of stevia and can be very beneficial for your digestive system! It sourced from corn or birch. If you can find the birch version, that’s best!

hjortehjerte

Thanks for the clear up there. I have been told it hurts your digestive system, but if it actually don’t then it’s no harm using it, even better if it actually can help my digestive system! :)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan

Wow! A brownie I can actually almost eat on my elimination diet! Would only have to sub something non-sugar for the honey/agave/etc…though maybe I could convince my doctor to let me sneak in some coconut nectar soon. ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather

Those look seriously so fudgy!! You come up with the best recipes Leanne.

Stefanie

Yum! What a rich looking brownie.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin

Oh wow, these look incredible! And thank you for making them nut-free. :) I’m always having to tweak recipes from blogs to make them safe for me to eat, so I love that I don’t have to change a thing about these!

I love how fudgy these look!

Sonnet

This look incredible! I haven’t made brownies in a long, long time, but I think that is about to change. :)

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen

I love how these are nut-free! I feel like every healthy dessert recipe tries to replace bulk with a shi*load of nuts. This is great!!!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Um WOW! These look incredible! Great photos BTW, your colors are so brilliant!

Thanks, Beth :)

Paulina (One Smile Ahead)

These look so fudgy! Sunflower seed butter is my favorite! I bet it’s amazing in the brownies. I love how you take all kinds of diets into consideration :]

katie @KatieDid

wow oh wow. I wasn’t in the mood for dessert tonight until I just read this post, now I simply must go dig out some chocolate… wish I had these though, they sound incredible.

Marnie B

Aww. So disappointed! These looks AMAZING and are super appealing because they’re grain-free (I’m on paleo) but I can’t have them because of the banana. Amine intolerance. Banana makes me so sick I almost feel like I need an ambulance! Looks wonderful though, congrats!

Hi Marnie, I included a banana free version too in the recipe as there are a bunch of HP visitors that are allergic to bananas. You can use dates instead!

Marnie B

Oh wow, I read that wrong (tired!) – I thought it was dates AND bananas. Hooray!

Cheryl @ happy is the new healthy

Okay, these look phenomenal! I’m already looking for an occasion to make them for. I’ve got a friend who can’t eat dairy, most nuts, or gluten and she approves them so they’re on my “to make” list!

Sue

These look wonderful! Thanks for thinking of us allergic-to-foods people. Thought you and they might like this hint. I print and laminate a list of my food allergies (12 in all) to carry it in my purse. That way, chefs at restaurants can handle it without it coming back to me covered with food. An additional hint: if you are allergic to a nut that comes in various forms (butter, oil, whole nut) people seem to “get” it easier if you just list it as “peanut” rather than “peanuts” which tends to limit their thinking to whole nuts. A few years ago I showed my laminated card to my allergist, and he asked to copy it to show other patients. As for friends, I just email them the list, and point out that I usually am able to find something I can eat so they don’t have to change a menu just for me (and I offer to bring a dish so I’m sure there is something to keep me from eating things that may make me ill later). Since I am allergic to potatoes and squashes, I make a point that sweet potatoes and pumpkin are allowed. Sometimes people need a hint ;-) I usually find that servers and chefs ask if things not on my list are okay–they tend to think my being allergic to one nut means I cannot eat other nuts, but that’s okay. I simply answer: “if it’s not on this list, I can eat it!” But the most important hint of all is to eat at restaurants that generally tend to use products I can eat: I avoid Thai restaurants since peanut is such an integral part of the cuisine. When we go to France, I print my list on both sides of a small piece of paper with one side in English and the other in French. I don’t depend on Google Translate, I have a friend who teaches French. Leanne, thank you for your blog. I love it!

Thanks for the tips, Sue! I used to carry around diet cards with me when I was little as a way to communicate my peanut allergy but I’d completely forgotten about it. Sucks about the Thai food, I’m in the same boat… although there is a Thai place here in Calgary that does everything without peanuts, which is a really nice treat. Thanks again :)

Megan

What a great idea! I get tired of listing them off…sometimes I forget one…I have a lot that are new this year. I also have to explain which ones will require an ambulance and which ones will just make my nose stuffed up. The card is genius!

Melissa

Made these yesterday afternoon and they were fabulous! My whole family liked them! I have used and appreciate your recipes so much because we have multiple allergies…. makes us feel a bit normal again. :-)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner

Oh my gosh, this recipe is INCREDIBLE!!! <3 <3 <3

Stephanie

Delicious Leanne. I whacked cacao nibs on the top which worked really well. I actually left the xylitol and stevia out and used organic apple juice concentrate inplace of the rice syrup. Worked a treat:))

Wow, that’s awesome! Thank you for letting everyone know of the substitutions you used. I never would have thought of using apple juice concentrate. Was it the powder or liquid?

Stephanie

Liquid. The brand I use is Melrose which is an Aussie company but I’m sure you would have something there:)

Thank you, Stephanie. I’ll grab some today when I’m grocery shopping.

Melissa

Hi Stephanie- please can you tell me how much apple juice concentrate you used to replace stevia and xylitol? thanks muchly Melissa

Stephanie

Melissa I just replaced the honey/ rice syrup/ date syrup component with the apple concentrate and omitted the xylitol and stevia. Mine dont rise as high as Leannes’s did in the picture but the taste just great. I sprinkle cacao nibs on the top.

RE

What if I don’t care to use
1/4 cup xylitol
10 drops stevia concentrate

…. hmm… can I use coconut sugar for the xylitol and honey for the stevia???

Darn … I can’t wait an hour for date puree!!! LOL.

My son and I are gluten free, wheat free, dairy free and egg free … so far.

I’m excited to have brownies! LOL.

I’m sure you could use coconut sugar. I’ve never tried it, but the recipe seemed pretty forgiving if that helps! If you do give it a try, I’d love to hear if it works for you.

euno

Can I make a bunch and freeze them? Would they still taste good?

I froze mine and didn’t have any issues at all. Enjoy!

Julie

Printed this recipe months ago but just made it last night. It is so good that I took the time out of my busy schedule to come back and post a comment! I finally found the perfect brownie! Thanks!
I did use coconut sugar in place of the xylitol and used peanut butter / tahini combo in place of the sunflower butter. Turned out fantastic.

Julie

One more thing – omitted the chocolate chips on top – that would have been TOO much sugar and chocolate. They are perfect without.

Glad to know they taste good without the chips… I just couldn’t resist ;) As for the coconut sugar, I’m happy that you told me that. I was planning to make these brownies on the weekend and realized I don’t have any xylitol. You took the guess work out of it for me, thanks!

Chloe

These turned out so well! However, mine don’t look like the pictures… They’re more cakey/gooey and tend to crumble instead of keep their shape like the pictures. I followed the recipe exactly though! Maybe I did something wrong? Other than the shape, the taste is excellent! The sunflower seed taste is a bit stronger than the chocolate taste of a normal brownie, but still great :)

I’m glad that you liked the recipe, Chloe! I made two batches of the brownies, one that was cooked longer than the other. I took pictures of the one that was cooked longer as they turned out to be lighter and easier to take pictures of. Same recipe, just cooked for a much longer period. But the one recipe I posted on the blog was for the shorter cooked one that was WAY more fudgey and awesome however mine weren’t crumbly. It could be the consistency of the sunflower butter that contributed to the crumble. But hey, if you enjoyed them, that’s all that matters!

ESter

I really want to make this :) I have a question: can Tahini (sesame) butter or coconut butter substitute Sunflower butter? I have peanut butter but I worry that the taste will be too strong. THanks Leanne!

Hi Ester – I’ve been told that peanut butter works really well with this, almond butter too. But haven’t heard about tahini. I could see it working though! More than coconut butter because it’s a bit too liquidy. I’d love to know what you decide on and how it works out for you!

Ba

Oh myyyyy….these look fabulous! Thanks, Leanne and others who have posted alternatives for things that aren’t readily available in Australia (or I have an intolerance to!). I’ve been struggling with 35 intolerances for the past couple of years, which was reduced to 22 on my last round of tests in January. Unfortunately, the latest round cut out eggs and dairy, which meant my beloved milk chocolate habit had to go….AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!! I’ve been struggling to find something to satisfy my sweet tooth and so far raspberry jelly (jello) has been it but these could just fit the bill (I’ll just leave off the chocolate chips on top).
May I also say how nice it is to be amongst people who ‘get’ allergies and understand that (for example)a wheat intolerance does NOT necessarily mean gluten free is the answer!! Everyone is different but in my case, gluten free is actually more likely to make me very ill for days! I know they mean well but there’s only so many times you can say to the same person “thank you so much for thinking of me but gluten isn’t the problem” before it gets old! I love that you give alternatives to cater to everyone, Leanne…thank you! You’ve made me a much more intelligent and adventurous cook. :-)

Intelligent cooking, hooray! I’m so happy that you’re enjoying my recipes. Thank you for your lovely message :)

Penny

We don’t use xylitol or stevia concentrate, just honey, maple syrup and date syrup. How would you recommend I sweeten these?

Thanks!

Penny

Just read the comments, feel free to delete my question! Sorry!

Hi Penny – I would replace the banana with date syrup and include the 2 tablespoons of date syrup, too. Then omit the xylitol. I haven’t tested this, but that’s how I would approach it!

Dawn

I made this today and am wondering if it turned out the right way. My ‘batter’ wasn’t a typical smooth brownie batter that I could pour, it was more like a cookie dough. Is this the way it should be? I used date puree, almond butter and left out the stevia. It turned out great anyway. Chewy and fudgey. I’m just confused by the consistency of the batter. I also wanted to know if it is necessary to use frozen bananas instead of fresh bananas?

Thank you for all your recipes! Just got your ebook and I’m enjoying every one of them.

Hi Dawn – the batter was thick, if I remember correctly. As for the bananas, I like the frozen and defrosted ones because they’re a lot sweeter and mushier. Great for baking! So so happy that you’re enjoying my book!

Marlene

These look amazing. Is there something I can use instead of the chia seed mixture?

Daniela

Hi what you can sub. for
coco powder?