Coconut Almond Bark (no sugar added)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on December 13, 2011

I wish I would have come up with this recipe sooner.

Like 3 years sooner.

If you like coconut, you’re going to LOVE this bark.

If you don’t like coconut, I suggest you make a batch of chai spice roasted almonds and forget this post ever existed.

Sure, you could make these for people as a nice Christmas present. Wrap them up in a nice box and wow your friends…

Or you could make it for yourself and snack on it for the next 16 days!

I went for the latter of the two, obviously.

But I took a picture of the bark in a nice box just so you could see what a nice gift it could be.

Pretty, no?

Prettier in my belly if you ask me! I kid, I kid.

But not really.

This bark makes for a great filling evening snack that will satisfy the sweetest tooth you got… naturally.

[print_this]

Sugar-free Coconut Almond Bark

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

Go primal this Christmas with a hearty bark made with simple, sugar-free, whole food ingredients.

Yield: 9×13 giant mass of coconut bark

Servings: 16

• 1.5 cup coconut butter
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil + 2 tsp for toasting
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of whole pecans, toasted
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
  • pinch Himalayan rock salt
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

1. Line a 9×13 cookie pan with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a cast iron pan on medium heat. Add almond slivers and pecans. Reduce heat to medium-low and toast for 2-3 minutes, rotating frequently (about every 20 seconds) to prevent from burning. Remove from heat and sprinkle with Himalayan rock salt. Set aside.
  3. Melt the coconut butter with coconut oil in a double broiler or in a large metal bowl over top a saucepan filled with water to touch the bottom of the bowl.
  4. Add extracts, roasted pecans and almonds. Mix well.
  5. Drop onto prepared cookie sheet and spread the mixture into a thin layer.
  6. Press the shredded coconut onto the top.
  7. Place the cookie sheet in the fridge for 15 minutes or so. Remove and break into random pieces.

You could add cacao nibs or goji berries for a festive touch!

View nutrition facts

[/print_this]

How does a sugar-free bark satisfy your sweet cravings, you ask? Well, the #1 way to permanently satisfy your sweet cravings is to opt for foods high in fat and protein; something that this lovely bark has lots of!

When you have a sugary treat (think high fructose corn syrup, white sugar, cane sugar), your blood sugar goes up, then down, followed by another craving for sugars to elevate it again. It’s a viscous cycle.

You can successfully stop the craving with a whole food like nuts. They are high in protein, fats, and have a limited amount of carbohydrates. The carbs will satisfy your sweet tooth but wont boost your blood sugar, and the protein and fats will keep you fuller, longer.

2 hours later and you’ll be happy you enjoyed a healthy treat; and even happier that you’re not heading for seconds of the high sugary food you would have had.

It’s a win, win, really!

How do you satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthy way?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

Are you for real? This looks awesome!!

This bark looks awesome! I just posted my bark today. I didn’t call it that…but it’s similar.

Yours looks so white and beautiful and perfect. Love the shredded coconut on top, too!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous

Those look great! I will make that and gift it to myself! :)

Good thinking, Rebecca!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living

I LOVE this idea, Leanne! I never would have thought to use coconut butter to make bark… but I’m glad you did because I can only imagine how delicious it is. Definitely a must-make.

This is one of the coolest ideas I’ve seen yet! I bet you could even add cacao and make them chocolate! :)

That’s an awesome idea, Laura! Maybe add a bit of dried fruit to the mix to help with the sweetness!

I have a recipe just like this! And it is soooo good. Only your pictures are 10x better than mine!

Oooh very pretty! I’m definitely not a coconut gal but I’ll just sit back with my chai spiced almonds and ogle your gorgeous photos! Fruit is my go-to for satisfying sweet cravings. Over time, I’ve learned that really sugary things like ice cream and cakes will put me straight to sleep!

katie @KatieDid

Love the look of this, I adore naturally sugar free baked goods too. Last night I made a crustless pumpkin pie (a pumpkin mousse if you will) with coconut milk, pumpkin, eggs, spices, and a bit of stevia. I was dying for a hint of sweetness without wanting to be left sick or too full to go to bed and it was just right!

That sounds delicious, Katie!

Faith @ For the Health of It

I love sugar free goodies (but not the “made with splenda” kind), so I’ll definitely whip this up as a healthier treat for Christmas! I had so many sugary things over Thanksgiving that I’m still having a hard time wanting sweets, so this sounds right up my alley for something not too sugary.

Rebecca

This looks like a fantastic healthy treat! I do have a question though… I can’t find pecans in my area that are not manufactured with gluten, do you think I use all almonds or substitute in cashews instead of using the pecans? Thanks!

Sure thing – macadamia nuts, walnuts, extra almond slivers, or cashews would work. I’d break up the cashews a bit to make it easier to break. I think any nut would do the trick!

Cheryl

This recipe looks great! Festive enough that I’m adding it to my list of “To Bake” for the holidays. Thanks. :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com

I LOVE Coconut, so I’m going to LOVE this recipe!!!! WOOO HOOO!!! Thank you dollface :)

xxoo

You are so brilliant Leanee, so brilliant. Triple coconut? Yes please :)

I totally should have put the word triple in the title. Next time, next time.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan

Omg, total coconut heaven. Swoon.

Robyn

That sounds so good! I am definitely going to try this!

Nadine

I am actually afraid to make these because they sound soooo good. I would immediately eat the entire baking sheet and no one else would even know they existed because all the evidence would be gone!

I thought that too… but they’re pretty rich. I could only polish off 2 in one sitting… if that makes you feel more confident in making them for yourself!

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Yummmm, I love coconut. This looks perfect, it looks so yummy and pretty but super good for you! What more could anyone ask for? :D

Alyssa Monique (PayFitnessForward)

Leanne as a fitness competitor I started to eliminate certain food items from my diet to stay lean but then I actually started to understand my body with your food log that dairy and grains actually didnt do me well so I want you to know I LOVE that your recipes are very Paleo friends I follow a Paleo diet 95% of the time and use grains/dairy as treats maybe once a week, thank you! xoxo

I’m SO happy to hear the template is going well for you, and that you’ve learned so much about yourself in such a short time :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

My sweet tooth normally goes for apples or nut butters. This time of year, I allow for the occasional splurge and I’m ok with that. This looks like a perfect treat though!

Have you noticed a difference in your muscle tone since focusing on protein? I actually feel stronger and it’s kind of freaking me out…in a good way. I also have more energy. Like a lot of energy. My kids told me to chill out the other day due to how much excited energy I had. I’m loving it!

haha your comment made me laugh-out-loud! YES so much energy. I got home from crossfit last night and I was vibrating… My muscle definition is insane and I feel strong. These are all products of being on the right eating style for your body! Sounds like you’re on the right track ;)

Nellie

Hi Leanne,

this is a great recipe, I would like to try it but I don’t have access to coconut butter. What is the difference between coconut butter and coconut oil? Have you found any good Canadian online sources for almond flour? I am going paleo and love to bake. I can only find Bob’s red mill Almond flour in my local grocery stores.

thanks I love your blog, I am looking forward to making some holiday treats,

Nellie

Hi Nellie – have you considered purchasing the coconut butter online? Here’s a link to the product I buy (a Canadian store) http://www.upayanaturals.com/Coconut_Butter_raw_organic_whole_ground_coconut_p/art-002.htm they have them in LARGE containers too. The more you buy, the cheaper it is, of course. If you don’t want to go that route, you can make your own. Similar to what I did with this recipe, just don’t add the almond butter: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6005603 the butter is coconut mashed up, and the oil is just the oil from the coconut. Using coconut oil in this recipe may work, but it would be VERY greasy and may require a bunch more nuts. You could probably add 4 cups or so of shredded coconut to the almonds + pecans and try it with oil. I use Bob’s Red Mill almond flour for my baked goods and they always turn out perfect (there are some out there that say that it doesn’t work, but I’ve never had an issue) you can also get it here: http://www.jkgourmet.ca/ sorry for the long response! Hope that helps :)

Dayanna

I must make this – like right now! Looks so tasty! Coconut butter is different the coconut oil, yeah?

Yes, coconut butter is like almond butter, mashed up coconut. Would love to know what you think of it when you give it a whirl!

Camillia

This looks totally delicious… and all for me because dh is not a fan of coconut ;)

In step 2 of your directions… perhaps you mean turning every 20 seconds rather than every 20 minutes?

Good catch! Thanks :)

luciana

Love this recipe! These bark look absolutely delicious!

Anna

I adore cococnut! Coconut flavor has always been exotically unique for my taste buds. Makes me crave for more everytime I taste it…
Love that this is sugar free too. It’ll allow me to indulge, really indulge ;)
Thanks for sharing!

Terra

Oh wow, so simple, yet so full of delicious happiness!! I think they look fantastic:-) I love finding new recipes that use coconut butter:-) Hugs, Terra

Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss

That looks fantastic. And because it’s sugar-free, it’s low-carb enough that I have to make myself a batch … just as soon as I can get to the store for the ingredients. (We’re in the midst of a snowstorm, so it’s going to have to wait a few days.) Thanks for the recipe.

Baker Street

Oh my! These look absolutely fantastic! Love coconut and almonds paired together!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.

love this one. I am putting this on my Facebook fan page today

Aidy

This looks absolutely amazing! I adore this time of year when all of the holiday recipes are posted! Almond bark has to be one of my most favorite treats of the season!

LizAshlee

Wow, what a great idea…these treats look fabulous!

Nora @ natural noshing

Gorgeous bark, I’ve been thinking I wanted to make a healthy whit chocolate bark!!!! It’s looks like Christmas!
I must give this a whirl, I too will make this for a snack instead of gifts…coconut butter can get pricey since you need so much coconut to make the butter, and most of my friends and family would probably prefer the sugar laden version :)

Amanda

Such good pictures but what is even better is this recipe!! It looks pretty and I love coconut so it is an easy sale for me, Thanks for sharing!!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty

Looks awesome!!

My favorite lately is dried organic figs dipped in chocolate and then dipped in favorite nuts!! So tasty!

Charlotte

Oh, these? Are going in my belly. Goodness, they look delightful.

Robyn

Just made this tonight – it’s amazing! Thank you for introducing me to coconut butter. My life will never be the same.

I’m so happy you liked it, Robyn!

Brittany

I want to make this so bad. It looks delish!!!

Deanna

Wow! Just catching up on my blog reading and saw this. LOVE this idea. I’m not eating any sugar at all, but I can taste how “sweet” this will taste even without sugar or stevia or anything. Thanks!

Mandy

I just noticed, on the recipe for this but on the recipage, where you say to toast the nuts in the pan, it says “rotating frequently every 20 minutes” instead of seconds. someone might have some realllly crispy nuts :)

Thanks for pointing that out, Mandy! Updating it now :)

Lisa

Wow these look delicious! I’m attempting to clean up my diet with low/no sugar, grain free and low carb and was looking for a good coconut bark recipe. All I need is coconut butter for this recipe. Where did you find yours?

Thanks, Lisa! I buy my from upaya naturals (an online store) you can also get it on amazon and in any health food store. Hope that helps!

Timmy

You ever consider using pickling salt. It’s low in iron and isn’t possibly commentated with bad stuff like sea salt.

I haven’t looked into that, Timmy. I consume such a small amount that it isn’t one of my main health concerns.

Jennifer @ The Unrefined Kitchen

Thanks for the great recipe! I just linked to it and included my own variation!! This stuff is amazing!!

Joanne

OMG this stuff is amazing! I wanted to eat the WHOLE BATCH! I made coconut butter in my food processor, as it is difficult to come by. It’s an extra step, but very worthwhile!! My only complaint is that it is a little bit greasy. I might decrease the amount of coconut oil next time, and/or dry-roast the nuts. Thanks for the recipe. :D