Chai Spice Roasted Almonds with Homemade Chai Spice Mix

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on December 12, 2011

I can’t seem to eat enough almonds lately.

Crushed, roasted, raw, butter, it doesn’t matter. I’ll take it all.

Maybe it’s the manganese, vitamin E, magnesium, calcium, iron, or plant based protein that my body is so attracted to.

Whatever the case, I’ve been trying to get my paws on as much of it as possible.

Quick tip – if you’re eating as many nuts as I have been, or your have a compromised digestive system, it’s always a good idea to soak them for at least 12 hours before enjoying. This will make the flesh easier to breakdown and wont lead to digestive upsets.

Kevin had asked me to make him a chai latte with 1 minute vanilla whip a couple of days ago. The combination of these two recipes was a fantastic idea! After the concentrate was done and his drink poured, I sat snacking on a jar of almond butter while he shaved off the vanilla whipped topping layer by layer.

Gosh, that man takes a long time to eat things.

It wasn’t long before he asked me if I wanted a sip. Or, was it that I just sneaked in a couple of sips when he wasn’t looking? Minor detail if you ask me. ;)

After my sips I took in another almond butter spoonful.

Chai + almonds.

How delicious?!

Any guesses on what I did next?

[print_this]

Chai Spice Roasted Almonds

Vegan [option], Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

Are you in love with chai as much as we are? Why just stop at the drink? Make these tasty roasted nuts that are soaked overnight to soften the affects on your digestion. Your tummy and taste buds will be smiling with joy!

Adapted from My Kitchen Addiction

Yield: 1.5 cup

Servings: 6

• 1.5 cups whole almonds, soaked for 12 hours *see note
  • 2 tbsp egg white
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup palm sugar
  • 2 tsp chai spice mix (below)
  • Pinch Himalayan rock salt

1. Preheat the oven to 300F.  Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper and set aside.
  2. If soaking the nuts, drain and rinse and allow to drip dry in a colander.
  3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg white and vanilla extract until frothy, about 30 seconds.
  4. Add the almonds to the whisked egg mixture and stir to evenly coat all of the almonds.
  5. Add the palm sugar, chai spice mix and a pinch of salt. Toss until all of the almonds are covered.
  6. Spread out on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, rotating twice.
  7. Remove from the oven and spread the almonds out on waxed paper or parchment paper to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.

note: soaking the nuts is completely optional. I did it so that they were easier to digest. They will get sticky after a couple of days in the fridge just because they have more moisture than a dry nut would. They’re just as good sticky, but may not be your preference.

note: to make vegan, replace egg whites with 1 tbsp liquid sweetener like maple syrup, or 1 tbsp apple sauce.

View nutrition facts

[/print_this]

[print_this]

Homemade Chai Spice Mix

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

Throw a little chai in everything from pancakes, waffles, and muffins to roasted nuts!

• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp ground cloves
  • 2 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
  • pinch Himalayan rock salt

1. Combine all ingredients in an air-tight container. Shake and use as a replacement for cinnamon and other spices in your favorite baked goods.

[/print_this]

You could throw 10-15 almonds in little treat bags and you have a nice take home present for your guests this holiday season. Last year, I did something similar and placed a little bag on each place setting. It was a nice way to warm up the table and give away a little gift to everyone.

Since making the spice mix, I’ve added it to smoothies, as a sprinkle on almond butter, and in Kevin’s waffles on Sunday morning. This stuff is sure to become a one of our Winter staples. It’s so easy to put together, tastes and smells exactly like chai!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of winter and everything Christmas, the Winter issue of Calgary Herald HERS magazine was just published with an article contributed by yours truly, along with one of my favorite winter themed recipes, maple protein pancakes!

You can check out the article by clicking on the image to learn what foods are best to consume to keep you and your family healthy during the Winter.

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

Congrats on the magazine article!! That is fabulous!
Your recipes are definitely magazine-worthy (and cookbook-worthy) =)
Can wait to try this chai spice mix!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau

These look positively addictive! I would love to sprinkle these on a salad, too.

Mmm they would be great as a salad topper!

Amanda

Congrats on the feature in the magazine! Those almonds look great, I love chai spiced anything!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction

I’m so glad you enjoyed the almonds! I can’t wait to give them another try with your homemade chai spice mix. I always give them as Christmas gifts!

PS – Congratulations on your magazine article! I’m glad I discovered your site!

Thanks for the inspiration, Jen! They would make perfect Christmas gifts. If I hadn’t have eaten them all already I would have probably done that :P

chai spice has been a fave of mine lately

as have roasted almonds…so these are winners for me!

AND congrats on the mag article and feature. You go gir!

You started the roasted nut trend at our house! Never got to tell you how much we loved the rosemary chipotle almonds. Thanks again for a great recipe :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com

Hey Doll!!! Oh my goodness….these look FAB!!! Way to come up with amazing ideas, girl!! I love your spin on healthy foods :)

TASTY!!

xxoo

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather

Oh how exciting, congrats on being in the magazine!! And I too am a chai lover. These almonds look perfecto!!

Lisa

Congrats on the article!
The almonds look SO good—love the flavor combination of these :)

katie @KatieDid

Loving almonds lately too, and chai is such a great flavor during the winter. I can do without those sugary chai lattes, but chai spice is amazing.

Julia

Yum! almonds and chai, AND a chai spice mix. This is like a triple whammy bonus recipe! Love it!

Congrats on being published in the magazine!!! That’s awesome!

I have a slow eater in the family, too. My sister. She drives me crazy eating so slow!!! ugh.

Thanks Alex! I’m so happy to hear that the slow eating drives you bonkers, too. My gosh, sometimes I just want to eat the food for him so it’d be over and done with!

That’s awesome about the magazine article, and it was definately a good choice for a recipe! I have used that glazed apple recipe a couple of times now and love it! Congratulations!

What does chai taste like? Am I the only one who has never tried that flavor? Haha

& I’m the slow eater around here… I think it might bother my boyfriend sometimes, but he just inhales his food so darn fast :)

Thanks Andrea :) Hmm chai is… I’ve never been asked to explain it. It’s a warm taste – blended with cinnamon, pepper, and ginger. It’s so lovely and cuddly!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

Congratulations on the article! We love roasted nuts here and these sound amazing! Love the chai spice you added!

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons

omg SWOON x1000001! I need to buy more almonds!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

These look so amazing, what a great idea. I have been trying to figure out all the things I could do with egg nog spices and flavors… hmm maybe some “nog nuts” are in order over here :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Nog nuts… brilliant!

Cheryl

I love the background you chose for this recipe! I am not big on Chai but I would give them a shot maybe as a gift after seeing how pretty they come out!

Also, congrats on the recipe! It always feels good to see your name on something SHINY!

Thanks Cheryl! It’s a roll of wrapping paper I picked up last year when all the sales were going on :) It’s been sitting patiently waiting for Christmas to roll around. Chai almonds would make a perfect gift!

Cara

You are famous!!!! Woo-hoo! Seriously though, a big super congrats to you is in order–how exciting is that? So happy for you.

Thanks Cara :) It is SO exciting… just waiting for the copy so I can hang it in my office hehe

Nicki

Made the chai spice and its delightful! Thanks for this, we will be using it forever!

Gluty

Hi Leanne!
I adore you recipes! You’re so inspiring! :) I read your motivation about the way you eat and I completely share your motivation!
I wanted to ask you, in this recipe may I obmit spices – as I can’t eat spicy :( – and sobstitute sugar with honey? Do you know if honey will give a crispy texture as well?
Thanks Leanne! Godd Job! ;)

Well thank you! I’ve roasted almonds with honey and it’s worked well… just make sure you use parchment paper. Ground cinnamon would be great!

Gluty

That’s great! Then I’ll be using honey ;)
Unfortunately I can’t even eat cinnamon (sigh)
Thanks Leanne :)

Penny

I used the chai spice in muffins tonight, and it was fantastic! Thank you!
P.S. You are one of the sweetest, most helpful and most inspiring bloggers out there! I love coming here :)

Melissa

Hi. Just came across your blog and am so excited to start using some of your recipes. I would love to try this one first cause the combination of almonds and chai …oh my! I am in love with chai.

How long does this recipe stay fresh for? And do I keep it stored in the refrigerator?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge & recipes.
Melissa

Hi Melissa! Great to hear from you :) You can store in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. Or freeze for 2 months. Enjoy!

breana

I made the mistake of only making a half-recipe of this because I wasn’t sure if I’d like them…oh yeah do I ever. Yum. I had extra seasoning so I added more almonds to use it up. I did leave the coriander out of the spice mix because I don’t like the smell, and had to use black pepper instead of white. Really good and pretty simple. Had to divvy them up into single serve packets because I’m pretty sure I could eat about 4 servings without realizing it.

Excellent recipe!

John From Raleigh

Just now finding out about soaking almonds. I tried eating the soaked ones plain but didn’t like the texture and sought out a recipe. Love the recipe but I still feel like the almonds are filled with air and sometimes if feels like the almonds have started to sprout in the middle. Is this part of the normal process of presoaking nuts? I only soaked for 12 hours.

Thanks …