Frozen “Boo”nana Pops (no sugar added)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on October 26, 2011

It’s rare that I come across a recipe that I want to make SO badly that I literally run down to the kitchen to prepare it on the spot.

The last time it happened was when I’d found Averie’s Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes. Just a couple of substitutions and it quickly morphed into what is now one of my favorite recipes on the blog, 5 minute quinoa flake bakes!

That reminds me, I haven’t made them in a long time.

But I digress.

Today isn’t about quinoa, it’s about ghosts. Healthy, sugar-free, 3 ingredient frozen “boo”nana ghosts to be exact.

When Gina from Skinny Taste posted this recipe a couple of days ago, I knew I HAD to make it before I’d even looked at the ingredients. Her version called for melted white chocolate.

White chocolate you say?

Hmm…

This is the part where the allergy-free wheels start turning.

Inner dialogue ensues and I’m lost in an ingredient battle of ‘how about this, no that, that won’t work, oh but this will’, conversation with myself.

Call me crazy, it’s okay.

I quickly landed on coconut butter as a replacement for the white chocolate. It hardens when cold, would make the ghosts as white as can be, and is sugar-free.

Then I moved on to the eyes. The original recipe called for chocolate chips, but we don’t like to keep them in the house too often. I’d like to say I have self control when it comes to snacking, but chocolate chips are a whole other ball game. I’m weak when faced with a bag of mini chocolate morsels of heavenly goodness.

‘Common, you are too, right?

Okay, so the eyes… carob nibs, raisins, chia seeds, flax seeds, they were all fair contenders, but I decided on dried currants.

Really, regardless of the eyes you choose, these little ghosts are delicious!

[print_this]

Sugar-free Frozen “Boo”nana Pops

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Playful frozen ghost pops made with banana, coconut butter, and dried currants!

Adapted from: Skinny Taste Frozen “Boo”-nana Pops

Yield: 4 pops

Servings: 4

• 1/3 cup coconut butter, melted (yields about 1/4 cup melted coconut butter)
  • 8 dried currants
  • 1 large banana (approximately 8″ long)

1. Cut banana in half lengthwise, then in half to make four quarters.
  2. Insert a popsicle stick in each quarter and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
  3. Place the baking sheet in the freezer until the banana is frozen – this took about an hour or so.
  4. When you’re ready to top the ghosts, place coconut butter in a microwave safe mug and microwave for 1 minute on power level 5. Stir every 20 seconds to make sure it doesn’t burn. Alternatively, place the coconut butter in a mason jar and allow to sit in a bath of boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
  5. Scoop about half a tablespoon of coconut butter on your finger and spread over the top of the banana, don’t worry about the backside.
  6. Try to cover the banana as quick as possible! The coconut butter will set very fast. Take another half a tablespoon and spread over the remainder of the ghost. I tried spreading the coconut butter with a spoon on a couple of them and it just didn’t work out that well.
  7. Dab a bit of coconut butter on the currants and set for the eyes.
  8. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the remaining bananas before returning the baking sheet to the freezer for another 30 minutes.
  9. Enjoy!

calories: 125 | fat: 9g | carbohydrates: 12g | fiber: 4g | sugars: 6g | protein: 1g

[/print_this]

These were so fun to make, and eat!

What Halloween treats have you made this year?

Omg. They are the cutest things ever! You are so creative!

I recently, like just about 2 weeks ago, found Gina of Skinny Taste’s blog. I think maybe I saw her on FG or TS? Anyway, she’s got some great ideas.

Thanks for the shoutout about my blueberry banana oat cake and that inspired one of your fave recipes…that’s so sweet of you to say that :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

How cute are these! What a great way to get kids (and grown-ups) to eat fruit :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

SO so cute!!

My mom used to make “ghosties” with Nutter Butter cookies when I was a kid. Great healthier alternative!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

These are so cute! I’ve never had coconut butter before. I need to try that. I’ve only made pumpkin muffins, but I’ve made a lot of them!

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

What a brilliant idea Leanne!
Love these and I know my boys will too!!

OMG Leanne, I just have to tell you (before you think I’m the biggest copycat ever!) that I have a very similar recipe coming up on Monday! It’s probably the only Halloween treat that I’ve made recently that doesn’t contain pumpkin LOL! I’ve been wanting to make these ever since I saw them on Pinterest a while ago. Great minds think alike, hey? I love your addition of coconut butter – that’s genius!!

haha that seems to happen a lot! There are recipes that Angela will post (OSG) and I’ll be like DARNIT! I was just going to post that same thing! All good :) Can’t wait to see what ingredients you used :)

CUTEST THINGS EVER!!! I am making this for my little brother and sister. They will love it :D

The last time I literally ran into the kitchen to make something was actually your banana-chocolate chip-protein pancakes :D They were so good!

Yes, I remember that! I was impressed with how fast you made them :)

Cara

I smell Halloween in the air!!! yiiiiiippppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee. (one of my favorite holidays!) And I smell cuteness in the air…Leanne must be around the corner–yup there she is with her amazingly adorable boo-nana pops! Love these guys :)

haha I feel like JUMPING out from behind the corner and screaming BOO! Alas, it’s a virtual boo :)

Cara

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!! I’m easily scared :)

perrrfect! haha

Faith @ For the Health of It

Awww, those are freaking adorable! I’m not big on themey desserts but those are too precious.

Josie

Those are adorable! Guess what my kids are getting for an after-school snack?

Evan Thomas

I saw these and thought they were adorable, too. Never thought to replace the white choc. with coconut butter. Great idea!

Divya

These are so unbelievably adorable! I love the idea of using coconut butter instead of white chocolate – it’s so creative.

I actually don’t usually try recipes out on the spot, but I agree that this one is one of those recipes. It’s too easy not to try out! I actually just got introduced to the idea of frozen bananas yesterday. I made frozen banana ice-cream in my new food processor and couldn’t stop giggling. Who knew that frozen bananas were sooooo good!

Frozen banana ice cream is pretty tasty! You can do it with all sorts of frozen fruit. I did a strawberry cheesecake one a couple of months ago and it was delicious! Here’s the link if you’re interested: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/08/sugar-free-strawberry-cheesecake-blizzard/

Divya

Thanks – I’ll check it out!

stephchows

Love the idea of these! So tasty and love how you made them with no added sugar!

Jessy (squeezetheday)

These are super cute!! I think I’m gonna make for Halloween (although we don’t celebrate it here, but it’s a great excuse, right?). :D

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

These are the cutest things ever!

LizAshlee

You are brilliant..these are so creative and I bet they taste wonderful..great recipe!!!

Kristina @ spabettie

I saw these cute little ghosties recently – and I LOVE that you used coconut butter! I bet these taste awesome, and they are so very cute!

I love Halloween – my favorite this year have to be the pepper jacks… ;)

Those stuffed peppers were UNREAL. Way to go on that. I did the whole guessing game thing and couldn’t figure out what was IN the peppers! So cute. I agree with you, the coconut butter + banana is such a great combo :)

Jenna

I’ve never heard of coconut butter before. I’ll have to look for that now.

Lauren

These look adorable and so tasty!

Kathy

Cute pops! I’m not sure if I’ll be making ANY Halloween treat this year; still deciding ;]
I think I might though, because I’m following a few friends that are going trick or treating this year~

Irene @ H.V.R.

A healthy way to enjoy frozen treats! It is like eating ice cream but much more healthier! I love it!

Terra

You rock!!! I love seeing this version too, especially because I am not a chocolate lover. I am a coconut lover though:-) They look adorable! Hugs, Terra

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

How cute and creative!!! Way easier than caramel apples :)

Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan

These are ADORABLE!

Charlotte

These are SOOO adorable! I would prob use carob chips for the eyes, I think…

Carob chips, yes, that would totally work!

Jill

Yes, there are totally “pails” like that when we order Chinese to go! (Arizona)

Juliette

Where can I buy coconut butter (not online)??? I can’t find it anywhere and I’m absolutely dying to try it.

I’ve been able to find it at Planet Organic, Community Natural Foods, Whole Foods, and have been told that Trader Joes has it as well. I haven’t seen it in any ‘regular’ grocery stores… yet. Can’t wait to hear what you think of it once you’ve given it a try :)

Nadya

Another winner!!
I love that you use the phrase “sugar free” like I do – no sugared, real or fake, to be found! I used up my coconut butter :( … need to get more, & i think my granddaughters would enjoy these.

Tiye

I love all of your Halloween recipes! They are so creative! I am definitely going to recreate this one at home to soothe my current coconut butter addiction ;)