Is it weird that the entire time I was enjoying this bowl of quinoa salad I was thinking of Smokey the bear?
Only you can prevent forest fires…
Oh my gosh, blast from the past.
But this recipe isn’t about bears, or forest fires, or PSA’s from 1950, sorry to disappoint.
This recipe is about smoky dressing that pairs nicely with quinoa, beans, and is great heated up, too.
It has a smokey BBQ flavor with a slight kick at the end.
If smokey the bear could pick his favorite dressing, I think he’d choose this one.
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup unpasteurized honey or agave nectar *see note
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon onion
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free mustard
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon herbamare
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- dash of freshly ground pepper
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- 1 cup mixed beans
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ½ cucumber, diced
- 8 baby tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup curly parsley, diced
- ¼ cup smokey bear dressing
- ⅛ medium red onion, sliced
- Mix and serve!
After I finished enjoying this salad last night, Lexy, Pebbles and I went out into the backyard to let off some steam. They were running around the house like crazy. Chasing one another, barking… maybe they were jealous of my dinner?
That happens a lot around here.
After 45 minutes of fetching the ball at least 3582735982 times, I decided to take them inside and make a batch of their favorite snack, Cinnibone Dog Treats.
There was no running around after that! I even got some shots of Lexy staying still! She never, ever does that for me.