Post Workout Creamsicles

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on August 11, 2011

Do you ever get a waft of a familiar smell and get sent right back to the moment you were introduced to that scent for the first time?

If you haven’t, please don’t think I’m weird. I swear that there are people in the world whose memories are triggered by scent. And I just happen to be one of them.

Anyways… that’s exactly what happened to me during my long run this past weekend.

There was a kid on a park bench with his mom enjoying every last drop of his creamsicle as I went running by.

I was presented with a flash of my Dad taking me to the local candy shop. for a report card treat. The first thought that came to me was “I wonder if they have a second creamsicle stashed away somewhere?”

Second thought, “hmm… too much dairy, wouldn’t be able to finish this run.”

Third thought; and the best out of them all, “I bet I could make a sugar-free, vegan, gluten-free, electrolyte loaded, protein carrying, super awesome post workout popsicle for snack when I get home.”

And that’s exactly what I did.

Thank goodness for the instant popsicle maker that we received as a gift earlier this year. I’ve always thought it was useless until now [sorry Maranda <3].

[print_this]

Post Workout Creamsicles

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

The sugar-free, vegan, gluten-free, electrolyte loaded, protein carrying, super awesome post workout popsicle.

Yield: 2 cups of mix, approximately 6 creamsicles depending on the size of your popsicle mold.

• 1 cup lite coconut milk
  • 1 navel orange or 2 mandarin oranges, peeled
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1/4 cup coconut water
  • 1 serving protein powder, electrolyte mix, or both *see note
  • 2 medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp grated orange rind or 1/8 tsp orange extract
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. The mixture will be quite thick, but don’t worry it’s good like that!
  2. Drop/pour the mix into the mold and freeze overnight.

note: you could try adding an orange flavored protein powder like Vega Shake & Go or orange electrolyte powder from Ultima. I used the electrolyte powder and it was out of this world amazing!

[/print_this]

Since we’re on the topic of post workout, protein carrying super popsicles, I thought it would be a great time to chat about my newest product find, Vega shake & go smoothies.

I know they’ve been around for awhile, but I haven’t honestly needed them until now. Why? Because I like to get my food from real, live, whole foods that have been minimally processed. But with a bunch of traveling in my not so distant future, I needed to come up with some simple on-the-go meal ideas.

After a bit of planning and product comparison, I landed on Vegan shake & go smoothies and a bunch of other homemade ideas that I’ll share in a second.

The package says all you have to do is add water, shake and go, but I’ve found that’s not the best way to enjoy them. They taste very gritty when mixed with water as opposed to unsweetened almond milk.

Also, they taste far better if combined a couple hours before and allowed to soak. No grittiness = happy Leanne.

Why I like these smoothies:

• They’re fast.
  • 100 calories, or 140 if you use almond milk.
  • Boast 11 grams of protein in one serving [12g if you use 1 cup almond milk to mix]
  • 1 billion probiotic cultures [L. acidophilus, B. bifidum].
  • Although the powder is processed, it’s as close to a whole food as possible in a protein powder.
  • Not as “green” tasting as other green based powders.
  • Uses palm sugar instead of artificial sweeteners like other protein powder brands.
  • The taste is good, I just think they’re a bit too sweet. More on that below.
  • Uses a combination of pea protein and brown rice protein, contributing all 8 essential amino acids to make this mix a complete protein!
  • Doesn’t require add-ins to taste good. Who doesn’t like adding fruit to their smoothies? The answer should be no one. But, when you’re on the go with no blender in sight, these are a great alternative.
  • Can come in convenient one time use packets.

Why I don’t like them:

•  I find that they’re far too sweet. The sweetest of them all was definitely the Vanilla Almondilla. You get used to the sweetness after awhile, but they could easily cut down on it.
  • Mixing it with water doesn’t taste good, so I have to carry around almond milk with me. Kind of a pain, but I guess I can’t have it all.
  • Rather expensive. I purchased 2 boxes, a total of 24 servings each. Total with shipping was $59.90, or $2.50 per serving. Much cheaper than in stores, or comparing it to purchasing a snack at the vending machine, but pretty expensive for a protein powder.

**Vega/Sequel did not supply these products, they have no idea who I am**

If you’re cheap cost sensitive like me and will only treat yourself to these kinds of purchases every once in awhile, try packing along homemade on-the-go travel foods like:

• Pre-cooked grains like millet, rice, quinoa
  • Hard boiled eggs. If you buy them farm fresh and cook them they can sit out on the counter for a couple of days with no harm done.
  • Protein cookies
  • Quinoa flake bakes. Simplify by bringing along 4 single serve unsweetened apple sauce cups, a microwaveable safe dish, and a bag with the following [will make 4 quinoa bakes]:
    • 2 cups quinoa
    • 1/4 cup chia seeds
    • 1/4 cup raisins
    • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • Date balls
  • Minute overnight oats. Pack single serve non-dairy milk and a bag of minute oats mixed with dried fruit, seeds and spices. Combine milk with oat mixture and allow to sit for 10 minutes before enjoying.

What’s your go-to travel food companion?

Wait, do you travel with food?

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

I’m totally the same as you, scent is such a powerful way to trigger memories! Your creamsicles are making my mouth water :) I really shouldn’t be craving ice-cream at 11.30 am!

I always take food with me when I travel. Sure you’ll get some funny looks but who cares! I take almonds, my date and walnut bars (http://somethingtochewover.blog.com/date-and-walnut-oat-bars/), raisins, baggies of wholegrain cereal, popcorn…

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.

I so want to make smoothie popsicles!!! I am definitely going to be looking into your popsicle mold :)

My travel foods are oats in a bag- oats, chopped walnuts, ground flax seed. Just add hot water and hopefully find some fruit wherever I’m staying. I also take my granola bars pretty much everywhere because they are packed with protein- and just super delicious :)

I’m looking for protein powders for my honey and I…I might look into Vega, but I think the price would get me. Thanks for your honest review of the product!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather

Okay, these are cool… a protein filled creamsicle. Great idea!

Stephanie

Oh my! Those look amazing! I’m suffering from some serious instant popsicle maker envy.

Kristina @ spabettie

just another reason we’re twins – many memories are triggered by scent… I love it!! :)

I was just looking at my popsicle molds yesterday – need to make something with my farmers market berries… your creamsicles sound awesome and healthy!

Jin @ Health Ninja

those popsicles sound a-mazing!!! i’m going to try them as soon as i got my old popsicle maker from my parents which my brother and me used to fill with coke and orangejuice when we were younger :) !

haha nice! I used to make pop popsicles all the time as a kid!

Lisa @ Healthful Sense

Yes!! Always travel with food… bananas, peanut butter sandwiches or wraps, veggies, fruit, and trail mix.

Love the creamsicles!! Especially with the addition of avocado YUM!! :)

Jenny

I think my go-to travel companion would probably be… an apple?! And maybe a huge bag of carrot sticks. :) I don’t think much past the plane ride, though, since I usually can get food at my destination. (Well, I would hope so, although the opposite has definitely happened… I try not to worry about it too much.) I usually pack a sunbutter and jam sandwich (or two, if the flight/total travel time is just shy of 20 hours). Sunbutter = doesn’t affect anyone on the plane who might be allergic to nuts and/or peanuts!

I also have instances when scents trigger memories! I have an incredibly sensitive nose, and my family always teases me for it, because I tell them that they each have their own scent (they do!) and that each place we’ve ever lived in has a particular scent… I don’t have many memories that are triggered by the smell of certain foods, I have to admit. And I’ve never had a creamsicle! Only those water + sugar + food colouring (+ maybe some real fruit?!) type popsicles. Creamsicles sound perfect for summer…

I wish I could be on a flight with you! When I was on a flight to Portugal there was a lady with a peanut butter sandwich (I’m allergic). It was driving me nuts! You’re so considerate :) I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one with a sensitive nose. I too pick up on scents of my families and friends!

Irina @ Perfect Paradox World

I’m definitely one of those people whose most intense memories are always triggered by scent. BUT…there is a biological reason behind it! I remember learning (and never forgetting) that smell is the oldest sense and it is directly connected to the oldest part of the brain. *nerd alert*

I just got a popsicle mold/maker and these are next on my list!

Thank you for making my day with this fact haha too cool!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

My memory is absolutely triggered by scents! Food, perfume, flowers – it all triggers memories. :)

Tiff @ Love, Sweat and Beers

What a clever idea. I totally travel with food all.the.time! I pack a snack for a long day at the mall, a hike, or whatever else. Plus, bring breakfast and lunch to work about 95% of the time.

char @ char on a mission

It is hard to eat and travel, and I’ve never tried Vega before, but have looked at them in passing in the grocery store. I love your comment that the brand has no idea who you are, you’re a funny girl!

Andrea @ Vegvacious

I love creamsicles – I can’t wait to try this recipe out — if only I had one of those 6 minute popsicle makers!!!!
My go to travel food is nut butter smeared on a brown rice cake. So good!

Tes

My whole family love creamsicle :D I need to try this recipe :D

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan

Those popsicles look impossibly creamy and delicious!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

These are perfect for the hot weather, they look amazing

They look so good! I haven’t even thought about orange creamsicles in ages…but they used to be my absolute favorite!!!

I know it kind of defeats the whole point of “protein pops,” but the texture ad thickness would be fine without the protein powder, right?

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty

I really like shake and go. I think they changed up the recipe a bit though, because my last bag or 2 hasn’t been so tasty – they almost have a bitter after – taste… I shall try again though!
These creamsicles look fantastic too!

Clarkie @ Beloved Green

See, this is exactly what I need after a good workout. If this was the reward, I might find myself in the gym more often.

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Oooh I loved creamsicles as a kid! These look so yummy :D And I totally get the smell memory connection, I get that all the time. I think I pack food to travel very similar to you although I’m usually just away for the day and grains and things like that don’t work with kids in the car so we usually pack lots of fresh fruit, things like popcorn, homemade crackers, and things similar to your date balls. Hard boiled eggs sound perfect though I’ve got to try that next time.

Meghanne

I am actually a big fan of the shake and go smoothies but I agree, they aren’t the best when mixed with water. I use the choc-a- lot mixed with almond mil or water and quinoa or puffed rice as a healthy higher protien cereal. It’s like cocopuffs. Makes me feel like a kid again

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

I was definitely more of a fudgesicle girl, but these look delish!
Thanks for the travel tips, I’m away this weekend and I was trying to think about what to bring along!

Faith @ forthehealth

Confession: I’ve never had a creamsicle.
Second confession: After seeing this, I feel like I’ve wasted 23 years of my life sans creamy orangey goodness!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit

Loving the look of these! I never knew there was such a thing as a instant popsicle maker :)

Lee

I want to buy a popsicle mold just so I can make these.

Elies_Lie

Lovely treat!
Loves how the mandaring orange blen with the coconut and even the dates!
Nice combination! ;)

Kelly

These have got to be the cutest little creamsicles I’ve ever seen! So healthy and super delicious, love it!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

Your popsicles are perfect! Can’t believe you have a maker for them – so cool! And I am with you on scent triggering memories!

haha we’re pretty serious about our popsicles around here :P

Kate@Diethood

I associate a lot of scents/smells with the past…you are not alone! :) The creamsicles look amazing… I have yet to buy popsicle molds…I’ve always used Dixie cups. :)

Laura

Smells are strongly incorporated with memory processing. It’s not just you; you’re not weird. Also your popscicles look delicious!

Lori @ Laurel of Leaves

What a great idea to have protein popsicles ready for a post-run-in-the-hot-summer-sun! Orange Creamsicles have always been some of my favorite.