Healthified Supreme Chunky Monkey Ice Cream

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 24, 2011

For those of you who guessed chunky monkey ice cream, you were bang on! Although you did cheat and look at the title of the picture.

Fail on my part for not editing that. It was early and I was consumed by chocolate chunks and walnuts.

Can you blame me for being sucked in by the power of this dairy-free recipes?

Ya, I didn’t think so.

[print_this]

Healthified Supreme Chunky Monkey Ice Cream

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

This 5 ingredient chunky monkey ice cream couldn’t be easier to prepare.

Lightly adapted from Smithfield

Yield: 2 servings

• 5 bananas, peeled, sliced and frozen
  • 2 tbsp nut butter – I used raw almond butter
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup raw walnuts
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chunks or chips – I used mini silicon muffin tins as the mold

1. Place frozen bananas, almond butter, and coconut in your food processor. Pulse until a large mass develops. If the banana isn’t binding, try adding 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk or allowing the bowl to sit for 1 minute or so to defrost slightly.
  2. Drop ball of soft serve into a large bowl and mix in walnuts and chocolate chunks.
  3. Serve immediately

You could try adding cacao powder and a pinch of stevia to the banana mixture for a fudge version!

[/print_this]

I may or may not have placed 3 bananas in the freezer before bed last night with absolutely no intention to make another batch today.

I’m a horrible liar.

I’m also horrible at getting my butt in gear on Sunday mornings.

This office chair feels so nice and my green tea is so warm. But, I must do my 16km run this morning.

Once I get going it’s not that bad. It’s that initial boost of motivation; to put the tea down, get the running gear on, and head out the door, that’s the hard part.

What do I do when I’m not motivated?

Look at this banner:

oh-my-gosh… less than a month until my race.

And BOOM just like that, I’m ready to rock.

Enjoy your day!

Oh the chunky monkey looks stellar! It did in the last post and thanks for the recipe now. Yum!

I could go to TOWN on that. My kinda “ice cream”, i.e.. the banana version :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

Yum! I’ve been making banana soft serve every night since it’s so hot here. Only fruit though, this looks amazing!

Teehee…I guess I did cheat…a little :D

But it looks divine!!! Gosh, and easy, too! YUMMMMMM!

Yolanda

Makes me wish that I had brought my food processor with me on vacation! :-)

I have my bananas frozen at home waiting on me, so perhaps this will be a treat on Monday evening as we leave the 70-80 degree days for 100 plus once again.

I think I’ll get my running clothes on and get my booty out of here! :-)

Ragnhild

aj aj, These both looks and sounds amazing!! I would make them right away, if only my blender was a little more hardcore! Once I get a food processor I will make these though! Banana soft serve is just the best idea ever!
Enjoy your run :)

Alex @ Working Housewife

Holy yum!!!! This looks amazing! I am putting bananas in my freezer as we speak!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

These look gorgeous Leanne! Can’t wait to try them:)

Bananas are on my grocery list today! I actually can’t believe I ran out between constantly buying fresh and my crazy freezer supply. :)

Katy @ notjustacarnivore

This ice cream looks amazing and so easy! My fiance has a big thing for ice cream, eating it almost every night. I have three bananas that are about to get too ripe; I think I might throw them in the freezer with the two that are already there and try making this for him later. What a great option for someone who craves ice cream so much!

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Yum, that looks awesome. I’ve done walnuts and chocolate chunks in banana soft serve, but the nut butter and coconut sounds yummy! Going to try this later this afternoon, the heat has been killing me the last couple days.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty

OOOOOOOOOOOOOh how I’m wishing I had frozen banana’s right now!! This would be an awesome (and delicious) breakfast!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I love how simple and healthy this is. I need to make this asap :D

Samantha

All of your recipes look delicious! I can’t wait to try some of them. Glad I found your blog!

Sarah@The Flying ONION

I am *drooling*. This sounds fabulous. Especially on a hot day like today. :D

Katy @ notjustacarnivore

I just made this! So yummy!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons

Trying this super soon!!! I was getting bored of banana soft serve and this will totally perk it up a ton! <3

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life

Ooooo delicious! I can always count on you to make my mouth water.

Hana

Yum! I wish bananas weren’t so expensive in Australia ($14 a kg!).
Remember to take the skin off before freezing – I made that mistake when I was 8 :/

Nikki @ Resistant Nikki

This looks so good! I’ve always loved banana ice cream – never thought to use frozen bananas to make my own but might try this next time I want to treat myself! :)

Nadia

Oh, I love banana ice-cream too! Never added almond butter before, although I love both tastes, thanks for the idea :)

Jeanette

Yum, love your healthified recipe for Chunky Monkey Ice Cream, one of my husband’s favorites!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

This looks like pure heaven and it’s definitely on my list of things to make immediately!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

This looks wonderful! Healthy too – great job! Good luck with your race!

Kelly

What a great idea!! I LOVE how you healthified this, looks delicious! :)

Adora's Box

It is so nice to come across healthy frozen treats. We tend to eat so much when it is hot and that just adds up to the nasty surprise on the weighing scale.

Kim Bee

Wonderful recipe, made me crave ice cream so badly. Great pics too.

Christi @ Love From The Oven

Those look amazing!!!! If I didn’t use up my bananas on bread today I would be making them now!

Laura

These look really good, but what can you substitute for the coconut?

Thanks, Laura. I would just omit it all together. You can try to replace it with slivered almonds for added crunch!

Ben and Natalie

Excellent!!!!! Didn’t know how it would turn out but we loved it! We’ll be making it again soon :) Thanks so much for the recipe!

Juliette

This looks freaking AMAZING!!! Can’t wait to try it :)

Agnes

I JUST LOVE ALL YOUR RECIPES!

WISH I COULD MAKE SOME OF THEM SOMEDAY…..

BEST REGARDS!
xx

Holly

I know this is an old post, but I found this while browsing through your website and had to make it. It was a little runny, but I’m not sure if my bananas were frozen enough. Otherwise it was delightful and I love that it is healthy and sugar free. And it made SO much. 4 servings for us. We must have used bigger bananas.

Janice

I love chunky Monkey! I used to love eating the chunky monkey from Ben & Jerrys but i stopped eating those because it was a little heavy for me. If i was to make this… How can i save it in the freezer for next time?

Hi Janice – it was one of my favorites too. I grew up in a small town and they used to give out Ben & Jerry’s with every new release video rental. It was AWESOME! I saved my allowance every week just for it. Just place it in the freezer when you’ve completed a batch. Then, when you’re ready to enjoy you can add it to your processor to break up a bit, or just let it defrost slightly before consuming. Enjoy!

Sarah

I love your recipes! I made your vegan cream of mushroom soup today for vegan green bean casserole (delish), and as an afternoon pick-me-up I made this wonderful ice cream. It didn’t bind at first, looked kinda like dip n dots! But I added a bit of soy milk as you suggested and voila, ice cream!

I don’t have kids, but I’m sure there will come a day in the future when I do have them and they want ice cream for breakfast. This is an awesome way to allow that because it tastes awesome, is packed with so much healthy goodness, has no added sugar or sweetener, and they’ll think they’re getting such a treat!! Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge from your kitchen adventures!