Canada Day Dessert Pizza

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 29, 2011

Canada Day is a big event at our house.

We throw some meat on the grill, gather up as much Kokanee as we can, and blare the tunes. All in the name of this beautiful country we call home.

This year, I wanted to do something a bit different.

Of course there will be potato salad, steaks, burgers, and endless potato chips, but why not throw some [healthy] dessert into the mix?

I’ve never made a homemade pizza crust that didn’t come out of a box [gasp!] so when I was planning this recipe, I wanted to take it for a test run before I needed it.

What’s worse than a mushy pizza? A mushy pizza 2 hours before the barbecue begins.

Thankfully the test run was a success!

And, it also doubles as a fantastic breakfast, so none of it has gone to waste. I can assure you that!

[print_this]

Oh Canada Dessert Pizza

Vegan [option], Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Impress your barbecue guests this long weekend with this delicious, natural, sugar-free, and gluten-free, dessert pizza. Best of all, you can have the leftovers for breakfast!

Yield: 1 – 8×12″ rectangular dessert pizza

Crust

Lightly adapted from Gluten Free Goddess

• 1 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 cup sorghum flour
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/4 cup millet flour *see note
  • 1.5 tbsp palm sugar
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp Himalayan rock salt
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp warm water [between 110 - 115F - I used a meat thermometer to check ;)]
  • 1/2 tsp palm sugar

• 1/2 cup grape juice sweetened strawberry jam
  • 3 cups fresh organic strawberries, sliced thin

White backing

• 1/2 cup coconut butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened long shredded coconut

To make the crust:

1. Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together tapioca flour, sorghum, brown rice flour, millet flour, palm sugar, ground flax seed, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  3. Dissolve the 1/2 tsp of palm sugar in the water before adding the dry yeast and set aside for 5 minutes.
  4. Add the yeast to the dry ingredients, then mix in oil, egg and vinegar.
  5. Beat the dough until smooth and sticky. The pizza dough should be creamy smooth and not too thick- it’s not sturdy like typical bread dough. It almost borders on batter, but can still be formed somewhat.
  6. Scoop dough onto prepare pan. Using clean hands press down lightly and flatten the dough to create a thin, even rectangle. Take your time to smooth out the dough. Set the pizza shell in a warm spot to rest and rise for 15 minutes.
  7. Brush with olive oil, cinnamon, and sugar before placing in the prepared oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden.
  8. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes

The toppings:

1. Beginning with your maple leaf, place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Drop mixture onto a sheet of parchment. Place another sheet of parchment over top, and roll the mixture until it’s about 1/2″ thick. You should now have a perfect flat surface to cut into with a cookie cutter! The cookie cutter may get stuck on the mix, if so, roll back out, place in the freezer for 10 minutes, and retry. I had to be very patient removing the maple leaf from the cookie cutter, but it did work! Set aside.
  2. Begin brushing jam on either side of the pizza with a spoon until fully coated. Place sliced strawberries on top.
  3. Slowly pour melted coconut butter in the middle of the pizza until the middle portion is covered. Sprinkle with coconut, being sure not to get any on the red portion.
  4. Top with your maple leaf and you’re ready to party!

note: I ground millet in my coffee grinder into a flour, then sifted to remove any larger pieces. I bet buckwheat flour would work, too!

note: I bet you could replace the egg in this recipe with 1 flax eggs. Combine 1 tbsp of freshly ground flax seed with 3 tbsp of water and let sit for 5 minutes, then use as you would an egg.

[/print_this]

I bet it’d  be easy enough to make an American flag too!

• Red stripes: use the same strawberries and jam I’ve used
  • White stripes: use the same white section I’ve used
  • Blue corner: blueberries, halved on top of blueberry jam
  • Stars: if you’re not picky on color, little chunks of pineapple would be good, or you could use dried mulberries!

Mmm breakfast…

The pizza was so big! I have no doubt that it will feed 12 people and then some.

I let the pieces chill overnight, then wrapped them in plastic wrap and stuck them in the freezer. The crust freezes really well!

I doubled the recipe and ended up whipping together a dinner style pizza, too!

I followed the same directions above, but didn’t allow the crust to cool. Instead, I topped it with toppings, and placed it back in the oven [on broil] for 5 minutes, or just until the cheese was melted.

The dinner pizza version was missing a bit of the tang that regular pizza dough has. I think next time I’ll try to increase the apple cider vinegar to see if that helps it slightly. Other than that, it was delicious and a fraction of the cost of a store bought gluten-free pizza mix.

Kevin’s half had: bacon, non-dairy cheese, peppers, red onions, and tomatoes

My half: ground kidney beans, green onions, red onions, peppers, cremini mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes.

It was the first time I’d tried chopping the topping ingredients in the food processor. It was so easy, and the pieces were small enough that they cooked really well in the 5 minutes they had under the broiler.

My life has been full of pizza eating this week, and I don’t mind it in the slightest!

Are you having a Canada Day/Independance Day shindig?

What types of foods do you like to make for barbecues?

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

Very inventive! I’ll have to try this gluten-free mix, I’ve never had a huge amount of success making g-f pizza from scratch.

I’m in Ireland so no Canada or Independence Day for me!

I love to skewer chunks of veg and chicken to grill and serve with lots of salads.

Jess@HealthyExposures

This crust recipe is particularly awesome because I actually have (almost) all those flours! I can’t tell you how many times I want to experiment with something gluten free only to discover they require about 5+ flours and xanthan gum. Needless to say, I move on to the next idea :P BOTH of your pizzas look awesome!

Andrea @ Vegvacious

Both of those pizzas look awesome! I’ve never done ground kidney beans on pizza before ~ very interesting! We’re having a Canada Day Brunch and I’m trying to think up as many red & white dishes as I can to stay with the theme.

Kelly

What a fabulous idea Leanne! Your Canada Day dessert pizza is beautiful… I love the use of coconut and the medjool dates in the maple leaf. As always, your ingredient choices are brilliant – whole, live, natural. Happy Canada Day!

That is so creative! I love it! I I were more ambitious, I’d be all over it for the 4th. :)

I’d have stolen a slice of your pizza too – the SDT get me every time!

Leanne….your pizza is a WORK OF ART!!!!!!

WOW!!! It’s so beautiful. It looks too good to even eat. (almost!)

Are you having a Canada Day/Independance Day shindig? = not having one, possibly going to some. If anyone wants to invite us :)

What types of foods do you like to make for barbecues? = my raw vegan choc mousse fools people every time. And hello, I like to make cocktails and margaritas for summer parties!

Faith @ lovelyascharged

I’m going to a party with the coach and then a potluck with my work – I’ve got plenty of cooking to do in the next day or two!

Sam

Awesome! I gotta make something this Canada day…it’s so close though! ah! :P I don’t think I could come up with anything more creative than this though, this is beautiful and looks tasty too. I want the maple leaf! yum.

The maple leaf was the first thing I ate hehe

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

First off you pizzas look amazing! YUM! Now I really want pizza! I’m definitely giving this a try! Second, I know you don’t need it for the rise, but I would double the yeast in it for more of that yeasty tang. To my gluten free bread recipe, I use 4 tsp yeast for 4 cups of flour and it definitely has that bread flavor from the yeast even without the long rise time.

We are getting together with people for the 4th of July, but I have no idea what I will be responsible for as far as food goes. I better figure that out soon!

Thank you! I wasn’t sure how much yeast to add. I’ll definitely try this next time :)

Val

Looks good. But where did you find the unsweetened dried cranberries ( and strawbs?) I can’t seem to find them anyway and what brand of grape juice sweetened jam do you use???

I found the cranberries at a health food store called Community Natural foods (in Calgary) and a friend of mine makes the strawberries. You can purchase them online too though, through nuts online: http://www.nutsonline.com/driedfruit/strawberries/freeze-dried.html they are a freeze dried version, but should work if you add it in with the dried cranberries. The jam I use is St. Dalfour brand. Good luck!

JT

Make sure that you don’t get the dried strawberries and check the ingredient list from nuts online. I ordered their dried strawbs once without checking and what I got was strawberries loaded with arificial color and flavor :( Boo, not sure about the rest of their dried fruit but I sure check every ingredient when I order from them now. This cake looks wonderful Leanne!!!! Happy Canada Day!

JT

Oops, I meant pizza, not cake LOL!!! Whatever the heck it is, I’d eat the whole thing :) :) :)

Val

Thanks so much. I’ll keep an eye out for them. I’m sad I probably won’t e able to make this for tomorrow but with such a great recipe I might make it for a different theme!!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I am loving both those pizzas! The dessert one looks amazing and the savory pizza has my taste buds tingling, yumm :D

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Yum! I’ve always thought dessert pizzas look (and sound) awesome but I’ve never actually tried one. I should try to make one. 12 people is about how many we feed at family dinner on Sunday so maybe that would be an awesome opportunity to try it out :D
Love how you mentioned that you “gather up as much Kokanee as we can”. Haha that is awesome. I actually live like 3 minutes from the brewery :D And what’s even more hilarious(that my hubby pointed out actually) is that my husband works at the “glacier spring” or whatever they call it. Lol!

Jenny

I wish I could host (or help to host) a Canada Day BBQ! As a student living in a balcony-less studio, that would be a little difficult… I’m going out with my friends in the afternoon for Canada Day – so we’re going to be enjoying a BBQ somewhere, somehow! + Ice cream or gelato, I hope. :D

Again, since I didn’t grow up in N.America, I didn’t get a chance to go to a lot of BBQs growing up, haha. The ones I did go to had very exotic food – fried candied grasshoppers and such [unfortunately as nasty as it sounds]. I think I now associate things like satays or yakitori/yakiniku with BBQs!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sherrri

Oh Leanne! You’re an inspiration to patriotic cooking. So healthy and so fun. Guess I’ll pull out the blueberries to make this one work in the states. Thanks.

Meghan (My Kitchen and I)

WOW Leanne! Those pizza’s really look amazing! I am definitely going to try out the crust recipe :) I like your half of the pizza! Looks so yummy!

Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend)

YOU are amazing and this pizza looks divine. How incredibly creative! I have such a respect for cooks that can make their food look so beautiful. What a genius idea to use the dried fruit for the maple leaf! Love this!

Lisa @ Healthful Sense

What a CahUTE idea!! Love it. And I love the BBQ pizza. My fav thing to throw on the BBQ for the moment are sweet potatoes.

Happy Canada Day :D :D Looks like you had some yummy pizzas!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn

I love it!! So beautiful, especially with the cans of canadian beer next door ;)

O.C.

Yumm this looks so tasty and patriotic! My relatives up here have a Canada day party every year and this year I’ll be here to celebrate too :) I’m excited!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

What an artist you are!! Looks beautiful AND delicious. And if you want a really awesome crust on a pizza, put the raw dough into a (heated) cast iron skillet after topping. After a few minutes on the skillet, toss the whole thing (skillet and all) to broil until the cheese is melty. So crunchy! It works great for individual-sized pizzas. And beans on a pizza! I must try!

Lori @ Laurel of Leaves

Dessert pizza is such a great idea. And I love your flag–so creative! :)

Lindsay

Beautiful looking cake! I really like the maple leaf you made.

Callie {Rawxy}

haha – I’m loving that pizza – such a clever one you are ;) My ex was from Canada and we used to go ALL out for Canada day – always made me wish I lived in Canada! (Just work on ya’lls weather, and I’m so there)

chinmayie @ love food eat

Looks beautiful!

Steph@stephsbitebybite

What a fabulous idea!! My tw favorite things all rolled in to one!! BRILLIANT

Tichina

This is the cutest desert idea ever! :) Awesome job!!

claire

I love this!!!

michelle

I used to live in Burnaby BC so the Kokanee really brought back some memories. That Canada day pizza is so impressive it made me smile :)

Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan

This is so clever and adorable! If I were you I’d be sad to cut it up!

torviewtoronto

beautifully done delicious pizza happy canada day

Megan

Thank you so much for the pizza dough recipe!! This is the first GF pizza I have made that actually tastes like pizza crust and not Focaccia! I changed a couple things: I used arrowroot instead of tapioca, because tapioca tends to be sweet. I also cut the arrowroot down to 1/2 cup, and added 1/2 cup buckwheat flour. I omitted the sugar, except in the part where you proof the yeast. I increased the vinegar to 1/4 tsp. Otherwise I followed the directions, with excellent results. I loaded mine up with bacon, blk olives, mushrooms, artichoke hearts and vegan mozzarella. I little sprinkling of basil and oregano on the tomato sauce, and I was in pizza heaven!

Wow, sounds like one heck of a pizza! I’m glad that you enjoyed it, Megan!