Guilt-free Nuts & Seeds Toffee Squares

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 23, 2011

Remember these granola bars from JK Gourmet?

My first bite of the nuts & seeds flavor was heavenly. By my second bite, I was mentally trying to create a homemade replica of the delicious bar I held in my hand.

Technically I failed at recreating it.

Luckily, I randomly made a healthy toffee recipe that knocked my socks straight off.

From now on, I’ll leave the granola bar making to JK Gourmet, and keep the toffee right where it needs to be…

in my belly!

What I love about this recipe, is that it’s so customizable! Had I know the outcome, I totally would have added protein powder, flax seeds, and chia to increase the fiber, protein, and omegas in this delicious snack.

Each bar is 200 calories, and is relatively high in fiber, and provides just a bit of protein. It’s a perfect mid-morning snack!

[print_this]

Guilt-free Nuts & Seeds Toffee Squares

Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

The best mistake I’ve ever made in my kitchen. Dairy-free toffee made with honey, almond butter, nuts & seeds.

Yield: 16 bars

• 1 cup roasted almond butter
  • 3/4 cup unpasteurized pure honey
  • 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup raw walnuts, chopped
  • 1/4 cup raw almonds, chopped
  • 1/4 cup raw pecans, chopped
  • 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds [peptias]

Line a 9×9 square pan with parchment paper across both sides for easy lifting and set aside. Combine nuts and seeds in a medium size bowl and set aside.

Place honey in a medium saucepan and cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly until it reaches a simmer. The honey should begin to foam. This is okay! Just don’t stop stirring. Continue to stir for another 8 minutes. Add almond butter and turn the heat to the lowest setting. Continue stirring the honey + almond butter until it begins to thicken, about 2-3 minutes. When it gets hard to stir, add the nuts and seeds. Mix until combined.

Immediately drop the hot mixture into the prepared pan and smooth it with a damp spatula. Sprinkle some extra shredded coconut on the top if you’d like.

Allow the mixture to cool on the counter for at least an hour.

Lift out of the pan [still on parchment] and cut into bars. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or freezer for up to a month.

[/print_this]

Next time, I’m going to:

• decrease the honey by 1/4 cup, lowering sugars to just under 10g a serving [currently at 13g sugars]
  • add protein powder, to increase the protein to a total of 8g per bar

Toffee protein bar? Heck ya!

After Kevin and I snacked on a couple, I wrapped up each bar in plastic wrap, put them in a ziploc bag, and placed them in the freezer.

I brought a couple squares along with me to our company golf tournament yesterday. Although we did more lounging than golfing, we were the only team that remained hydrated, and full of healthy food.

If you’re wondering why they are wearing crazy hats, it’s because there was a contest for the best dressed team.

Ya, I didn’t wear a crazy hat, but I had green on!

Darn sand pits. I actually enjoy raking them, but getting the ball out is no fun!

Do you golf?

What mistake have you made in the kitchen that turned out to be a tasty new recipe?

Omg those toffee squares look…AMAZING!!!!

I love brittles, barks, toffee, caramel, that whole family….I adore. Wow.

I love that you made the whole thing with honey, i.e. not with tons of white sugar and cream that is boiled to the hard ball stage and that you dont need a candy thermometer( hate dealing with them!) to make these.

Brilliant recipe!!!!

Wow, Leanne! These look fabulous :D And I love the addition of the coconut :D

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

Those look really good. I love toffee but never eat it because of how much sugar it has. Thanks for the recipe!

Jess@HealthyExposures

OMG, these look AMAZING!! I can tell they are just the texture I like – kinda chewy but still with enough nuts and seeds to provide a nice change in texture. don’t you just love mistakes like that?!
Love the smiles on you guys while golfing – looks fun!

Stefanie

Those look scrumptous. I used to going to the driving range with my dad a lot. We just do not have the time anymore and it is too hot now. Maybe we will go this fall/winter (I live in Fl.) when it is cooler. :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged

Oooh, done and DONE! I get the biggest hankering for chewycrunchy sweets every afternoon, and this sound worlds better than a Butterfinger run!

Tiff @ Love, Sweat and Beers

How fun! I wish I could golf. It looks like a great excuse for some fun in the sun.

Oh I cannot golf at all! I just like being out in the sun, and driving around a golf cart!

Hannah Mendenhall

Those look so good! I went on a nut butter treat kick awhile back and made so many things like this. Makes me want to make them again!

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Awesome recipe!! I cannot wait to try these when I get some more honey. I love things like this :D

Kristina @ spabettie

I golf, but am not a golfer ;) I played in a couple tournaments for fun in college (won closest to the pin!) and decided to stick to tennis!

I LOVE toffee, however… can I be good at that!?? I must make this.

O.C.

Wow those look great, yummy and healthy! I love your recipes cause they always get the best of both worlds like that :)
I’ve tried gols before and am absolutely terrible but you look pretty pro at it!

Michelle T

I literally had to make these within an hour of you’re post. They are delicious! Thank you!

haha nice! I’m glad you liked them, Michelle!

Laura Jeanne

anything with toffee in the title makes my eyes jump for joy. These look delicious!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons

I had a dream last night that I could golf =) You guys look adorable!

and those toffee squares are pretty cah-ute too!

Kelly

Leanne, these sound fabulous! You had me at the almond butter :)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.

That recipe looks AWESOME!! It’s making me want to run out and buy the seeds since I have everything else.

I’d say just make them with nuts if that’s all you have! As long as they’re chopped, I’m sure it’d taste fantastic!

Melissa Darr

Oh these look scrumptious… will be making them this weekend for snacks while we potter in the garden! A mistake i made in the kitchen….. actually happens quite often and most things i make turn out different to what the recipe is suppose to be…. darn skim reading and rushing! :-)

chinmayie @ love food eat

Leanne! I love how creative you are :) You have some amazing recipes!
These toffee squares look awesome!!

Medeja

Oh, I love these though I haven’t even tried them yet! Great recipe! :)

Maggie

Yes please toffee bars! Oh my dear goodness. Going to my kitchen now to see if I have the ingredients! Thanks :)

eva @5FruitsNVeggies

oh i love toffee but gave up the traditional stuff because of the dairy content…but amazing alternatives and i trust that it tastes the same or superior!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit

I am totally sold on these. Raw, toffee, lovely!

Alanna

If you were to put Protein powder into this recipe how much would you use? Just out of curiosity. :-) I would love to make these!

Hmm I’d probably start with 1/4 cup and work my way up. I bet you could get to 1/2 cup, just don’t cook the honey as long as I’ve recommended. Good luck!

Laura

These are incredible! I don’t like walnuts much, so I used cashews instead. Love them!

romana

Hi Please tell me what is roasted almond butter and how do one make it for this recipe????

Hi Romana, you can purchase almond butter at any grocery store. Or you can make a nut butter like this for it: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6006948

Madiha

Hi Leanne! This recipe looks absolutely delicious and healthy at the same time! :D I can’t wait to try it! I wanted to ask if it’s possible to make it with peanut butter instead of almond butter?

S

Hi Leanne, I tried this out and I absolutely love it. Excited to try more of your recipes :)

Mary

Made these yesterday morning and added one full scoop of Vega Vanilla Almondilla Smoothie Powder and cut the honey back to 1/2 cup. They are nothing less than amazing! Next I’ll be using Vega Performance Protein mix Vanilla flavored and maybe add some chia. These are incredibly addicting. Thanks for the recipe!

Wow, awesome to know that the honey can be slashed! Thanks for sharing your changes, Mary. I’m so happy that you liked the recipe :)

Tracy

Hi, these look amazing! Great that they r not full of sugar to! Just wondering if its runny honey u use, or the more firmer honey? B great if u could get back to me, cheers. :0)