Refreshing Basil Lemon-Limeade Slushy

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on May 19, 2011

A couple of us girls at my birthday lunch chose to quench our thirst with a freshly squeezed basil lemon-limeade.

I was totally one of those girls!

Basil? Oh yes…

It was love at first sip, but man was it a challenging to recreate.

I gave up after 3 failed attempts and the peel of 15 lemons in the trash.

Have you ever tried to peel a lemon? Don’t. It’s ridiculously challenging.

Please don’t tell me there’s a tool for it. I think I’ll lose my mind?!

… is there?

I opted to go a different route. Enter the slushy [with lemon + lime juice instead of pulp]!

[print_this]

Refreshing Basil Lemon-Limeade Slushy

Vegan [do not use honey], Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

• 2/3 cup of sweetener like honey, agave, palm sugar or 1/8-1/4 tsp white powder stevia *see note
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves + a couple extra leaves for garnish
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice [3-4 medium lemons]
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice [about 4 medium limes]
  • 1/4 cup not from concentrate apple juice
  • 2 cup cold water
  • 2 cup ice

Place all ingredients in blender and pulse until ice is broken up. Pour into glasses immediately and garnish with lime or lemon wedges and extra basil leaves.

Makes ~6 cups.

note: I used stevia for the first batch and honey for the second. I liked the taste of the honey version more, but 2/3 a cup is a bit much.

[/print_this]

The basil adds so much flavor!

You better believe I’ll be serving this when Kevin’s family visits from Germany next week. I’m positive it will make a lasting first impression!

I’ve been doing a lot of meal planning in preparation for their visit; which I will share later with you in an upcoming post!

Weekly meal planning for myself has to be my favorite things, but meal planning for others can be a challenge. How do you make sure that everyone is satisfied?

Do you plan meals when you have guests staying with you for more than a couple of days?

Any dishes you think I should make to WOW them?

Last chance to enter my $100 Amazon giveawayyyy!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas

Looks very refreshing! Basil is definitely an interesting twist! I kind of did a double take when I saw the title of your post!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

That’s really interesting! I bet the flavors went nicely together!

Very cool idea! I love that it can be a refreshing summer alternative to an alcoholic beverage (trying to resist in the sun is hard at times :) ). I bet it would be great with orange or grapefruit and mint too!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

You are so patient – I may have given up after attempt 2! But these sound like they were totally worth it! :)

Amy

that looks so refreshing! now cleveland just needs to warm up a little..

Vicky

Oh wow! My basil plant has a ton of leaves so now I know what I’m going to do. I never would have thought about putting basil in lemonade. Now I just need some warmer (sunnier) weather to go with this drink!

When I have guests over, unfortunately (or fortunately) we end up going out to eat a lot. On the one hand, it’s easy, fun and I don’t have to do the dishes. On the other hand, it gets expensive and eating out every night gets to be a bit much. A BBQ might be fun (weather permitting) – it’s fairly easy to make a little bit of everything – seafood, chicken, meat, veggies and everyone gets to help out :) Good luck with your meal planning Leanne! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Tiff @ Love, Sweat and Beers

I never would have thought of putting basil in a slush. I don’t think 7-11 will be putting that on the shelves any time soon, but it sounds good to me!

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh

This sounds SO refreshing!! i love lemon and basil together!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga)

wow looks amazing and you are right…hard to recreate! I can tell from those flavors that yes, that would be tricky but thanks for sticking with it :)

impress your guests? yes, something full of chocolate and sugar and butter. may not be “healthy” but they’ll be impressed :)

Laura

this looks so refreshing and delicious. I am sitting home sick today not wanting anything heavy and this just jumped my taste buds into a friendzy. I think this will be added to lunch today with using all the fresh herbs i just plated a couple weeks back.
Thanks for sharing, looks excellent. :)

birdie to be

Yum… this looks & sounds delicious!

Nina

this sounds delicous! his family will like it, I am german too, and when I have friends and family over they are always impressed with interesting creations, they do not get that in germany lol ;-)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I’ve never lemon and basil together to make a slushy. Definitely looks refreshing :)

RavieNomNoms

That is SUCH a great idea! Wow, a basil slushy…I have to say that is a first!

BigFatBaker

This sounds so refreshing! I love adding basil and mint to in my strawberry banana smoothies.

Jess@HealthyExposures

This looks and sounds SO refreshing! I never would have thought to add basil to a drink…but now that you mention it, why NOT?!

Amy's Cooking Adventures

What a great flavor combination! I will have to get my hands on those ingredients!

Happy When Not Hungry

Wow this drink looks so healthy and refreshing! Love the fresh basil leaves in there as well as the fresh squeezed lime and lemon juices. Yum!

Tori (Fresh Fruition)

This sounds so good. I’m a total citrus fiend! I even eat lemon pieces by themselves on occasion. I’ll definitely be making this on a hot day this summer!

Kat

This sounds so good. I don’t use basil that much but I think I should

Barbara

Oh my, what a great looking drink. Question, where do you purchase palm sugar? I’ve never heard of it.

Jay

Sounds like you could use a channel knife. They usually come as part of a small zester (also helpful depending on what size pieces of peel you’re looking for), but you can peel the entire citrus fruit in one long spiral with enough practice. It makes for an lovely garnish, too, especially when candied… I’m pretty excited to make this my go-to drink for the summer.

I just bought one today after I read your comment. Thank you so much. Now, I just have to figure out how to use it :)

michelle

I plan my meals for sure….neurotically. I peel my lemons all the time. The T.O. Exhibition has a peeler they sell and I can’t live without it. I peel and then I put it into the bullet to pulverize. If you’d like I can show you the peeler. Just email me.

debra

FYI – I use a carrot /potato peels to peel my lemons!