Raspberry Lavender Ice Cream

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on May 20, 2011

Nothing like a cool treat after a long day, right?

Yesterday was my last day at the office for 2 weeks, so there was countless things to wrap up. Not only that, but I had an insanely long list of things to do before I could go home:

• pick up wholesale grains [one of my goals for my 25th year] I have grains coming out of my ears now
  • grab some new items from Crate & Barrel
  • trade in our empty CO2  canister for Kevin’s carbonated water machine [coolest thing ever]
  • finally buy a food processor! I’ve been saving up for this baby for months.
  • swing by the Camera Store for a new grey card [more about the benefits of grey cards + white balance in a future photography post]

By the time I got home I was hungry, tired, and all I wanted to do was make nut butter.

Instead of having nut butter and ice cream for dinner, I opened up a can of chickpeas, mashed it up with some raw veggies, hard boiled egg, and called it a day.

Then I had ice cream.

[print_this]

Raspberry Lavender Ice Cream

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Naturally sweet ice cream with lavender, vanilla, and raspberries.

• 3 cups lite coconut milk
  • 1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
  • 6 medjool dates, pitted or 2 pinches of white powdered stevia
  • 2 tsp edible lavender flowers
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in blender until smooth.

Freezer style: pour into 2 freezer safe bowls and place in the freezer for at total of 1.5-2 hours, removing every 30 minutes to whisk so that it doesn’t set into an ice cube. When it gets to a soft serve ice cream consistency it’s done!

Ice cream maker style: place mixture in your ice cream maker and allow to churn until desired consistency is met. If you’re like us and can’t wait, serve straight from the ice cream maker. If you have patience, place the ice cream in a freezer safe container and allow to freeze for 1-2 hours before serving.

Makes 2 servings.

[/print_this]

I’ve had so much honey in the last couple of days that I used dates as a sweetener, but honey would have been really good in this.

I topped my bowl with granola, raisins, chocolate, and flax seeds.

Delicious.

Happy Friday everyone :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Yummy! Love raspberry flavored things. I’ll have to check if I have raspberries in my freezer because I’ve been trying to empty it out and I think my hubby would love this. Although… I don’t have any lavender, but I’m sure it will be yummy without too.

It would be really good without it. You could also try using chamomile tea! That’d be pretty good too :)

Lauren

Prepare to wonder what you ever did without a food processor. My life was incomplete before I got mine. Why oh why do I not own an ice cream maker??

I’ve had a really, really bad one for the last… 8 years. The new one is a MACHINE. I’m amazed at how powerful it is. You need to get an ice cream maker, they’re fabulous!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga)

omg that looks insanely good!

and i love the yellow and pink! some (ok lots) of my photoshoots end up using pink and white b/c i think it’s just so pretty w/ food and i love the yellow!

do you use photoshop? or lightroom? I use LR 3 and have PS on my laptop (just realized that!) but dont know how to use it and since i learned LR and am learning as i go, i think im just sticking w/ that but lmk what you use.

and how did you make your sidebar food boxes/my favorites? i had some but took mine down and may start over…any tips?

I use photoshop and lightroom. Photoshop is a bit challenging, but there are some awesome youtube videos out there if you have a specific problem or question.
To make the sidebar: I just made small images, I think 150×150 and then placed them in a widget with their corresponding URL. It takes FOREVER… I’ve been putting off updating it because it’s a 3 hour project at least!

Irena

Where to start….love your new bowls…so cute, ice cream look amazing and photos too. Nice:)
I love grains and made new bars…I know that you bar fan…check it out…thanks….they would go great with your ice cream.

Lindsey@Lindselicious

This ice cream sounds so good- what a cool flavor combination. PS- I love the ice cream bowls too- they are just perfectly sweet.

BigFatBaker

I am hoping I can save up enough for a decent food processor or ice cream maker… This sounds lovely and refreshing!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

Ah, yum! I wish I had some of that right now! P.S. I have those cute little ice cream spoons – love them! :)

Lauren

Love it! This sounds like a great flavor combo! And the bowls and spoons are just adorable.

Kate@Diethood

I LUV ice cream! I’ve never had it with lavender, though… sounds like something that I should really try!

Kristi Rimkus

I have yet to use lavender when I cook, and I’ve seen so many recipes like this that sound and look amazing. I think I’m missing out and it’s time to give it a try.

Kristi

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh

I have been wanting an ice cream that was no diary, and no added sugar…OMG you answered my prayers!! Looks delicious!!

Tori (Fresh Fruition)

This looks SO GOOD! Fruity ice cream, yum yum yum! I wish I could have a bite!

RavieNomNoms

That is absolutely divine…thanks for sharing!

Joy

The ice cream looks wonderful.

The Mistress of Spices

Sounds delicious! I’ve been wondering what to do with the edible lavender I picked up this weekend…looks like I might have my answer!

Deb Killeen

Can I use Coconut Dream (coconut drink) for this?

Hi Deb – I always use a higher fat milk for my ice creams, but I’m sure you could give it a whirl!