Layered Maple Oat n’ Apple Dessert Jars

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on May 10, 2011

Before we get to this drool-worthy recipe… guess what? Today is my 25th birthday!

To be honest though, I wasn’t exactly looking forward to the big 2-5.

In preparation for the big day…

I decided to look back over the last 6 years to remind myself of what I’ve accomplished,

I ran my first 10km race 2 days before my birthday,

And; as a present to myself, I signed up for an all day outdoor rock climbing course in Kananaskis!

This won’t be the exact mountain range, but look at how beautiful this place is.

I <3 Alberta.

[source]

I couldn’t be more excited for the July class! Yes it’s a bit far off, but it’ll be well worth the wait!

The best of birthday preparations was the dessert I made over the weekend.

I’m not sure if it’s a dessert or a breakfast. Either way, it’s delicious.

There’s something so healing in making a dessert for yourself, no? It was the only thing I made over the weekend, so I really took my time with it.

Gifts made for you, by you, are quite special. If you haven’t done it for yourself, I urge you to give it a whirl!

Layered Apple Crumble Maple Jars6

I could have sworn we had a set of candles in the house, but when it came time for the pictures, you better believe those candles were nowhere in sight.

Would you leave your house at 10am on a Saturday to search for candles when these babies were sitting right in front of you?

I didn’t think so.

Just pretend that there’s a candle, kay?

And while we’re pretending, let’s keep it at 21 candles. No need wasting the other 4, right?

;-)

[print_this]

Layered Maple Oat n’ Apple Dessert Jars

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Maple and toasted walnut cookie, layered with dates, maple almond butter, and shelled flax.

Maple Flax

• 1/2 cup walnuts, roasted

Dates

• 8 medjool dates, pitted and halved [2 dates/jar]

Maple Mystery Butter

• 4 random jars
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil for greasing jars

To make maple flax: place flax seed in a Ziploc bag and place on the cutting board. Take a flat object [the bottom of a saucepan works nice] and hit the bag a couple of times until the germ separates from the shell for many of the seeds. Place shelled flax seeds in a small bowl and combine with maple syrup. Set aside

To make apple crumble cookie: preheat oven to 170F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat. Place walnuts on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, stirring once half way through. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Then, combine ground flax + water in a small bowl. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, beat coconut oil and sugar. Add flax egg, vanilla extract, and stevia and mix well. Pour wet into dry and stir to combine before adding apple, chopped walnuts. Set aside.

Making the magic happen: preheat oven to 350F and fill a 9×9 square inch pan with 1 inch of water. Set aside. Place a dab of coconut oil in each of your jars and place them in the microwave for 30 seconds [or until oil is melted]. Remove from microwave and use fingers to oil the inside of the jar. Place 2-3 tbsp of cookie mixture at the bottom, followed by 2 dates, then 1 tbsp mystery butter, followed by another 2-3 tbsp of cookie mixture. Top it all off with your maple flax and place in prepared pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until you see the cookie layer pull away from the glass. Remove from oven and take jars out of water bath. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before diving in!

Makes ~4 jars, depending on what size jars you use.

[/print_this]

They looked so good just sitting there unbaked. I managed to steal a bit of batter before I popped them in the oven.

Another one of those foil walls. This will never get old.

Next time I think I’ll use 125mL mason jars only. The larger jars were nice, but a bit too much dessert in one go.

Did I just say it was too much dessert?

Ugh… I’m getting old.

Happy birthday to me.

nom nom nom

Stay tuned later this week for my birthday goals post. Since I was little, I’ve treated my birthday as others treat the New Year. I set goals for the upcoming year, reflected on accomplishments, and thank myself for continuing on my journey.

Have you made yourself something special on one of your birthdays? If so, what was it?

When is your birthday?

Do you remember blowing out candles and wishing for something as a kid?

I had the same wish for many years, to meet the Backstreet Boys. Alas, it never happened.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

That looks really delicious – and that looks like my kind of dessert!

Deanna

Happy birthday! What a fun and inventive way to make a dessert. I’m totally going to go have to make those. Yum!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos

happy birthday!! wow, this apple crumble cookie looks SOOOO good. i want to eat this right now…

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)

omg this looks insanely good (and so creative!)

Apple Crumble Cookie…3 of my fave flavors, all in one!!!

Tiff @ Love, Sweat and Beers

Looks great! Now if I could only find someone to make it for me. :D Saw it on FitSugar too – great pics!

Jenny

i just polished off a jarred layered breakfast of sorts too… but it can’t hold a candle to yours! yum!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GIRL! Promise me you’ll treat yourself like the princess that you are :)

brandi

happy happy birthday!!! these look so delicious

Petra

Happy birthday!!

Jenny

p.s. I hope you don’t mind I just sent you a ridiculously long-winded email. PLEASE take your time responding. I don’t want you to miss out on one moment of your glorious birthday :)!! <3

Cait @ Beyond Bananas

Wow. I would like a jar of those oats. Like. NOW!

Ragnhild

Happy birthday Leanne :) I hope you are enjoyng your day! I guess you are- when you can have THOSE nyt buttery desserts. They look fantastic- I need to make them sometime!

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Yummy! Those look so good! My b-day is in February. I never really do anything special for it, it’s just never been a big deal. I don’t wait for special occasions to make things for myself, haha.

Happy Birthday!

Alexis

That recipe looks delicious! I can see myself eating a lot of those this summer when the fresh apples are around

Firefly

Happy Birthday :) hope you are having a wonderful day!!! Mine is on 17th LOL sadly I’ll be 30 in a week ;)

Your Layered Maple Oat n’ Apple Dessert looks delicious as all your recipes :)

Happy early birthday!

Natalia - a side of simple

Happy Birthday!! These desserts look fantastic! My birthday isn’t until December 17 so I am definitely not waiting that long to make these as a treat for myself :)

The Farmers Wife

Happy Birthday!!! And wow does that look good! I love this idea!

Kris | iheartwellness.com

Happy Birthday my gorgeous friend!! This is my kind of HEALTHY dessert!! Man, I wish I lived closer….we would eat really well together :) We should plan a big meet up soon where a bunch of us hop on a plane and travel! LOL

Have a great day!
xxoo

I totally agree with you, Kris. If you are ever in Calgary, or I am ever in Vancouver, we need to meet!

Helen

Here is wishing you a very happy birthday!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Happy Birthday Leanne!! I think apple dessert jars are a great way to celebrate :D

Happy Birthday! Your self-made dessert looks like the perfect present to YOU. :)

(what runs) Lori

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Um… I believe I’m in Maple Mystery Butter HEAVEN! These look outrageously wonderful!

I hope you have a fantastic bday celebration planned!! You deserve it.

Tracy @ Commit to Fit

Happy Birthday :) I love jars with layers of goodies and this one looks fantastic!

Nina @ SLO Foodie

Happy Birthday!!
I am so excited to hear all about your climbing trip too! I’ve been a climber for almost 8 years and I can promise you’ll fall in love with it ;) Have a great day!

Katie@Real Food Katie's Way

Happy Birthday!! 25 is a great age…I know this first hand being that I turned 25 in december ;)

That dessert looks SUPER yummy!

For my 25th birthday I ate christmas baking! It was delightful. Not near as delightful as THIS though…

Lori

Oh my, those do look wonderful!! A very happy 25th, no wait, I mean 21st birthday to you! I stopped counting at 29….I figured no one believed me when I really was 29, so that entitles me to stay there! I hope you have had a fabulous birthday!!

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Life

Happy Birthday Leanne! Wishing you a beautiful, wonderful, awesome, magical year! I’m so glad that I’ve “met” you through blogging. I wish I could give you a big hug today! Your dessert jar looks so amazingly tasty. I wanna eat it right now! Too bad I’m on this stupid cleanse ;-) I hope your birthday has been every bit as amazing as you are <3

Aw thanks Alaina! Maybe one of these days I’ll head on down to California and we can meet in REAL life! Virtual hugs for now :)

Sonia

Happy Birthday Leanne!
What a beautiful birthday dessert you had. Those look reaaaaaallly good! They do look a bit labor intensive, though, especially if you don’t have the mystery butter on hand. Still, I am bookmarking… I WANT to try this!

Oh, hey, keep making that wish… you never know! One day you might run right into the backstreet boys! :)

Tressa @ Hecka-Good Recipes

Happy Birthday! These Dessert Jars look amazing and I cannot wait to try them.

For my birthday I made a flourless chocolate torte! :)

Annexionnisme

C’est la vie..

brenda

Yummo! My friend just made me one of these, now I’m going to try and make a rhubarb version. Thanks, and happy birthday!