Maple Mystery Butter

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 27, 2011

I couldn’t stop saying….

M-m-m-m-m-m-maply goodness

as I was slathering this nut butter on a handful of crackers last night.

Be still my heart.

No fats were harmed in the making of this nut butter

Did you know?

Roasting nuts at temperatures higher than 170F causes damage to their delicate fats? When the fat in nuts are damaged, they produce free radicals that can cause lipid peroxidation aka the oxidizing of fats in your bloodstream that can trigger tiny injuries in your artery walls. This peroxidation is the first step in the buildup of plaque and cardiovascular disease.

It’s crushing, I know. [Crushing... get it? Nuts? I crack myself up]

Thankfully, all we have to do is roast our nuts in temperatures lower than 170F and we’re fine ‘n dandy!

[print_this]

Maple Mystery Butter

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

• 2 1/2 cups raw almonds
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews
  • 2 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 170F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the almonds, cashews, and maple syrup. Spread the nut mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, stirring once half way through.
  3. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
  4. Place roasted nuts and sunflower oil into the bowl of your food processor and process until drippy, scraping the bowl as needed.  This should take between 6-8 minutes.

Makes ~400mL of nut butter.

[/print_this]

I’m so happy to hear that I’m not the only one with an obsession love for putting sauces, dips, and dressings on my veggies. Whatever gets us to pack on the veg is fine by me!

Exception: if you consider a deep fried pickle 1 serving of veg [which I did at one point in my life], I have to tell you… it’s not a “vegetable” :(. It does however, make for a really great treat!

I know… I was crushed too.

Another thing that’s crushed me? [in a good way] Yesterdays workout.

I was surprised at how fatigued I was after this. I think I’ll give it another try tomorrow.

What’s the last strength training workout you’ve completed? Care to share the details?

What’s your favorite resource for workouts?
I’m currently trying to build myself a strength training plan and would love your suggestions!

Do you make your own nut butter?

Cait @ Beyond Bananas

What an interesting piece of information – I did not know that roasting nuts at too high a temp would harm the nutritional fats! (Not that I’ve ever roasted nuts.. but incase I ever take on this task, now I know!)

Stefanie

Thanks for the nut information. I make my own nut butters and roast them before grinding. I’ll have to remember to lower the heat. The maple nut butter looks good.

Sam

I’ve never made my own nut butter but i am going to now! OMG this looks and sounds so good, i love maple :) I am allergic to sunflower so i will have to substitute that but otherwise….YUM!
The last strength training workout i did was a shoulders one from Women’s Health Big book of exercises. This thing has like 600 different moves in it! And then workout they made with a combo of the moves. Really good value, i got it for like 18 dollars? I can never run out of strength moves! I just need to actually dooo them ;)

Oh for sure, you could substitute!
That book sounds amazing and $18 is a steal of a deal. Where did you get it?

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)

Omg we are on a parallel wavelenght…I JUST posted (well a couple hours before your post) my chocolate coconut cashew butter…so yes, i make my own nut butter.

yours sounds great…mmmm, maple!

You had me at coconut. YUM!

kate@ahealthypassion

Im a nutbutter addict and I have to make my own or I would be poor but this looks amazing I love the combo of cashews and almonds mmmmm

haha cost is definitely a factor in my nut butter making. I go through at least 500mL of it a week. I would be just as poor too

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

That looks really good – and that’s crazy about the temperatures above 170. I think I knew that, but I’m impatient.

Jenny

I’m just gonna throw this out there – but if you need a taste tester for your future nut butter making business, I’m your girl.

Just pay me in free products ;)

haha sounds like a fair deal!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe

Oh yes. Maple is such an awesome nut butter flavor. I can never get mine that smooth and creamy.

I thought I couldn’t either until I let my processor just run. It takes a lot of patience, but if you let it run for more time than you think it should, it just works!

I had no idea about the 170 degree upper limit. Good to know! I STILL have not made my own nut butter but it’s high on the list. Love the depth that roasted nuts add to the flavor.

Vicky

Like everyone else, I had no idea about not toasting nuts at temps higher than 170F. At least the preheating won’t take very long LOL

As for strength training, I usually do exercises that work my core and glutes. I workout with my physio or chiro so don’t pay enough attention to the exercise names. We do stuff on the balance ball, planks on the bosu, lunges and squats with medicine balls, and deadlifting. I thought that was a weird one for running but it actually works. I’m not sure if it’s really strength training, but I like doing speed work and plyo. I’m under the impression I’ll eventually be a faster runner :) LOL

Sounds like you’re working really hard to accomplish your goals, Vicky. That’s awesome!

Parsley Sage

Never made nut butter before but I’m sure that will change. This looks so good. As for training, I spin three times a week. The husband is cardio. The wife is strength. Oh man, is she ever strength training. Relentless. I try to swim at least once a week too. Hate, hate, hate running but I’ve committed to doing at least on 5K a month. Everyone’s raving about this crossfit thing…do you have that in your area?

I’d never heard of crossfit, so I just checked out their website. Holy moly, where do I sign? That sounds very interesting. I guess we have a couple of facilities in the city… I’ll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation, and keep up the great work!

Jyll

I want the recipe for whatever those are that are carrying the nut-butter. They look spectacular!

They are Mary’s gluten free crackers. Store bought!

Lauren

Seriously, you are full of so much great info! Did not know that about roasting nuts! I LOVE making my own nut butter, haven’t bought the pre-made stuff in ages.

Thanks Lauren. Ya, making your own nut butter is WAY cheaper + it’s a fun activity. What’s your favorite nut butter recipe?

Lin Ann

Put maple syrup in anything (well, just about) and I’m in! Wonderful nut butter recipe and important information to know about roasting nuts. Oh, that work out stuff, I’ve been pretty lazy but now that spring is here I’ll be cleaning the cobwebs off my bike and maybe take it for a spin soon!

A girl after my own heart, I’m just the same with my maple syrup! Have fun on the bike!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos

leanne, this looks AMAZING. i love almonds + cashews. i bet the maple syrup adds the perfect sweetness to it. MMmmm. my favorites are freshly pressed almond butter and sunbutter :)

I’ve never thought to make my own sunbutter. On it!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies)

WHAT?! I had NO idea about the roasting thing! youch- i will keep that in mind next time I make me some nut butter! this one looks DELICIOUS!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Holy moly this looks delicious!! What a perfect way to add some maple syrup goodness to nut butters :)
I do a lot of compound exercises for my weight training. Generally I follow the 3 main ones: Bench press, deadlift, leg press :) I just go to my bf for advice since he knows more about this than me lol :D

faith @ lovelyascharged

I absolutely love nut butters and maple syrup – why have I never combined the two? Its a travesty! Thanks for the idea :)

(what runs) Lori

Crushing. hehe. I like it.
Maple and nut butter was made to go together! I’m loving that you heated them slightly together beforehand! Sooooooooooooooo good.

bahaha I’m glad you liked my joke :$

Kelly

What a cute post and I love all the ingredients! This sounds fantastic, I must try this myself :)

SAM

I WANT THAT! :)

Jess@HealthyExposures

I never knew that re: roasting nuts potentially being bad. Now I do! I’ll have to do some research and see if that is what most companies who sell roasted nuts do so at 170 or below…I’m betting not :P

I can tell you with about 98% confidence that all companies roast with temperatures higher than 170 :( There may be 1 or 2 companies out there that don’t, but I haven’t been successful in finding them.

Kat

I did not know that about roasting nuts! I love roasted nuts but I’ll try to eat my nuts raw or roasted at a low temp from now on.

Clarkie @ Beloved Green

This is awesomeness in spread form. I love your nut wisdom interesting fact.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan

OH my gawd, this looks so good. I’m sure I’d eat the whole thing with a spoon. I’ve got scones on the brain though, and this would be great with those too.

I managed to eat the entire batch in 5 days so yes, spoon eating is VERY easy to do with this nut butter!

Megan

This nut butter looks amazing. I’ve just started to branch out with my nut butters. I recently tried almond butter, which I’ve found to be just ok compared to peanut butter. However, this recipe looks amazing and well worth a try! Great tip about the 170 degrees!! How long does it stay fresh for? I imagine it should last a while…

If you’re ok with weight training at home and are interested in buying free weights, then I highly recommend Jillian Michaels The Complete Body Workout (5 DVDs). I’ve been rotating through them every week for almost a year now (of course there were times when I got off track though). At first I began with 2 lb weights in each hand, then I progressed to 3 lbs, and now I alternate between 5 and 8 lbs depending on the exercise. I have also found that the P90X’s 15 minute ‘Ab Ripper’ workout is highly effective when used consistently. After one week it gets much easier (I have always struggled with my core and this is the first time I have ever seen this much definition in that area).

I don’t think anything compares to peanut butter [or so I've been told]. They usually last well for 3-4 weeks in the fridge.
Thanks for your recommendations. I’ve heard so many good things about the Jillian Michaels DVDs, I’ll have to check them out. Thanks a bunch!

Zo @ Two Spoons

Dang, I will likely get cardiovascular disease then, because I LOVE toasted nuts. Oh well, at least now I know what to do instead. Thanks for this tip :)

You’re welcome, Zo! At least now you know :)

Nikki @ Resistant Nikki

I’ve soaked my raw almonds in water…is it still okay to bake them? Do I need to wait until they are dry? Thanks for you help! :-)

Carole

what if you don’t have a food processor?

It’s pretty challenging to make nut butter without a food processor, but you could try your blender if it’s a pretty good model. Good luck :)

Kettlebell Workouts

That really looks amazing! This is going to go on the list of post-workout meals to boost the calorie intake! Thanks for sharing!

Chris

I am allergic to Cashews :( Is there an alternative? Thanks! I love your blog and recipes!!!

Hi Chris – I’m sure you could use any nut you’d like. I really like walnuts and pecans in this!

canali

can Extra virigin olive oil be substituted for sunflower oil at all?

Hi Canali! I don’t like using olive oil in my nut butters because of the light olive taste… but any type of nut oils would work, too!