I couldn’t stop saying….
as I was slathering this nut butter on a handful of crackers last night.
Be still my heart.
No fats were harmed in the making of this nut butter
Did you know?
Roasting nuts at temperatures higher than 170F causes damage to their delicate fats? When the fat in nuts are damaged, they produce free radicals that can cause lipid peroxidation aka the oxidizing of fats in your bloodstream that can trigger tiny injuries in your artery walls. This peroxidation is the first step in the buildup of plaque and cardiovascular disease.
It’s crushing, I know. [Crushing... get it? Nuts? I crack myself up]
Thankfully, all we have to do is roast our nuts in temperatures lower than 170F and we’re fine ‘n dandy!
Maple Mystery Butter
Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free
- 2 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 170F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almonds, cashews, and maple syrup. Spread the nut mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, stirring once half way through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Place roasted nuts and sunflower oil into the bowl of your food processor and process until drippy, scraping the bowl as needed. This should take between 6-8 minutes.
Makes ~400mL of nut butter.
I’m so happy to hear that I’m not the only one with an
obsession love for putting sauces, dips, and dressings on my veggies. Whatever gets us to pack on the veg is fine by me!
Exception: if you consider a deep fried pickle 1 serving of veg [which I did at one point in my life], I have to tell you… it’s not a “vegetable” :(. It does however, make for a really great treat!
I know… I was crushed too.
Another thing that’s crushed me? [in a good way] Yesterdays workout.
I was surprised at how fatigued I was after this. I think I’ll give it another try tomorrow.
What’s the last strength training workout you’ve completed? Care to share the details?
What’s your favorite resource for workouts?
I’m currently trying to build myself a strength training plan and would love your suggestions!
Do you make your own nut butter?