I have a confession to make…
I hate veggies.
Wait, no… that’s a little too drastic. I just hate boring veggies.
I’m not one to be seen snacking on a carrot unless it’s loaded with hummus.
You’ll never have to worry about me stealing a slice of your cucumber. Wait, is that salt & pepper on your cucumber? I take that back!
You can guarantee I’ll never just have vegetable juice. Veggies are made for fruit, right?
And you will never, ever, ever in a million years see me eating a salad with oil + vinegar on plain lettuce. Yuck?!
What you can count on, is seeing me…
- Sneaking off to add some homemade croutons to my salad.
- Whipping up a batch of ultra creamy and dreamy dressing for dipping + salad use.
- Topping all sorts of seeds + nuts on lettuce to spice it up.
- Waiting patiently for 2 hours as my tempeh defrosts just so I can make some tempeh croutons.
Yes, veggie eating is a commitment and definitely not a simple task for me. But, when veggies are spiced up juuuust right, they’re delicious and consumed by the truckloads!
- ¼ hemp seed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon himalayan rock salt
- rind of 1 lemon
- black pepper to taste
- pinch white stevia powder
- 8 cups romaine lettuce
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced thin
- 2 vine tomatoes, diced
- 8 figs, sliced
- fresh black pepper
- lemon slices for garnish
- To make dressing: combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- To make croutons: place lemon juice, zest, garlic, apple juice, and spices in a medium sized bowl. Whisk to combine. Add tempeh and stir to coat. Add olive oil to a pan over high heat. Add tempeh and saute for 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat, add vinegar slowly to deglaze the pan. Remove from heat, toss tempeh in a pinch of salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper and allow to cool.
- Putting everything together: drop salad ingredients, dressing, and croutons in a large bowl. Toss to coat and serve!
View Nutritional Information (once on page scroll down)
mmm now THAT’S how you enjoy your veggies!
I just love a good dressing. Don’t you?
Something else I totally love?
Don’t judge me if it’s old.
I live a sheltered life.
How have I never heard of The Naked and Famous?
Officially in LOVE.
The way I see it:
Healthy dose of awesome music = healthy mind and positive thoughts
This song has pumped up my morning in a big way.
Rock out with me?
What song are you crushing on right now?
Can you eat veggies plain?
What is your favorite vegetable?