Sweet Potato Carob Rice Pudding

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 27, 2011

My mind was going a mile a minute yesterday. There’s lots of change, opportunity, and set backs brewing in our life right now.

Although change can be scary at times, it brings with it new opportunities, lessons, and chances for us to amaze ourselves.

Many of the things that are happening are very exciting, I can’t wait to fill you all in.

My dreams really are coming true which proves to me how important it is to scream to the universe I’M READY, I KNOW MY PURPOSE! It took me years to gain the courage to scream these words, but I’m screaming and the universe is listening!

As great as all this is, having a busy mind while trying to be creative in the kitchen usually leads to baking and photography disasters.

Hence the blue background with today’s recipe. I really shouldn’t have used blue. But the rice pudding did turn out perfectly on the first try, which is more than I can say about the 4 other recipes that I attempted to make.

You win some, you lose some, right?

[print_this]

Sweet Potato Carob Rice Pudding

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free

Carob is a great [healthy] caffeine free alternative to chocolate and combines well with the deep flavors of this pudding. Adding sweet potato to this rich and filling breakfast is a great way to sneak some extra veggies into your day.

Inspired by: my Sweet potato carob chip cookies and Oh She Glows

• 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup brown jasmine rice
  • 3/4 cup non-dairy milk [I used almond]
  • 1/4 cup finely grated sweet potato [uncooked]
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp coconut sugar aka palm sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp carob powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
  • pinch ground nutmeg
  • pinch of Himalayan rock salt

Topping: carob chips and coconut

1. Combine water, rice and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain remaining liquid and return rice to the stove top.
  2. Stir in almond milk, chia seeds, coconut sugar, vanilla, carob powder, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 20 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, stir in grated sweet potato.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in carob chips before serving.

Makes 1 serving.

Nutrition stats: calories 356; fat 10g; carbohydrates 59g; dietary fiber 10g; sugars 9g; protein 8g

Nutrient profile: high in vitamin A, E, dietary fiber and low in cholesterol.

[/print_this]

I’ve been so addicted to carob lately.

Like, mad addicted. Major cravings.

Sometimes [not all the time] the foods that your body is craving points to possible deficiencies. Interesting, no?

Carob is similar to cacao but with less sugar and 0 caffeine. Instead of being acidic like cacao, carob is alkalizing [meaning it contains loads of minerals!]. It’s flavor is nuttier and deeper than cacao and it leaves the most amazing aftertaste in your mouth. <3 The nutrients found in carob include:

• Calcium
  • Vitamin B
  • Potassium
  • Iron
  • Vitamin A & D

Hmm… so maybe my body is deficient in some of these nutrients, but what health benefits does carob bring to the table [hehe]?

• Helps to stabilize blood sugar.
  • Improves digestion. Helps to regulate things.
  • Works as an antioxidant. Neutralizes free radicals after a long workout.
  • Like coconut it is antibacterial and antiviral. Gosh only knows how much I crave coconut. These two really go hand in hand.

I totally understand why my body needs this right now.

If done in a healthy way, giving into your cravings may be exactly what your body needs. Our bodies are so intuitive and can usually tell us everything we need to know about our health, we just need to listen.

Bring on the carob!

Do you listen to your cravings in a healthful way?

Have you defined your life purpose to the universe [I swear it's fun to scream it... literally]?

Do you experience difficulty with change? How do you overcome it?

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude

I LOVE CAROB. I’ve been eating it for a few weeks, but I had no idea it was actually good for you! Lol! This sounds so insanely delicious. I.MUST.MAKE! :)

I am a firm believer in telling the universe what we want in life. (I have read The Secret and The Power and pretty much live by those books!!!!) <– the movie is also great, too.

I wake up and list what I grateful for, visualize what I want and feel the feelings of it, I do whatever i can. It's all about believing! :)

It really is about believing. I’m coming to understand that more and more everyday!

Tara @The Game of life

Unfortunately by body mostly craves desserts…. So, sometimes I just have to cave in!!

Kristina @ spabettie

I LOVE carob! I grew up with it, so after I was out on my own and cooking I embraced dark chocolate – I put myself through a total immersion learning program ;) and enjoyed many grades of dark chocolate, from all over the world.

while I still appreciate my chocolate, in the past year I have been enjoying carob again. it’s like coming home.

Clarkie @ Beloved Green

Love it, so much good yumminess here. I have not used carbo for a long time, but you certainly make it look worth going back too.

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I’ve never tried carob before but if it’s similar to cocoa I would not object ;)
I honestly am horrible with change. I absolutely hate it and fear it but I’m trying to take things day by day and just not freak out so much :)

Thanks a great approach, Jenny!

I have been addicted to carob, too, lately!!!! Like ohmygoodness this stuff is mighty tasty…..I gotta make this for din din tonight!

I’m glad we share our love for carob. I’m so amazed at how many people don’t like it!

Sandra's Easy Cooking

This is so beautiful and look extremely delicious! Wonderful photos too!

Kim

Changes give you a feeling of being uncomfortable and excited at the same time but are the only way to move forward……i’m excited to hear what you’ve asked from the Universe :-) Thanks for the carob ideas and info. I’ve wondered what it was and now am interested to try it for myself.

You’re right Kim, onward and upward! These are exciting times :) Can’t wait to hear what you thought of carob

Happy When Not Hungry

This looks delicious! Looks like a wonderful treat!

Sara @CaffeIna

I understand your situation! I’m in a moment of decisions and changes too and my head is spinning. Although this is generally good, I find it hard to bake sometimes. For example, I find it hard to be creating when my mind is so busy and I tend to stick to recipes more often. If what you come out with when your mind is busy is this rice pudding, though, I feel your mind is working great! It looks so delicious! Forget about the blue background :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

I always listen to my cravings. Like right now, I’m craving a big bowl of cereal – craving will be met in about 2 minutes! :)

Cara Craves...

I usually always listen to my cravings…even if it’s chocolate or ice cream…I don’t go and devour a whole chocolate bar or a carton of ice cream on a regular basis, but a little taste of something decadent can go a long way. No sense in depriving yourself!

That’s a great way of looking at it, Cara. Just a little bit at a time is not bad and it sure beats deprivation, or feeling deprived!

whitney

Thanks for listing the nutritional facts.

michelle

I’m not great about giving into my cravings. Working on it though! I’ve never seen brown jasmine rice? My girls love the flowery taste of jasmine but I would love to give them the healthier rice. Great recipe.

I hadn’t seen it either until a couple of weeks ago. They had both brown and white at our local health food store, so I opted for the brown version. I just checked Lundberg’s website and they have a brown jasmine too called “Organic California Brown Jasmine Rice”

Leah @ L4L

Yum! I know what I’m making next time I have leftover brown rice!

Sonia

I haven’t had carob in such a long time, I hardly remember what it tastes like… but I remember liking it and now I want some! As soon as Lent is over, I’m trying this recipe out (and munching on some carob chips while making it!) :)

munching on carob chips while making this recipe is a must!

Joy

This is a great recipe.

Rachel

YUM! Omg I am ADDICTED to carob too! Pretty much to the point where I eat it 3 times a day Hahah I’m so bad! I just can’t get over the fact that it is delicious but full of nutritious things :) Yay!