Is it Monday already? Bah!
My rest day was fantastic yesterday! But I’m really not ready to go back to the gym or work today.
I hadn’t realized it while planning this weeks’ posts, but there is an ongoing theme for many of the recipes this week.
fiber + healthy and happy digestion
I just love fiber, don’t you?
Abusing my body throughout my teenage and early adult years left me with a very broken digestive system.
After going through countless tests, x-rays, medications, hospital visits, acupuncture, massage therapists, and exercises I said enough is enough! And I made a promise to myself that I would heal this digestive tract of mine once and for all. So, I made a healing plan:
- 2 cups water + 2 tbsp lemon juice the moment I wake up
- Morning smoothie: 1 cup berries + Manitoba Harvest hemp pro 50+ 2 cups almond milk
- Solid foods 3 hours after waking up
- 2 tbsp soaked chia daily
- Cooked veggies only – I did a lot of roasting and steaming
- 3 liters of water daily – this is a challenging one. My trick is drinking 1 liter on my way to work and 1 liter on my way home. It’s SO much easier done like this!
… more to come throughout the week.
From start to finish, it took me 1 year to heal my digestive tract and I couldn’t be happier with the results. 1 year is a long time, but in the grand scheme of things, is nothing compared to the agony and pain I could still be going through. It’s just not worth it!
Who knew that a happy digestive system would bring me so much bliss?
On with the eats…
I’ve been running into so many macaroon recipes over the last couple of days. From strong vanilla flavored macaroons, chocolate macaroons, and sinfully sweet macaroons… each one of them making my craving for coconut that much stronger.
Come yesterday my body was screaming COCONUT! Something I just couldn’t ignore…
Banana Drunk Macaroons
Vegetarian, Gluten free, Dairy free
Treat your taste buds with these light and fluffy coconut morsels sweetened with bananas and made with love!
- 3 egg whites
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut butter, melted
- pinch of salt
* if you don’t have coconut butter, reduce shredded coconut by 1/2 cup.
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Form mixture into golf-ball-sized balls, place on prepared cookie sheet and flatten just slightly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes [mine were perfect at 17 minutes] or until golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before
scarfing down 4 or 5enjoying.
Makes 12 macaroons.
Nutrition stats [1 macaroon]: calories 119; fat 9g; saturated fat 8g; carbohydrate 9g; dietary fiber 3g; sugars 4g; protein 2g
What activities did you enjoy over the weekend?
Out of all the food you ate over the weekend, what was your favorite? Mine was probably the tahini and chickpea salad + homemade croutons I had for snack yesterday. Recipe to come!