Banana Drunk Macaroons

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on February 28, 2011

Is it Monday already? Bah!

My rest day was fantastic yesterday! But I’m really not ready to go back to the gym or work today.

I hadn’t realized it while planning this weeks’ posts, but there is an ongoing theme for many of the recipes this week.

fiber + healthy and happy digestion

I just love fiber, don’t you?

Abusing my body throughout my teenage and early adult years left me with a very broken digestive system.

After going through countless tests, x-rays, medications, hospital visits, acupuncture, massage therapists, and exercises I said enough is enough! And I made a promise to myself that I would heal this digestive tract of mine once and for all. So, I made a healing plan:

• 2 cups water + 2 tbsp lemon juice the moment I wake up
  • Morning smoothie: 1 cup berries + Manitoba Harvest hemp pro 50+ 2 cups almond milk
  • Solid foods 3 hours after waking up
  • 2 tbsp soaked chia daily
  • Cooked veggies only – I did a lot of roasting and steaming
  • 3 liters of water daily – this is a challenging one. My trick is drinking 1 liter on my way to work and 1 liter on my way home. It’s SO much easier done like this!

… more to come throughout the week.

From start to finish, it took me 1 year to heal my digestive tract and I couldn’t be happier with the results. 1 year is a long time, but in the grand scheme of things, is nothing compared to the agony and pain I could still be going through. It’s just not worth it!

Who knew that a happy digestive system would bring me so much bliss?

On with the eats…

I’ve been running into so many macaroon recipes over the last couple of days. From strong vanilla flavored macaroons, chocolate macaroons, and sinfully sweet macaroons… each one of them making my craving for coconut that much stronger.

Come yesterday my body was screaming COCONUT! Something I just couldn’t ignore…

Banana Drunk Macaroons

Vegetarian, Gluten free, Dairy free

Treat your taste buds with these light and fluffy coconut morsels sweetened with bananas and made with love!

• 3 egg whites
  • 2 bananas, mashed
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp coconut flour
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1/4 cup coconut butter, melted
  • pinch of salt

* if you don’t have coconut butter, reduce shredded coconut by 1/2 cup.

1. Preheat oven to 325F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
  3. Form mixture into golf-ball-sized balls, place on prepared cookie sheet and flatten just slightly.
  4. Bake for 15-20 minutes [mine were perfect at 17 minutes] or until golden.
  5. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before scarfing down 4 or 5 enjoying.

Makes 12 macaroons.

Nutrition stats [1 macaroon]: calories 119; fat 9g; saturated fat 8g; carbohydrate 9g; dietary fiber 3g; sugars 4g; protein 2g

What activities did you enjoy over the weekend?

Out of all the food you ate over the weekend, what was your favorite? Mine was probably the tahini and chickpea salad + homemade croutons I had for snack yesterday. Recipe to come!

OHMYGOSH This looks amazing! Seriously, I am bookmarking these and making them tonight! Thanks, girl!

Over the weekend I played some tennis and walked around the lake :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

My digestive system being happy has a lot to do with my happiness if you can believe it. I seriously can’t handle if my stomach hurts/feel constiptated/bloated/etc. Thanks for the tips!

I totally agree with you Chelsey, I’ve learned that with mine as well. Attitude plays a huge role!

Arthur

Over the weekend I made some amazing baby back ribs. I ended up with a sweet tooth yesterday, and these would have been perfect.

Yum! I haven’t had ribs in ages, probably at least 7 years from when I was working at a rib house [restaurant]. I’ll have to figure out how to cook them one of these days.

Britne @ Shabbott's Habits

Hi Leanne,
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog earlier. I love the looks of these coconut macaroons and any goody with <10 ingredients that is this simple is bound to end up in my kitchen. In fact, I'm traveling on Thursday and I bet that these would be a great grab-and-go snack while I'm out and about.

Yes, they totally would be! I have a couple in my bag today and I’m so happy I brought them along. Have a good trip :)

Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul

Oh yes! Yes, I am making these. I’ve also vowed to make almond milk this week, so I’ll try using the almond meal that I have left over in place of the coconut flour–since I don’t have any.
Thanks for sharing, I bet they’re absolutely delicious!

That is a fabulous idea! Almond pulp would work wonders in this recipe. I love using the almond milk pulp in granola!

Jill

Leanne,
Totally with you on the digestive front. Already had an ulcer recently and so sensitive to that issue! Your macaroons look delicious and the fact that they’re dairy free en plus is just wonderful. Would you mind if I steer people here to discover them? There is often some confusion between the coconut macar-oon and the other Parisian macar-on, which is also gluten-free! They are both so different but yummy.

Please do, the more the merrier! They are both very, very different but equally as tasty :)

Tracy @ Commit to Fit

I got to visit with my adorable nephew and had caramel cheesecake for my mom’s birthday :)

Lindsey @ Lindselicious

These sound great, I love the ingredient list. I will have to be on the hunt for Coconut Flour! I’m assuming Whole Foods might have it?

Whole foods should have it for sure. Or you could try removing the coconut flour and increasing the shredded coconut by 1/4 cup. They may not be as solid, but I bet they’ll taste just as good!

Joy

This looks great. This is a wonderful recipe.

Lauren @ WWoB

I can relate so much to the digestive woes! I also have lemon ginger hot water in the morning and try to drink at least a liter a day (3?!? props!). I am picky about which recipes I bookmark to make but I just bookmarked these. Right up my alley :)

Brandon

These look amazing Leanne! So happy I connected with you and your blog. :) I’m also incorporating daily things into my diet and lifestyle to help ease digestion. I don’t necessarily suffer from bad digestion, but prevention is key to good health, and having a diet that can be easily digested, absorbed and assimilated is definitely a plus! Looking forward to more posts.

-Brandon

Eizel

I hear digestion is one of the biggest changes as we get older – I myself am feeling it and am reminded that those teenage years are long gone :P

I love the yellows in your pics!

BigFatBaker

I love coconut! And I love the idea of a healing plan for your body. That sounds like something I am going to need to do! My favorite thing that I ate this weekend was probably the tuna tower at the sushi place by my apartment. Not quite healthy, but so tasty.

Sandra

Delicious and so tempting..I could eat basket-full:) Beautiful photos!

Happy When Not Hungry

These macaroons look delicious and so healthy. Love them!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat

I think its amazing that you fixed your own digestive system!
These look great, I am keeping this recipe.
I had a very relaxing weekend. The best food I ate was Vegan Gluten Free Coconut Pancakes! They were so beautiful I had to post them on my blog

I’m headed over right now to check out this recipe you speak of. They sound delicious!

Kate @ Diethood.com

I love macaroons! This is a great recipe… I really like that there’s banana in there… delicious!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

A happy digestive system definitely makes me a happy camper!! :)

Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie

Mmm, these little gems look rather good! I would love to have these around to munch on throughout the day as a healthful snack. Love it! And yes, fiber rocks! :-p

kate@ahealthypassion

oooh these macaroons look amazing, I love your plan and the fact that you are taking such good care of your body!

Jacqueline

These look amazing!

I went through a similar journey of getting my digestive tract functioning after 3 treatments of Lyme Disease. It IS a long road but SO worth it, right? And then cooking and baking becomes medicinal, which to me is very special.

I spent SO much time in the kitchen this weekend too, yay! Tapioca and Buckwheat GF crepes and a few cupcake recipes. LOVE the weekends :)

They are very tasty, I have just a few left tucked away in the freezer, hidden away from the snackers of the house. It’s only fair that the cook get the largest portion, right? Great to hear your digestion is doing better since your treatments, it’s totally worth it, 100%. I’ve never ever tried to make crepes before, yours sound delicious!

Becky

Your macaroons look so good and I love coconut. I am going have to go to Whole Foods for the various flours. Or did you get them at a health food store? I’m always looking for ways to eat healthier!

Unfortunately the closest Whole foods is 600 miles away :( so I get my flours at the local health food store. My favorites right now are almond flour [make sure to look for finely ground and blanched almond flour, JK Gourmet is a great brand] and chickpea flour [any kind will do]. Coconut flour is pretty popular, so it shouldn’t be a problem finding it at a health food store or Whole foods. Good luck, Becky! It’s great to hear you’re always on the lookout for healthful approaches to eating :)

Our Eyes Eat First

they def do look like they were made with love : j wonderful!

irena

Beautiful little cookies:)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Wow those macaroons look amazing. And I definitely think a happy digestive system is important. Mine has been all out of whack and I honestly have no idea what’s going on. The GI diagnosed me with IBS but nothing seems to work anymore. I’m just bloated all the time :(

I’ve been there, Jenny. It’s not a fun place, hey? I was told I had IBS years ago, then I was told there wasn’t much I could do about it. Didn’t seem logical. Have you thought about removing key allergens from your diet and seeing if that helps? Like dairy, wheat, soy? I found a lot of success with the tips I mentioned above, and there will be more to come in the following days.

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I love the tips, definitely going to try to incorporate drinking more water. As of now I drink like 5 cups a day. Did you notice a difference when you upped your water intake? I just hate having to pee so much lol I did cut out dairy and I felt better but when I introduced it I still felt fine. I haven’t tried going gluten free just bc I refuse to give up oats and cereal lol =/

The biggest difference I noticed was when I started eating chia. I swear by the stuff. If I miss one day of chia, I notice. If you go that route, make sure to soak it overnight in milk, juice or water and add to your smoothie in the morning, or use as a base for your cereal. Water had the second largest impact but it took me a long time to get up to the levels of what I’m at now. It’s so challenging! But I find drinking the minute I wake up and in the car to work does wonders at cutting into my daily requirement. I totally understand not wanting to give up oats and cereal. It’s an adjustment!

Sandra

Congrats on top 9 !!!!:)

JoyceLYH

Am not a fan of coconut but these look real wholesome!

Peggy

I love this banana & coconut combination! Definitely unique for a macaroon! =)

Becky

Congrats on the Top 9 today!!!

Marianne @ Meal Mixer

I’m going to go and get some coconut today! What do you think about replacing the coconut flour with oat flour? That’s a lot of water you drink; you have inspired me to go and get a big bottle right now.

Oat flour would work, I would throw in an extra tbsp of oat flour just because coconut flour is so dry. I’m glad you went for the water! Once you get into the habit of drinking more of it, it becomes much easier! Thanks for stopping by, Marianne!

Sherry

Adding this one to my menu planner. My coconut-crazed family thanks you, Leanne!

Glad to hear we’re not the only coconut crazed family out there. Happy I could help :)

sensiblecooking

I love the name itself Banana Drunk Macaroons. It will be wonderful to treat some of gluten allergic friends with this treat. Thank you for the healing tips, I will try to follow that too.

alyce

These look amazing. Congrats on your top 9!

Thank you, Alyce!

Claire

Firstly, I just adore that cute little basket :) Secondly, these look amazing. I love bananas in just about anything!

Thanks Claire! The basket actually inspired me to create the recipe haha, how backwards is that? I just knew it was begging to be filled with little coconut treats!

Monica

OH MY GOODNESS – your recipes are incredible! I have to make these as soon as possible!

Thank you Monica :) let me know how you like them when you do!

vivien @ the eclectic life

These look incredible! I look forward to making them soon. Thanks for the great recipe!

Christie {Nourishing Eats}

So glad I found you via Foodbuzz today! I am actually in the process of healing my digestive issues as well. My plan is a little different but I totally understand!

And those macaroons look might tasty :D

sonia

congrats on being on top 9 ! the banana macaroons are a new recipe for me, saving it for sure to try my hands soon !

Heidi @ Food Doodles

I’m definitely saving this recipe, they look awesome!

onioncloute

These look amazing! I cannot wait to try them! Last weekend I finished moving out of my old apartment (finally.) This weekend, I’m working the Farmer’s Market and chillaxing! It’s about time!

Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Moving is a lot of work, but it’s so fun to get into a new place! How are your new home? Great that you get to work at the Farmer’s Market, I’ve always wanted to do that!

DessertByCandy

Thank you for such a wonderful recipe! I made it a couple of nights ago and you’re right that it’s tough to stop at just one.

GingerandRice

I made these the other day, and they are delicious!

That’s great! I’m glad you liked them :)

Damjana

I bookmarked the recipe, it’s awesome! I’m going to make them in a pan since I don’t have an oven.
I like your blog!
xo Damjana

Jessy

I’ve just stumbled upon your recipes and wow, I’m amazed! I have bookmarked a bunch of them! :D

Moscha

I just looooooooooooooooooooooooove coconut and banana! Just never thought they can be used for a macarron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Amasing recipe! But were do you find the coconut flour? Great recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ESME

Hi Leanne,

I was wondering, when you want to work on you’re digistive system, dit you only eat vegetables en fruits for one year? No meat and grains?

I had well cooked grains and meats. I stuck to lots of beans and lentils, wild game meats, and chicken. Digestive enzymes and probiotics were a huge piece as well. Hope that helps!

Colette

Hi, I made your banana drunk macs tonight with some improvisations … I used gluten free flour instead of coconut, I cut the coconut down by 1/2 cup and combined powdered and large shredded, added a handful of carob chips, and walnuts. I flipped them twice, and cooked them on a sprayed pizza pan (formed little balls with my melon scooper) for twenty min. and ended up with little “to-go” coconut pancakes for my busy family. I’m looking forward to trying your carrot cake idea, as well. Just wanted to say thank you.

Diana

I hope you see this comment because I would love to make these. If I dont have coconut butter you say to reduce the shredded coconut…buuut dont I have to substitute it with somehting else?

Hi Diana – the melted coconut butter adds liquid more than anything. So if you’re not going to add the melted coconut butter, it’s best to remove some of the shredded coconut or it will be too dry. You can try to substitute with a couple tablespoons of coconut oil. I’ve had a couple of readers tell me that really worked for them. I hope that helps. Enjoy :)

Simone Kereit

Hey Leanne!
Looks delish! Question for you, browsing through your blog, I noticed you have coconut butter in some but I believe I have also seen coconut fat/oil in others. Is the coconut butter you talk about here some sort of concoction like another nut butter, juts made from coconut, or is it the extra virgin coconut used for cooking?
Thx!

Hi Simone – great question! Coconut oil is similar to olive oil, it’s the oil pressed out of the coconut. Coconut butter is like almond butter, peanut butter, etc. It’s mashed up coconut.
An example of coconut oil: http://nutiva.com/products/coconut-oil-organic-benefits-nutiva/
Example of coconut butter: http://www.artisanafoods.com/products/coconut-butter
I hope that makes sense!

Simone Kereit

:) I guess I will blend up some coconut into coconut butter, I do have the coconut oil, would’ve been quicker ;)
Thanks so much for getting back to me

Heidi

Hiya Leanne,

love the sound of this recipe and I’ve been wanting to make it for ages but just like Simone I’m having difficulties with the coconut ingredients. I already have and use coconut oil and have found some organic creamed coconut. Last time I saw that was on holiday in Spain where it was nearly fluid due to the heat (but still yummy in a Curry). Here the block is absolutely solid. Can I just use that, as it turns fluid like butter anyway?
Cheers, Heidi

Sounds like the organic creamed coconut would do the trick! More so than the coconut oil. If all you have is oil, try replacing the coconut butter in the recipe with another nut butter – like sesame butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter. The oil will make these ones a bit too liquidy and challenging to bake. Good luck :)

Heidi

Hey Leanne,
munching away at my first batch of macaroons – still warm from the oven ;-) oh so yummy!
Just wanted to say – I left out the coconut butter and didn’´t substitute it all ( just reduced grated coconut as stated) and they still turned out great… And so easy to make!
As I’m in a x-mas backing frenzy I’ll also be making your double down chocolate power muffins later on – but first – off to some power yoga – have to make sure all these yummies don’t pile up on me!
Thanks for all your great recipes and tips!
Happy Christmas ;-)

Jen

Do you think I could use flax eggs instead? I can’t have eggs right now, but would love to try these!

I’ve been told that flax eggs or chia egg works well!

nat

Made these today. Tasted great. I made 15 instead of 12. The only difference is I used finely shredded coconut so I did not get the lovely outer coconut crust thing happening. They came out more like beige coloured balls….still yummy and moist though!!

G

these look great. would they work with all coconut flour too instead of the shredded?

If you used coconut flour, it wouldn’t be a macaroon, but you could make something like these instead: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/01/grain-free-ginger-spice-muffin-tops/

Leanne

My bananas are the overripe ones that I’ve saved in the freezer (like for banana bread) – would these bananas work for this recipe??

Cheryl

I added raw cacao nibs and hemp hearts… I love them and so do my kids!! Amazing recipe