I don’t even know where to begin with this one. This recipe combines my favourite flavours, ingredients, and packs one mean nutritious punch!
I guess I’ll just start off by saying – if you’re looking for an energy drink, warm or cold, this should be your weapon of choice.
Coconut water: Coconut water is found in the middle of a coconut. I use coconut water as athletes do Gatorade. Only this stuff is pure, has 0 artificial sugar, fat free, and is higher in electrolytes. It contains high amounts of potassium [more than a banana] and is a great re hydration drink for children in place of pedialyte.
Yerba Mate: In pure form, Yerba Mate contains 2/3 the caffeine as regular coffee. Native to South America, this tea is extremely high in antioxidants that neutralize harmful chemicals and radical damage in the body, promoting overall health. These antioxidants have been known to reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, and slow the aging process.
It’s also known for it’s ability to suppress appetite because of it’s high levels of chromium and thermogenic ability. Thermogenic [or thermogenesis] means that the tea is able to increase the temperature of the body, helping to burn calories and supporting weight loss [also seen in coconut oil].
Yerba Mate has 2x more antioxidants than green or black tea!
Power Vanilla Citrus Yerba Mate
Start your day off with a (healthful) kick of antioxidants, electrolytes and thermogenesis
- 2 – 330mL coconut water (I used ZICO – found at many Natural Health Stores)
- 2 orange slices
- 2 lemon slices
- 1 vanilla bean (1 teaspoon of vanilla extract will work too)
- Slice vanilla bean down the center and scrape out the inner paste. Place paste and bean in a small saucepan along with orange and lemon slices
- Empty coconut water into saucepan. Cover and heat on medium-high until boiled. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat and drop in 2 bags of Yerba Mate
- Cover and let steep for 8-10 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
Makes 2.5 cups of tea (2-3 servings)