I must have spring on the brain. Everything I’ve eaten today is green.
Breakfast #1: Green Monster
Breakfast #2: Added hemp powder to my cereal
Snack: Cucumbers and leftover cilantro pesto
Lunch: Green and Clean Pesto Lentil Patties on a ginormous spinach salad
Snack: Kale salad with pumpkin seeds…
One of my friends growing up [who had the best head of red hair I’ve ever seen] used to tell everyone that his hair was red because he ate a lot of tomatoes. I instantly believed that the colour of my food would determine the colour of my hair. Naturally, I ate a lot of pink things so I could have hair like Jem.
But green?… Will I turn into a goblin?
While I’m over here turning green, be sure to check out my new tab: OMGIIDERNIGTD snacks [Oh-my-gosh-if-I-don’t-eat-right-now-I’m-going-to-die snacks]. A compilation of quick snack ideas for people [and families] on the go.
Green and Clean Pesto Lentil Patties
Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
Bring on the green! These patties are fantastic on their own, rolled up in a rice wrap, crumbled up over rice, or enjoyed like a burger.
- 1 1/3 cup dry green lentils
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup cilantro
- handful spinach
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 clove garlic (or 1/2 onion)
- 1 tablespoon jalapenos (if you don’t like spicy foods omit. These patties are just as fantastic without them)
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbamare
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cup quinoa flakes – gluten free breadcrumbs, almond flour, or wheatgerm would work well [wheat germ contains gluten]
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 2 yellow potatoes, boiled and mashed
Lime Mayo Dressing
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 cup canola mayonnaise, egg-less canola mayonnaise or Nayonaise if vegan
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Combine water and lentils in a medium sized saucepan. Boil until water has absorbed and lentils are soft
- Meanwhile, combine cilantro, spinach, cashews, garlic, jalapenos, lime juice, herbamare, and olive oil in food processor. Pulse until fully combined and slightly creamy. Drop into large mixing bowl
- Combine lentils, quinoa flakes, zucchini, potatoes and pepper in the large mixing bowl
- Scoop about 1/3 cup of mix in your hand and pat down. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for lime mayo dressing.
- Serve with vegetables and dressing!
Makes 15-20 patties