Veggie bacon bits
- 175g firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon braggs soya sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 bunch chives
- 1 teaspoon herbamare
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoon lemon juice
- batch of veggie bacon (above)
- 2 large bunches of kale
- To make the veggie bacon bits: combine all ingredients but tofu in a glass container. Drop cubed tofu into container and stir to coat. Cover and allow to marinate in the fridge overnight or at least 4 hours before. The next day: Preheat oven to 375F. Place marinated tofu on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until tofu is very crunchy. Remove from heat and cut into small pieces, or pulse in food processor. The smaller the bacon, the better they’ll stick to the chips.
- To make the kale chips: blend all ingredients, except the kale and bacon, in a food processor or high-speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- Wash and dry the kale leaves and strip leaves from the stems. Tear into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl. Add the mixture from the food processor or blender and pour over the kale leaves. Add the bacon and massage the kale with your hands, ensuring you cover all the leaves well into all the crevices.
- Dehydrator version: Prepare your dehydrator trays (6-8) with parchment paper, and place the coated kale leaves down on the tray with the leaves touching, but not overlapping. Dehydrate for 12 hours at 105F. Cool and store in an air-tight container.
- Oven version: Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place coated kale bits on cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating once. Be sure to check often as they can burn quite easily. Eat immediately.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 284
- Calories from Fat: 174
- Total Fat: 19.3
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 970 mg
- Carbs: 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.4 g
- Net Carbs: 15.2 g
- Sugars: 1.3 g
- Protein: 12.8 g