- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup red onion
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 3 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1.5 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- pinch of chili (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cup brown basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced (yield 1 cup)
- 1 cup small cauliflower florets
- 1 medium yellow or orange bell pepper, diced (yield 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup raisins – I used red flame raisins
- large pinch saffron
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly oil a deep 2 liter casserole dish with half the coconut oil.
- Heat remaining coconut oil over medium-high heat and saute onions for 5 minutes. Add spices and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the onion mix and remaining ingredients to the prepared casserole dish.
- Cover and place in the preheated oven for 75-80 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Allow to sit with the lid tight for 5-10 minutes to allow the rice to continue to soften.
- Serve alongside additional protein, if required. Can be packaged in air-tight containers and frozen for up to 2 months.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Pump up the protein by adding in cooked lentils or chickpeas before or after cooking. For a non-vegan protein idea, try adding slices of hard boiled egg after the casserole comes out of the oven.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 269
- Calories from Fat: 31
- Total Fat: 3.4
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 182 mg
- Carbs: 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.5 g
- Net Carbs: 51.3 g
- Sugars: 8.3 g
- Protein: 5.5 g