- 3/4 cup coconut butter
- 1 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight – see note
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup arrowroot
- 2/3 cup red quinoa, uncooked
- 1 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- To make the frosting:
- Mix all ingredients with a hand mixer or food processor.
- note: I used 2 cans of organic coconut milk, chilled overnight. Pierced a hole in the bottom of each can and drained out the coconut water. Allowed the coconut cream to soften on the counter for an hour before I began the recipe.
- note2: recipe could be made vegan if agave nectar is used instead of unpasteurized honey.
- note3: if the frosting is too soft to spread on the cake, place in the fridge for 20 minutes and retry.
- To make the cake:
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and water. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat [keep covered!] and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Once complete, fluff with fork and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F
- Lightly grease two 9 inch round pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper [believe me, it’s worth the effort. Just DO it!]. Set aside.
- Combine milk, eggs, and vanilla in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add 2 1/4 cup of the cooked quinoa, and the coconut oil. Blend until smooth [may be challenging to do, just blend it as best you can]
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut sugar, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the contents of the blender to the bowl and mix well with a hand mixer.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and bake on the middle rack of your oven for 40-50 minutes [my cake was perfectly cooked at 48 minutes]. You can test to determine if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the middle.
- Allow cakes to cool for a couple of hours before removing from the pans and topping with icing.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 542
- Calories from Fat: 308
- Total Fat: 34.2
- Saturated Fat: 28.4 g
- Cholesterol: 55> mg
- Sodium: 214 mg
- Carbs: 59.8 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.6 g
- Net Carbs: 51.2 g
- Sugars: 38.2 g
- Protein: 7.5 g