- 1 loaf of homemade grain-free bread
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1 cup apple juice – I used homemade
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced – yield 1 cup
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Roughly chop fresh-baked bread into 1 inch chunks (it doesn’t have to be perfect). Place the pieces on a large baking sheet and place in the oven (do not turn it on!). Keep it there for 24 hours. If it’s still moist, let it sit in a 170F oven for about 20 minutes or so. The bread should be a bit more moist than croutons, but not soft. This step will help the bread retain its shape in the stuffing, so don’t skip it!
- Place the bread chunks in a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 2.3 L/2.5 qt. casserole dish with a dab of coconut or olive oil.
- Combine apple juice and dried cranberries in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook until soft, about 7 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, parsley, thyme, sage, pepper, salt, ginger and cinnamon, and stir to combine.
- Add vegetable mixture to bread and toss to combine being sure not to over mix.
- Now, pour the apple juice and cranberry mixture over top. Again, be sure not to over mix, just toss, then add to the prepared casserole dish.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit with the cover on for 5 minutes.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
You could also use store bought gluten-free bread if you’re not concerned with grains and want to make this recipe vegan. You’ll need about 6 cups of cubed bread for the recipe.
I have not tried to replace the eggs in this recipe with flax eggs or egg replacer. I would imagine that it wouldn’t work, but if you give it a shot, let me know!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 251
- Calories from Fat: 123
- Total Fat: 13.6
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 82> mg
- Sodium: 251 mg
- Carbs: 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.9 g
- Net Carbs: 18.6 g
- Sugars: 6.8 g
- Protein: 8.3 g