- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked
Cayenne Roasted Veggies
- 1 yellow pepper, diced small
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 10 asparagus spears, diced small
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch cayenne
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unpasteurized apple vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt or Herbamare
- dash freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Wash wild rice with hot tap water, drain.
- Combine water, rice, and salt in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer until rice is tender and has absorbed the water, about 30-45 minutes. If you want chewier rice, drain at the 30 minute mark as I did. The rice should be tender but not rolled back or mushy. Once complete, drain and place in a medium sized bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F.
- Place pepper, carrot, and asparagus in a cast iron pan and stir to coat with coconut oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cayenne. Place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender. Alternatively, you can do this on a stove top, cooking on medium heat for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove veggies from oven and place in the bowl with rice.
- In a small dish combine olive oil, maple syrup, vinegar and mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over salad, stir, and top with sunflower seeds.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 401
- Calories from Fat: 157
- Total Fat: 17.5
- Saturated Fat: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 377 mg
- Carbs: 55.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.2 g
- Net Carbs: 47.1 g
- Sugars: 12.3 g
- Protein: 11.2 g