- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or Braggs aminos or gluten-free tamari
- 4 teaspoons red curry paste, divided
- 3 teaspoon grape seed oil, divided
- 550 grams boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 3 half breasts), cubed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 yellow onions, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely diced fresh ginger
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 2 small red bell peppers
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Add aminos, 3 teaspoons of curry paste and 1 teaspoon of grape seed oil to a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Place in a resealable plastic bag and add chicken. Seal and swish the chicken around until it’s coated. Set in the fridge and allow to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 2 teaspoons of the remaining oil in a medium saucepan with cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Heat on medium-high heat for 1 minute, or until seeds begin to pop. Be sure to stir constantly to avoid burning. Add onions, ginger and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent.
- Add marinaded chicken (and all sauce that you can possibly get out of the bag), stock, peppers, tomato and ground pepper. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add water and arrowroot to a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Add to the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Continue stirring until cooked, so that the bottom doesn’t burn, for 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through. 5 minutes before completion, stir in remaining 1 teaspoon of red chili sauce and curry powder for an extra kick of bold flavor!
- Serve over top rice, quinoa or with a side of papadums.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Any type of oil can be used. If you’d like to make vegan, I’m sure cooked chickpeas could be used. Perhaps 3 cups? If you’re allergic to tomatoes, omit. I haven’t tried to replace the arrowroot starch with anything. You could try tapioca or corn starch instead but I haven’t tested this.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 289
- Calories from Fat: 97
- Total Fat: 10.7
- Saturated Fat: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 74> mg
- Sodium: 1314 mg
- Carbs: 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
- Net Carbs: 14 g
- Sugars: 6.9 g
- Protein: 28.9 g